Inside Cabin VS Balconey Cabin

Susan Cark

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

For us a lot depends on how often we can cruise. We can cruise about once every year-year and a half and a balcony fits into the budget nicely at that frequency. If we were only able to cruise every 3 to 4 years then we'd probably splurge and get a suite each time (we are sailing in a suite in April but we are celebrating a milestone anniversary so we are splurging). If we could sail several times per year then we'd likely have to choose an ocean view or inside in order to be able to afford it. When I first went to sea it was in a very large inside "cabin" with a lot of room mates, so I'm not as particular as DW is as long as I'm at sea.

I understand your point of view, but 15 versus 1 is a bit over the top and I would have to assume substantially more people would choose to cruise 15 times in an inside cabin versus 1 in a suite. Even if you never leave the ship and hang in your suite all day long and even get room service, the disparity at 15-1 is 100% incomprehensible to me.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I understand your point of view, but 15 versus 1 is a bit over the top and I would have to assume substantially more people would choose to cruise 15 times in an inside cabin versus 1 in a suite. Even if you never leave the ship and hang in your suite all day long and even get room service, the disparity at 15-1 is 100% incomprehensible to me.

Well, I guess it's time to invoke your chocolate/vanilla maxim.  We are all different and prefer different things, or different versions of the same things, as in this case of cruises.  I admitted I was in the minority.  Of course more people would choose fifteen in an Interior.  I am in no way trying to say most others or even any others should feel the way I do about this.  But it is no way "over the top" for me to say I'll take one cruise in a Suite over 15 in an Interior.  As I said, I will not cruise in an Interior.  I hate to say "never" about most things, so I leave room for an extreme exception, but I cannot imagine the case in which I would ever take an Interior cabin.  I could have just as truthfully said one cruise in a Suite over 3,000 cruises in an Interior.  But I figured 15 was a big enough number to make my point - my point that I initially presented in answer to your question of "Would you want two cruises in a balcony or three in an inside?" 

As I said before, the math (money) is not an issue for me, here.  I take as many cruises as I want to.  And I choose to take them in Suites because that makes my cruise experience much more enjoyable.  I believe I'm in the minority again here, but as I alluded to before, I whole-heartedly disagree with the statement "A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work".  I am blessed in the quality as well as the geography of my "regular life" and have no desire to escape it.  And I'm no longer obsessed with cruising.   So I will take quality over quantity when it comes to vacation experience every time. 

I hope this further explanation makes my viewpoint less incomprehensible to you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

Lots of words just to remind everyone that you are rich.  Nice to hear.

If you are speaking to me, no, I am not rich.  I thought I had made it clear that for me, it is about choice - choosing to take "quality" vacations over quantity of vacations.  Three thousand cruises in an Interior would cost far, far more than one cruise in a Suite.  It is not about quantity of money spent for me, but the quality of the experience on which my money is spent.  

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling
  • Like 3

If you are speaking to me, no, I am not rich.  I thought I had made it clear that for me, it is about choice - choosing to take "quality" vacations over quantity of vacations.  Three thousand cruises in an Interior would cost far, far more than one cruise in a Suite.  It is not about quantity of money spent for me, but the quality of the experience on which my money is spent.  

Exactly...This...100% agree and happily in your minority...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

Lots of words just to remind everyone that you are rich.  Nice to hear.

Our suite in April is $2800 (to book it now it would be $3800). We normally book balconies but suites aren't too much by comparison. But if we wanted to book only suites it would take a bit more budgeting.

When I was working I rarely had more than 6 hours of sleep per day.  So on many cruises we would book an inside cabin so I could take long afternoon naps.  Crank up the A/C and pure darkness!  I know some people will comment that I am wasting a my cruise vacation.  But for me I always walked off the cruise ship refreshed and ready to get back to work.

Now that we are retired we book aft & wrap around balconies.  I enjoy the extra space of the balcony to read novels.  Naps really aren’t needed any more.  No plans to go back to inside cabins.  But I do have fine memories of those cabins.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

As I said before, the math (money) is not an issue for me, here.  I take as many cruises as I want to.  

I hope this further explanation makes my viewpoint less incomprehensible to you.

No, not less incomprehensible at all.  You obviously stir your coffee with a platinum spoon since money is not an issue, you take as many cruises as you want to and you will never cruise in an inside cabin.

My only question to you is why you choose to sail on Carnival when there are so many other cruise lines to choose from that have better suite accomodations.  You have the Star Class on Royal, the Retreat on Celebrity, the Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC.  And I never even mentioned other  cruise lines higher up the food chain such as Azamara or Viking.

Happy cruising.

When budgeting a cruise, we all know there are a lot of factors that go into the budget when selecting a type of cabin.  With us living in Florida, as well as other people that are close (2 hours) to cruise ports, travel budgets are lower because we are not required for long drives, flights,  hotels, restaurants etc…. 

So for us a cruise vacation budget is fuel cost and parking at the port. So here is an estimate of my cost for a 7 day cruise:  Fuel cost $50 (300 miles round trip), parking $119 ($17 per day).  Total $167.  That’s pretty inexpensive considering what many people pay to get to the cruise port.   So the cost of a Aft balcony is somewhat reasonable.

My point is this; budgeting a cruise is so different for those that travel far away to cruise.  That may affect someone’s budget for a type of cabin.  We recently cruised out of Charleston and Long Beach and I understood the cost of traveling a long distance to cruise.  

Edited by CruiseHealing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

No, not less incomprehensible at all.  You obviously stir your coffee with a platinum spoon since money is not an issue, you take as many cruises as you want to and you will never cruise in an inside cabin.

My only question to you is why you choose to sail on Carnival when there are so many other cruise lines to choose from that have better suite accomodations.  You have the Star Class on Royal, the Retreat on Celebrity, the Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC.  And I never even mentioned other  cruise lines higher up the food chain such as Azamara or Viking.

Happy cruising.

My thoughts as well.  When we decide to 'go upscale' we choose another line, particularly a small ship.  My best cabin ever was on Windstar.  While we didn't have a Balc, our cabin was huge.  And I absolutely loved 'knowing' every pax on the ship. Luxurious but casual experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I think the real question here would be timeframe. A lot of people are doing pretty good if they can cruise once a year, so if these were offered 15 years in a row, versus 1 cruise in a 15 year period it sounds like cruising isn't that big of a deal to the person. But if they're assuming it'd be 15 in one year, versus 1 in 1 year, then it might not be as much to give up. But like I said, most people don't have that luxury to be able to take 15 vacations without it being a multi-year period.

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Happy cruising.

What is incomprehensible is why you are worried about this at all. The previous poster made it clear that they are more concerned about the quality of their experience and they are willing to pay for it. That should end the issue. Yes, other cruise lines have nicer perks etc. for their suites, but that also comes at a price. I doubt you'd be sailing in one of those suites for $2800 for two people. I could just as easily say the same thing about booking a balcony cabin as the PP did about a suite, DW will not sail in an inside at all under any circumstances, even if it meant that we could cruise every month instead of once a year. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Happy cruising.

OK, I'll try again to help you understand and to dispel yours and others' misconceptions about me.  I think you're missing (or willfully  choosing to misconstrue) some things I said.  Yes, the money I spend on a cruise is not an issue for me.  And I take as many cruises as I want.  But, also, as I said, I'm not cruised-obsessed (anymore) and I have no desire to get away from my regular life (the driving force behind many vacations, for many other people).  I mentioned I was blessed in my regular life and i love my home.  I can see how this can get all twisted by some into seeming like I'm wealthy and bragging about it.  I am not and I am not.

The money isn't an issue because I ca

Edit: Crap!  I somehow hit the publishy button before I was even half-done with this post!  Not enough caffeine (I stir my tea with a reusable plastic spoon, BTW).  I'll finish in the next post, sorry about that!

Edited by ShakyBeef

Sorry about that, y'all, clumsy under-caffeinated fingers.🤭  Where was I?  Oh, yeah:

OK, I'll try again to help you understand and to dispel yours and others' misconceptions about me.  I think you're missing (or willfully  choosing to misconstrue) some things I said.  Yes, the money I spend on a cruise is not an issue for me.  And I take as many cruises as I want.  But, also, as I said, I'm not cruised-obsessed (anymore) and I have no desire to get away from my regular life (the driving force behind many vacations, for many other people).  I mentioned I was blessed in my regular life and i love my home.  I can see how this can get all twisted by some into seeming like I'm wealthy and bragging about it.  I am not and I am not.

The money isn't an issue because I can afford a cruise in whatever accommodations I like.  Because I don't cruise often.  That's a really important detail you seem to be missing or ignoring.  I cruise as much as I want.  I only want to cruise about once a year.  If that.  My next cruise is coming up in March (my first since January 2020), and I wasn't even wanting to cruise yet (not COVID related, just not excited about a trip yet) but my DDs (20 and 16) begged for another cruise so I booked it. 

I love my life at home.  I'm blessed.  That doesn't mean I'm rich.  My beloved home might be a 200 SQ FT shack.  The blessings to which I were referring have very little (to nothing) to do with my family's bank account.  I love living where I live and doing what I do with the people with whom I do it.  There were many other times in my life (I lived somewhere else, then) when I couldn't wait for my next vacation.  I had that urge to get away.  I don't have it now.

You are someone who books a lot of cruises in a year and tells us all about your many, many cruises all the time.  I am far from that.  I wouldn't want to take that many cruises.  One cruise every year or year-and-a-half is just right for me.  And when I take that one cruise, I want it to be enjoyable as possible.  And a Suite is part of that.  And I feel no need to stay in my Suite longer than I want to each day to "make it worth it".

So,  Lots of words just to remind everyone that I am not rich.  Hope it's nice to hear. 😉🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Happy cruising.

Since I took up a lot of time and page space already responding to your accusations and assumptions, I decided to break up my long post to respond to your "only question".🙄

I choose to sail (when I do) on Carnival only when family or friends are sailing and ask us to go with them, or when cruising with the kids, because it is the only line they know and love.  And when I have at least 200,000 FunPoints built up on my Carnival FP MC which translates to $3000 off our cruise fare😉.  When cruising 'just for us,' DH and I prefer other lines.  And yes, we enjoy the Suites on those other lines.  Thank you for your concern.

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

My thoughts as well.  When we decide to 'go upscale' we choose another line, particularly a small ship.  My best cabin ever was on Windstar.  While we didn't have a Balc, our cabin was huge.  And I absolutely loved 'knowing' every pax on the ship. Luxurious but casual experience.

I'm not under any misconception that I'm "going upscale" when I cruise in a Carnival Suite.  I'm just making my Carnival cruise as enjoyable as I can. 

4 hours ago, MsOne said:

I think the real question here would be timeframe. A lot of people are doing pretty good if they can cruise once a year, so if these were offered 15 years in a row, versus 1 cruise in a 15 year period it sounds like cruising isn't that big of a deal to the person. But if they're assuming it'd be 15 in one year, versus 1 in 1 year, then it might not be as much to give up. But like I said, most people don't have that luxury to be able to take 15 vacations without it being a multi-year period.

Please don't get too focused on the numbers I threw out.  It was just to illustrate that I won't take a cruise, or any number of cruises in an Interior.  I only mentioned numbers because i was initially responding to CruisinSusan's question that involved numbers.  I could put it this way: I will take one cruise in a Suite (when I want to cruise) over free cruises for life (when I want to cruise) in Interiors.  That all just comes down to: I won't cruise in an Interior.  And more (even unlimited) cruises in an Interior is not going to change my mind.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Please don't get too focused on the numbers I threw out.  It was just to illustrate that I won't take a cruise, or any number of cruises in an Interior.  I only mentioned numbers because i was initially responding to CruisinSusan's question that involved numbers.  I could put it this way: I will take one cruise in a Suite (when I want to cruise) over free cruises for life (when I want to cruise) in Interiors.  That all just comes down to: I won't cruise in an Interior.  And more (even unlimited) cruises in an Interior is not going to change my mind.

Yep, sounds just like DW (except for her it is balconies). 🙂 ETA: If we were given a free Inside cabin from somewhere she would make me upgrade it to a balcony.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

What is incomprehensible is why you are worried about this at all. The previous poster made it clear that they are more concerned about the quality of their experience and they are willing to pay for it. That should end the issue.

Fully aware that some people want to be pampered on their vacation whether it be by having a butler wait on them or just relaxing in a suite.  I also know that different people have more money than others to make their choice come true or have more time on their hands to vacation more often.

Since I never flew till I was 23 and never cruised till I was 26 and paid for each vacation myself I always appreciated each vacation I was able to take. I didn't grow up being taken around the world by my parents.  

Next year we have 7 trips planned consisting of a total of 86 nights at sea.  This would be just over 12 seven night cruises.  There is no way I would trade those trips for a single 7 night trip in a suite, even one in the Haven on NCL or higher up the chain on Viking.  

To each their own but when it comes to cruise vacations I'll take 15 over 1 every day of the week.  I would get to see the same shows and drink at the same bars and relax in the same hot tubs as the person who only had 1 week in their suite.  But I would get to do it over 100 nights.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Sorry about that, y'all, clumsy under-caffeinated fingers.🤭  Where was I?  Oh, yeah:

The money isn't an issue because I can afford a cruise in whatever accommodations I like.  Because I don't cruise often.  That's a really important detail you seem to be missing or ignoring.  I cruise as much as I want.  I only want to cruise about once a year.  If that.  My next cruise is coming up in March (my first since January 2020), and I wasn't even wanting to cruise yet (not COVID related, just not excited about a trip yet) but my DDs (20 and 16) begged for another cruise so I booked it. 

I love my life at home.  I'm blessed.  That doesn't mean I'm rich.  My beloved home might be a 200 SQ FT shack.  The blessings to which I were referring have very little (to nothing) to do with my family's bank account.  I love living where I live and doing what I do with the people with whom I do it.  There were many other times in my life (I lived somewhere else, then) when I couldn't wait for my next vacation.  I had that urge to get away.  I don't have it now.

You are someone who books a lot of cruises in a year and tells us all about your many, many cruises all the time.  I am far from that.  I wouldn't want to take that many cruises.  One cruise every year or year-and-a-half is just right for me.  And when I take that one cruise, I want it to be enjoyable as possible.  And a Suite is part of that.  And I feel no need to stay in my Suite longer than I want to each day to "make it worth it".

So,  Lots of words just to remind everyone that I am not rich.  Hope it's nice to hear. 😉🤣

The major difference is because we are at different points in our lives and live two totally different lives.  I will infer that you have a fulfilled life with a nice stable job and 2 DD's and hopefully grandchildren in the future. The man upstairs had a different plan for me so no children or grandchildren are part of my reality.  Vacations have always been precious to me and usually occured once or twice a year.  Since Covid forced me into an early retirement the cruises have increased this year and next year even more so.  

The bottom line is that we have different lives and put different levels of importance on vacation.  Since your home life keeps you fulfilled, your need to vacation is less than mine.  Vacationing often during retirement is what brings me a sense of fulfillment besides hanging out with my Corgi mix (&DH).  Hope this explanation gives you the sense of where I'm coming from.

35 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I didn't grow up being taken around the world

by my parents. 

Neither did I.  I don't know if you are assuming otherwise about me or others, but the scenario you describe is not at all common.  I don't believe you'll find many here who fit that hyperbolic description.  Where the heck did that come from, anyway?

"Since I ...never cruised till I was 26 and paid for each vacation myself I always appreciated each vacation I was able to take."

Same for me.  No, not quite - I was 29 when I first cruised.

"Next year we have 7 trips planned consisting of a total of 86 nights at sea.  This would be just over 12 seven night cruises."

Good for you. 

There you go again, bragging about your many cruises but for some reason deriding me for taking less cruises of higher quality.

You state that you understand that different people like different things, you drag out that chocolate/vanilla line in so many threads, but over and over again in this and so many other discussions, you seem to demonstrate that you can't really understand or accept why others might choose differently than you.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The major difference is because we are at different points in our lives and live two totally different lives... Hope this explanation gives you the sense of where I'm coming from.

I, unlike you, apparently, don't lack empathy and understanding as to why someone might feel differently than I.  I do not cast aspersions on someone because they choose to cruise differently than I do.  I think I understand from where you're coming and do not judge you for it.  Happy cruising to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I, unlike you, apparently, don't lack empathy and understanding as to why someone might feel differently than I.  I do not cast aspersions on someone because they choose to cruise differently than I do.  I think I understand from where you're coming and do not judge you for it.  Happy cruising to you.

You say that I lack empathy and yet after saying that you were blessed to have two DD's while I was dealt a different hand, you yourself have zero empathy.  

You have a family and you can vacation as often as you'd like to in whatever accommodations you wish.  

I'll leave it be at this point because it's not worth sitting in the penalty box. 

When I first started cruising, I was in my 20's and very much on a limited income. The fact that I worked for an airline and flew for free helped me be able to afford cruising on vacation! But we were young and really on in our cabins to sleep and get ready. So there was no need for us to waste money on a balcony at that stage in my life. When I booked my first cruise with my now-husband, I got an unexpected work bonus so I upgraded us to a balcony as a surprise! And now 11 years and probably 10 cruises later, I've stayed in nothing else besides a balcony! I wouldn't go back for anything now! We use our balcony quite a bit and i love being able to see us coming into ports! It's fantastic! 

• Like 1

Depends on the cruise...  We've done both on Carnival.

We're taking RCL to Alaska next summer and having been there before, I can't sleep when it's still light outside, so we're in what they offer as a virtual balcony.  It's an interior with a partial video wall with a current sea view you can turn off.  Haven't done one yet, but it seemed worth trying.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, Lane Hog said:

Depends on the cruise...  We've done both on Carnival.

We're taking RCL to Alaska next summer and having been there before, I can't sleep when it's still light outside, so we're in what they offer as a virtual balcony.  It's an interior with a partial video wall with a current sea view you can turn off.  Haven't done one yet, but it seemed worth trying.

We're in one of those on the Anthem in April.  Inside cabin with natural live light from the big screen virtual balcony.