Nieuw Statendam - Favorite Places Onboard?

L-Goose

I'm new to HAL, and will be sailing on the NS in a few months (2/11/2023, Caribbean, departing from FLL).  I love to get input from experienced travelers, especially regarding their favorite spots onboard.  We enjoy food, drinks, entertainment, quiet, sun (probably in that order), and I'd appreciate hearing from others some of your favorite places on the NS.

Thank you all so much for the feedback.

The Dutch Cafe on deck 3 has the best pea soup and hot chocolate.   There are window seats with a great view. I never tried the grilled cheese, but I wish I had. 

They  have lots of good food and beer as well as a variety of non alcoholic drinks.

The Crows Nest on deck 12 is big and has great views. They have 

alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.  There are maps, puzzles, travel books 

and a small area with books to borrow.

On port days when many people leave the ship, there are more quiet areas 

than on sea days.  On sea days, you can still find a quiet area.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite spots to hang out on Pinnacle Class ships

• Thermal spa (paid option though)
  • Tamarind bar 
  • Deck 10 lounger (as CrewNews mentioned) when the retractable roof is open and there is a nice ocean breeze
  • Jogging track on Deck 11 when sailing by scenery
  • Rolling Stone rock room during day for internet connection, during night for the band and a nice drink
  • The port side opposite the sea view bar if the lido is too crowded (may get whiff of smokers on the starboard side however)
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Crew News said:

One of my favorite spots are the Deck 10 loungers (no charge to use) overlooking the indoor Deck 9 pool with their very good internet connection and proximity to the NY Pizza & Deli.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/PC110042.jpg

Top secret though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Have not sailed NS yet, boarding 11/26.  There are some good reviews of the ship with great photos.  Look up review by MVPinBoynton

Thanks Banditswife; that is a great review (I've added to my favorites so I can review more in depth later)

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

One of my favorite spots are the Deck 10 loungers (no charge to use) overlooking the indoor Deck 9 pool with their very good internet connection and proximity to the NY Pizza & Deli.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/PC110042.jpg

Thanks Crew News.  Those look like great spots; any thoughts on how often they're available (probably on port days only?)

40 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Some of my favorite spots to hang out on Pinnacle Class ships

• Thermal spa (paid option though)
  • Tamarind bar 
  • Deck 10 lounger (as CrewNews mentioned) when the retractable roof is open and there is a nice ocean breeze
  • Jogging track on Deck 11 when sailing by scenery
  • Rolling Stone rock room during day for internet connection, during night for the band and a nice drink
  • The port side opposite the sea view bar if the lido is too crowded (may get whiff of smokers on the starboard side however)

Thanks vicd1969.  I think I read that the Tamarind Bar is available to passengers even without restaurant reservations?  I appreciate the internet connection suggestion too.

18 minutes ago, montythecat said:

I agree with BetsyS. and would add any of the four venues on Music Row in the evening

which ought to satisfy most musical tastes. We were very happy with the entertainment 

which was being provided earlier this year.

Thanks montythecat; I'm excited by the music options.

1 hour ago, L-Goose said:

Thanks Crew News.  Those look like great spots; any thoughts on how often they're available (probably on port 

You can sneak in there if you are really lucky on odd days of the week. Just kidding, always available but I am willing to bet I'll beat you to it. I love it there!

4 minutes ago, albingirl said:

You can sneak in there if you are really lucky on odd days of the week. Just kidding, always available but I am willing to bet I'll beat you to it. I love it there!

Lets keep these loungers Top Secret just like the Deck 6 aft balconies on the Zaandam and Volendam that are also open to all passengers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, L-Goose said:

Thanks vicd1969.  I think I read that the Tamarind Bar is available to passengers even without restaurant reservations?  I appreciate the internet connection suggestion too.

Yes, you don’t need a reservation to go to the bar. It is also usually not crowded as it is a bit out of the way. You can also order Ala carte Nami Sushi appetizers which have a lot in common with Tamarind, so you get a little taste of the restaurant.

• Thanks 1