Query on leaving ship and flights times in NY

LauraAnneC

Hi all,

I’ll be arriving back in New York on the Getaway on 18 February. My flight back to Ireland leaves JFK at 7pm.

I’m undecided as to whether I should stay an extra night to avoid hanging around the airport all day. 

I did see that there is a bus tour of NY that will drop you at JFK run by NCL but I wonder if anyone has any experience of this. 

Does anyone know what’s the latest time you can leave the ship? 

thanks, Laura 

Hi Laura,

I would stay an extra night especially if you are flying to Ireland.  You will be refreshed the next day to "enjoy" your flight back home.

I have always flown back home the same day BUT NO MORE since my last cruise in September.  I only had to fly to Quebec from NYC an hour or so flight.  I was up at 5 AM on the ship, at the airport at 10:30,  with a flight at 3:30 PM and didn't get to my apartment until 9 PM that night.  I have a cruise in May from Miami and will stay the extra night.

Taking the bus tour will kill some time but again it will be a long day!   I would think the latest time one would leave the ship is around 9 AM.

Think about it.  You've enjoyed at least 7 relaxing and fun filled days.  Why not enjoy one more day of down time.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

happytotravel

10 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hi Laura,

I would stay an extra night especially if you are flying to Ireland.  You will be refreshed the next day to "enjoy" your flight back home.

I have always flown back home the same day BUT NO MORE since my last cruise in September.  I only had to fly to Quebec from NYC an hour or so flight.  I was up at 5 AM on the ship, at the airport at 10:30,  with a flight at 3:30 PM and didn't get to my apartment until 9 PM that night.  I have a cruise in May from Miami and will stay the extra night.

Taking the bus tour will kill some time but again it will be a long day!   I would think the latest time one would leave the ship is around 9 AM.

Think about it.  You've enjoyed at least 7 relaxing and fun filled days.  Why not enjoy one more day of down time.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

happytotravel

Thanks HappytoTravel! That’s good advice. I really just needed to hear someone say stay over! 

They really do want you off the ship by 9 AM.

I would probably go with the hotel—less stress and you can drop off your luggage in the morning, even before your room is ready.

My only word of caution is that it'll almost certainly be cold in New York in mid-February. I've not been to Dublin (yet!—I will get there!) but the average temperature in February will be comparable to New York, with New York being a few degrees colder. 

There are plenty of indoor activities, but if hotels are exorbitant and you're cold-averse, you might try the NCL excursion and/or booking yourself a lounge pass in the airport so you have somewhere comfy to spend the day.

• Like 1

@LauraAnneC NCL ships typically returned to & are docked at the Manhattan pier by 6:30 to 7 a.m. - weather, sea state & tidal conditions permitting ... and the Express / Priority self walk-off with one's luggage began around 7:15 to 7:30 a.m. - and usually, those with airport transfer/drive-by tour with airport drop-off are called fairly early, once the Platinum's & Haven folks are down, outside & heading toward the gangways into the terminal ... around 8 to 8:15 a.m. would be reasonable, based on experience.  Allowing 20 to 30 minutes to retrieve checked bags in the luggage mall, going thru CBP inspection as usual for bus passengers - usually are completed by/before 9 a.m. and off they go.  

Latest time for any & all passengers to leave the ship would be 9 to 9:30 a.m. at the latest or (10 a.m. - pushing it, security will be everywhere sweeping) else, NCL won't reach a "zero" count to then flip things around for the next sailing's embarkation.  NCL airport tours are mostly, from what I understood, a drive-thru tour of key hightlights in NYC, mostly all Manhattan, for those with flights after 3 to 4 p.m. (domestic/international) - tour duration is around 4 hours with airport dropoff with a 2 to 3 hours "window" before scheduled flight.  There are 1 or 2 quick stops to get off the bus, to strech & photos ... not sure if there's enough time to run for a public restroom (if any) and/or to get a quick bite as lunch.  Most recently, it was priced at $125 p/p (and, if you have FAS promo - reduced by $50 = $75, a pretty reasonable deal especially for solo cruisers.)  

Taxi fares to JFK is a flat rate (tolls for bridges & tunnels are going up, again ... like everything else, globally) with 20% tips, and congestion/MTA surcharges - come close to around $75 for the one-way ride to the airport, good for 3 adults hauling with reasonable luggage.  Simple JFK airport transfer by NCL was either $35 or $40, but FAS credit isn't applicable as I recall.  

For your international departure at JFK, you want to allow at least 3 hours, 3.5 to 4 hours being better (thus, you should be at JFK no later than 3:30 to 4 p.m. as the evenings are busy & peak time for international arrivals & departures, 7 days a week ...)  The NCL tour-ending-at JFK should drop you off by 2 to 3 pm, practical for those on a late afternoon or evening flight ... all the terminals should have functioning free WiFi (not VPN secured) for travelers to use at no charge.  Perhaps just a little too early but not by much, after getting thru check-in & security, passport checks ... plenty of time for a late lunch/early bird dinner, even if you don't have lounge access and not wanting to pay for a day pass/if available & offer in your airline's terminal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've taken the NCL excursion "Views of the Big Apple" to JFK several times and will do so again next month when my transatlantic cruise returns to NYC. I really enjoy riding around the City sightseeing while relaxing. Using the $50 excursion credit it's a very reasonable price to board the bus right at the cruise dock and spend some time in Manhattan before being taken out to the airport in the afternoon. Basically stress free travel. Most all flights to Europe depart in the evening hours so your timing would be perfect for the excursion. Save your hotel money for when you can visit New York on a proper vacation, February is not that desirable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

I’m undecided as to whether I should stay an extra night to avoid hanging around the airport all day. 

One way or the other, you'll be taking an overnight flight back.  The question is whether you'd like to sightsee for a day.  Nothing wrong with that, though February could be unpleasant.  If you add the day, you'd need to schlep bags to the hotel for storage but you won't be able to check-in until mid-afternoon.  Likewise, you'll check-out around Noon and the hotel will, presumably, hold your bags for the day while you sightsee.  You could then get an Uber or taxi to the airport. 

Personally, I wouldn't.  But if I were to schedule an extra day in NYC, I'd do it on the front end.  That way, if there are any travel issues, you won't miss your ship.

• Thanks 1

i dont know if this will truly help, but it's similar. we're on the jewel from jan 26th thru feb 4th in panama. there are either inconvenient flights (we live in los angeles) or the need to overnight in panama. i did some  research, and copa airlines has a 6 hr non-stop flight from l.a. to panama city, but coming home, there are only 2 flights. one is slightly after 8 a.m. which i know will be impossible to to take, and the 2nd is just before 7 p.m. which will necessitate spending 7 hrs in the airport. As i have no overwhelming desire to see panama for the day. so we got  a hotel and take the 8 am flight out on the 5th. i booked the airport crowne plaza hotel,it has 24 (allegedly) shuttle service to the airport, and the room was $75.

even if you dont want to tour new york, i'd still get a good nights sleep and take a flight out the next day

• Thanks 1