Drink package question from NCL newbie

Bxc53

We are looking at our first NCL cruise next year.  Past cruises have been mostly Celebrity and RCL. 
Wondering what the “ Free at Sea” package includes, drink wise. We usually only have 2-3 drinks/day, but do like decent brands. A typical day in warm climates might be a Vodka tonic in the afternoon, then a bourbon rocks or two in the evening. What would be some of the “ included “ brands vs premium at, I assume, extra cost. 

Thanks for any insights .

30 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

We are looking at our first NCL cruise next year.  Past cruises have been mostly Celebrity and RCL. 
Wondering what the “ Free at Sea” package includes, drink wise. We usually only have 2-3 drinks/day, but do like decent brands. A typical day in warm climates might be a Vodka tonic in the afternoon, then a bourbon rocks or two in the evening. What would be some of the “ included “ brands vs premium at, I assume, extra cost. 

The included brands are all good quality brands. There may be a bourbon that is not included that you want but you just pay the difference above $15 plus 20% on the difference.

Here is some menus to show pricing that says it’s from 2022.

https://profcruise.com/norwegian-bar-menus-2022/

Getting the drink package makes sense if you plan on drink at least 2 drinks a day.

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bxc53 said:

Wondering what the “ Free at Sea” package includes, drink wise. We usually only have 2-3 drinks/day, but do like decent brands.

Definitely opt-into the FAS base package for drinks.  You pay the daily gratuities portion, yes, but it's a way better value than out of pocket for drinks, soda, virgin drinks, etc. 

Thereafter, if you are wedded to more selected liquors not in the basic package, then consider the Premium Plus package, which is a larger $$$ upcharge. The math may or may not work for you - only you can know that based on your tastes.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

Thanks for the good info. I am a bit embarrassed that I didn’t Google hard enough initially.

Nothing to be embarrassed about.  The whole point of this message board is to get answers to your questions. 

• Like 6

On 11/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, Bxc53 said:

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers and recently booked our first NCL in about 10 years. Our booking included the FAS drinks package also, but after comparing what was included and what was not, that we had become used to on Celebrity, we decided to opt out of the Drink package and have the gratuities for the drinks removed from our cost. Ours was a 15 day cruise, and the gratuities alone for the drinks was almost $700. Considering my wife rarely drinks, I couldn't see myself getting $700 of value on drinks that I would frequently be upgrading on anyway. I hadn't heard of any line having you pay the gratuities up front for your drink package, but I'm not that familiar with what others, like Princess, RCL, etc do. Maybe Celebrity just has the best drinks package. 

9 minutes ago, clojacks said:

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers and recently booked our first NCL in about 10 years. Our booking included the FAS drinks package also, but after comparing what was included and what was not, that we had become used to on Celebrity, we decided to opt out of the Drink package and have the gratuities for the drinks removed from our cost. Ours was a 15 day cruise, and the gratuities alone for the drinks was almost $700. Considering my wife rarely drinks, I couldn't see myself getting $700 of value on drinks that I would frequently be upgrading on anyway. I hadn't heard of any line having you pay the gratuities up front for your drink package, but I'm not that familiar with what others, like Princess, RCL, etc do. Maybe Celebrity just has the best drinks package. 

On RCL you pay for the package and the gratuities, it’s a lot pricier than NCL.

2 hours ago, clojacks said:

The breakeven on the gratuities on NCL is an average of 2 drinks a day so if your wife didn't drink all week it would be just 4 drinks a day for you.  Carnival an Royal both add gratuity to their packages when you purchase them pre-cruise but they also charge a lot more for the package.  I know Celebrity does not charge additional for gratuities on their drink package but they are pulling it out of the cruise fare(hopefully).  If a Celebrity cruise for 2 is $2,400 and a comparable NCL cruise is $2,100 plus $300 for the gratuities, I don't see the difference.  

4 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

The breakeven on the gratuities on NCL is an average of 2 drinks a day so if your wife didn't drink all week it would be just 4 drinks a day for you.  Carnival an Royal both add gratuity to their packages when you purchase them pre-cruise but they also charge a lot more for the package.  I know Celebrity does not charge additional for gratuities on their drink package but they are pulling it out of the cruise fare(hopefully).  If a Celebrity cruise for 2 is $2,400 and a comparable NCL cruise is $2,100 plus $300 for the gratuities, I don't see the difference.  

Check what Celebrity's even basic package includes...bottled water, soft drinks, special coffees, juice, none of which are covered in NCL's FAS base program. In addition, on Celebrity, if you want to upgrade a particular drink, you pay the difference in the cost, not for the entire drink. The comparison isn't even close IMHO...

21 hours ago, JGmf said:

Thereafter, if you are wedded to more selected liquors not in the basic package, then consider the Premium Plus package, which is a larger $$$ upcharge. The math may or may not work for you - only you can know that based on your tastes.

Your breakeven between standard and Premium Plus package is $35/day.  For alcohol only (unless you're into Champagne, as I am) it's difficult to justify.  If that Bourbon is $17-20 per drink, you won't be able to walk straight by the time you get your money's worth.

However, P+ includes a couple other nice perks which may (or may not) be of value:  Starbucks, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, and bottles of wine with dinner to name the big ones.  

There's no right or wrong answer here, your anticipated habits will either justify it or not.

2 hours ago, clojacks said:

Ok so now I am a little confused.  I thought that Celebrity includes the drink package at no charge including tips.  I just did a mock booking and that is not the case.  On the 7 day balcony I mocked, its an additional $437 per person to get drinks, wifi and automatic gratuities included.  The gratuities are $17.50pppd so that comes to $122.50 on the seven days.  That means you are paying $314.50 for wifi and the drink package.  On NCL you are getting the wifi and drink package for $152.60.  You are actually paying more on Celebrity than NCL.  

4 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Check what Celebrity's even basic package includes...bottled water, soft drinks, special coffees, juice, none of which are covered in NCL's FAS base program. In addition, on Celebrity, if you want to upgrade a particular drink, you pay the difference in the cost, not for the entire drink. The comparison isn't even close IMHO...

On NCL the limit is $15 and if you want to get something above $15 you are also only paying the difference plus 20% gratuity on the difference.  

14 minutes ago, clojacks said:

You are paying an additional $122.50 on a 7 day cruise for those items.  

Celebrity plays around with pricing. Sometimes, you can only book All Inclusive...other times they offer cruise only pricing. We booked a short Caribbean cruise back in the summer for early January, and at the time they only had All Inclusive. Now, they offer the same cruise as a Cruise only price, and our AI is actually lower than the Cruise only price right now. 

In my opinion, which I really am not here to argue, Celebrity's AI value is far above and beyond NCL's FAS. Celebrity's wifi is unlimited, I believe, gratuities are covered, and drink package is much better. However, NCL does offer the dining offer, and shore excursion offer, but neither would break it for me as I almost always have way to much OBC from Celebrity and our TA to use for specialty dining on Celebrity. Just one persons viewpoint, to be fair.

3 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Celebrity plays around with pricing. Sometimes, you can only book All Inclusive...other times they offer cruise only pricing. We booked a short Caribbean cruise back in the summer for early January, and at the time they only had All Inclusive. Now, they offer the same cruise as a Cruise only price, and our AI is actually lower than the Cruise only price right now. 

In my opinion, which I really am not here to argue, Celebrity's AI value is far above and beyond NCL's FAS. Celebrity's wifi is unlimited, I believe, gratuities are covered, and drink package is much better. However, NCL does offer the dining offer, and shore excursion offer, but neither would break it for me as I almost always have way to much OBC from Celebrity and our TA to use for specialty dining on Celebrity. Just one persons viewpoint, to be fair.

I understand.  Not trying to attack you over it.  Just trying to point out its not as cut and dry.  I am an accountant by trade so I always comparison shop and go with the best value.  Sometimes it NCL and sometimes its not.  

Just now, Liljo22 said:

I understand.  Not trying to attack you over it.  Just trying to point out its not as cut and dry.  I am an accountant by trade so I always comparison shop and go with the best value.  Sometimes it NCL and sometimes its not.  

How do you determine 'best value'?  I sort of doubt the commonly accepted principle of accounting address cruise packages and pricing in any detail.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

How do you determine 'best value'?  I sort of doubt the commonly accepted principle of accounting address cruise packages and pricing in any detail.

Ha.  No you are right but I refuse to overspend both at work and in my personal life.  First off, My wife and I will almost always get a drink package no matter the line so I factor that into the price comparison.  I look at similar ships and itineraries.  Let's say a 7 day balcony for 2 on NCL is $1,500 but includes the drink package and a Royal Cruise is $1,200 but I am going to spend $1100 on the package, its a no brainer to go with NCL.  I didn't even factor in the 2 dinners that are probably going to cost an extra $200 on RCL.  

I will say that sometimes I will overlook value if its something I really want to do.  I booked a pre-Christmas cruise and was comparing NCL and RCL(also MSC but not ready to pull the trigger on them yet).  The NCL was a 5 day on the Encore and the RCL was on the Oasis.  The NCL was about $500 more for 2 in a balcony but the package on RCL was $660 so NCL was still the better value.  I haven't tried an Oasis class ship yet so I gave up the extra day and the savings to give it a try.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, clojacks said:

That’s not true, if a drink costs $17.00 on NCL you will pay $2 plus gratuity on $2.

• Like 2

The dining and drink packages can be refused, and you avoid the grats on them. We typically take the dining option and pay the grats, which are not very much. But we don't drink very  often so we always refuse the drink package. Our next cruise we selected to get the free wifi, shore excursion credit, and meals.

14 hours ago, clojacks said:

Starting Jan 1st., the basic beverage package (PBP) on NCL includes six 1L boxes of "bottled" water. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, Liljo22 said:

Nothing to be embarrassed about.  The whole point of this message board is to get answers to your questions. 

Absolutely a great comment, I get annoyed when people tell people to search themselves - just plain rude, no problem in sharing information even if its already been said.

• Like 2

This is helpful information. I was thinking that the ~$300 gratuity means it covers $1500 in liquor purchases which is what I would spend on booze over several years, but 2 per day seems plausible. Plenty of good liquors to choose from on the list. Let's get lit!

A few follow up questions:

Would a labor intensive mixed drink such as an Old Fashioned made  with a bourbon on the  list be covered under the $15 limit?

What kind of juices, coffee drinks are covered? Is there a type of juice I can get that is not available without the package? I understand Starbucks is excluded but could I, say, order a cappuccino after dinner in the main dining room? 

Thanks