YC deposit - How does it work when you change your mind?

KyleClark

I am thinking about booking the YC for Oct 2023.  I understand the $398 is non-refundable.  If we change our minds we can move the deposit to another date?  If so, what do I need to know about that and is there a cutoff for how far out you can move the deposit?

Thanks,

Kyle

29 minutes ago, KyleClark said:

I am thinking about booking the YC for Oct 2023.  I understand the $398 is non-refundable.  If we change our minds we can move the deposit to another date?  If so, what do I need to know about that and is there a cutoff for how far out you can move the deposit?

Thanks,

Kyle

As with ALL things MSC, YMMV. Any answers you get here may or may not work based on who you talk to, the phase of the moon, if mercury is rising, etc.

But, section 13 here explains what you want....

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/us/documents/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-221115-FINAL.pdf

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

You can make one change without penalty. it can be ship, date, or whatever. If you cancel, then you will lose your deposit, which in the YC, is non refundable.

It's actually a little more complicated than that...that's why I pointed the OP to the T&C. It depends on when you make the change (there may or may not be a fee), and the change has to be within a certain timeframe.

Ditto with cancellation. Depending on the reason, the deposit may be refundable. He's an except as an example: 

The Company may, in its sole discretion, waive the fees mentioned in this Section 13 if in the Company’s determination the cancellation is due to Force Majeure circumstance occurring at the place of destination or its immediate vicinity and which Force Majeure circumstance significantly affects the performance of the Cruise Package, or which significantly affects the carriage of Passengers to the destination.

We had a YC cruises booked for next year. 
After our MSC YC cruise in October, we decided the YC experience was not close to what it used to be.

we decided to cancel our remaining cruises because of these issues. The cruises were for older MSC ships.

Issues were….

We were on older MSC ship and YC food, cabin and amenities were very disappointing. 
When cruise fare is 5 figures, we expected a YC level experience similar to the ones we have had on newer ships. We always book RS and this time booked Largest Suite on Divina. We had cockroaches in our bathroom. Every day,, scatter of the roaches. Reported it and told they are aware of it and unable to control it. 
No Nespresso machine in cabin and we were  on Deck 12. Butler said it was difficult to bring coffee to cabin each morning since we were not in actual YC. We should go up to lounge or to restaurant (aft) for breakfast. 
Left door hanger for room service but, fulfilled 1 out of 3 times.

Butler informed us we must vacate cabin by 11 as that is the only time for service. We told him  to not service cabin if that was the case.

We had evening service, we went to dinner. 
There was more but this is sufficient…..

We notified TA to cancel our cruises and request deposit refund. 
After some back and forth, request was made ..

Fortunately, he received notice of itinerary changes for cruises. 
This allowed us to get refund.

Refund cleared within 2 weeks.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, phissy said:

After our MSC YC cruise in October, we decided the YC experience was not close to what it used to be.

we decided to cancel our remaining cruises because of these issues. The cruises were for older MSC ships.

Issues were….

We were on older MSC ship and YC food, cabin and amenities were very disappointing. 
When cruise fare is 5 figures, we expected a YC level experience similar to the ones we have had on newer ships. We always book RS and this time booked Largest Suite on Divina. We had cockroaches in our bathroom. Every day,, scatter of the roaches. Reported it and told they are aware of it and unable to control it. 
No Nespresso machine in cabin and we were  on Deck 12. Butler said it was difficult to bring coffee to cabin each morning since we were not in actual YC. We should go up to lounge or to restaurant (aft) for breakfast. 

Butler informed us we must vacate cabin by 11 as that is the only time for service. We told him  to not service cabin if that was the case.

I had quit sailing MSC, but for reasons out of my control find myself on 2 future bookings. I really, really wish I didn't read your post. Not sure what I'd do if there were roaches in my room. The rest of the stuff is horrible by itself, but the roaches are just too much.

And please, please, please no people posting about how they saw roaches on their ships too. Let me remain blissfully informant please 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

....The rest of the stuff is horrible by itself, but the roaches are just too much.

And please, please, please no people posting about how they saw roaches on their ships too. Let me remain blissfully informant please 🙂

It happens.....just stamp on them, there is a most satisfying crunching noise in their demise when doing so. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Issues were….

Wow. I would be disappointed too. 

5 hours ago, phissy said:

"...we decided the YC experience was not close to what it used to be."

*Shrugs*

At this point in time, it seems the cruise ships' supplying, staffing, et cetera, needed for optimal passenger experience is a roll of the dice.

I peruse the CC boards across all tiers of cruising and rest assured, the pax who are dropping twice the price of YC (and more) for their cruises are kvetching about inedible food and shoddy service, just like the mass market cruisers' gripes. Remember the "bacon debacle" that had the Carnivalers (Carnals? Carnies?) up in arms?

Heck, one of the priciest cruise lines currently has complaints on their CC board about a passenger's dog that was defecating in public and sitting on the furniture. Some folks took offense at such an occurrence on a five-figures-per-passenger luxury cruise. (The "official" word was that the pooch was a service animal, but circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate otherwise. 😉)

So what does it all mean? Well, as long as supply costs are up and labor is hard to acquire/keep, no cruises are going to be like they used to be. I'd wager a year from now, lots of cruises, at all price points, will be even less like they used to be.

We pays our money and we takes our chances.

I recently changed to a different itinerary, leaving on the same day. I kept a comparable Yacht Club room. 

The price listed on the website was a couple thousand dollars less than they quoted me over the phone to "transfer" the booking. So I had a choice, pay the new price or cancel my booking and re-book. So I lose either way.