UK Bookings - any reason to use a Travel Agent?

Sea38

I have been searching actively with a view to booking a cruise, Celebrity top of my list but open to others.

I have previously always used a TA, I myself used to be one so I am pretty good in finding discounts/deals. 
However due to only being able to find prices that match going direct with the Cruise Lines I am finding it difficult to find any advantage of adding a middle man (TA)?   Am I missing something?!

Edited by Sea38

I booked a cruise for next year with a UK TA, they were able to offer me a package (+ flights, transfer and hotel) for cheaper than exactly the same thing directly. Depends on the sailing, I find you can normally get a small (5%) discount by booking via a TA vs direct.

My next booking is with a US TA, which can be much cheaper, so maybe check one of them first as well?

👋 wynnne yes around 5% has usually been about the norm but struggling to find even that for cruise only.

As you advised maybe going further afield could be the answer.  I’m just scratching my head wondering how TA’s will be able to carry on when they are no cheaper then going direct?

45 minutes ago, wynnne said:

booked a cruise for next year with a UK TA, they were able to offer me a package (+ flights, transfer and hotel) for cheaper than exactly the same thing directly.

Good to know that these are still offered. 
We always went down this route when flying( mainly to USA).

I once read that this is only available in UK, as US agents don’t offer these packages. 
You are also covered by ABTA- insurance if the TA goes out of business.

The hotel offer always included a day hotel after the cruise, before the late evening return flight to UK.

Edited by upwarduk

34 minutes ago, wynnne said:

I booked a cruise for next year with a UK TA, they were able to offer me a package (+ flights, transfer and hotel) for cheaper than exactly the same thing directly. Depends on the sailing, I find you can normally get a small (5%) discount by booking via a TA vs direct.

My next booking is with a US TA, which can be much cheaper, so maybe check one of them first as well?

When doing so remember that price is not the only consideration. There are differences in your consumer rights, payment terms and, if you have a problem/complaint, you will have to pursue it through the US office not in the UK. We have just had such a problem when we had to cancel a cruise on the day of departure and the cruise line ( Royal) was unwilling to provide a cancellation invoice in a form that would have enabled me to claim a full refund from my UK based Travel Insurance Company. It took me over 2 hours on the phone during which time I spoke to several different Departments before I was finally able to get the document I needed to claim the full cost as opposed to Royals original "proposal" that would have left me over 💲1000 out of pocket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Good to know that these are still offered. 
We always went down this route when flying( mainly to USA).

I once read that ibis is only available in UK, as US agents don’t offer packages. 
You are also covered by ABTA- insurance if the TA goes out of business.

The hotel offer always included a day hotel after the cruise, before the late evening return flight to UK.

In reality ABTA offers very little protection as it has no power to inforce it's rules. Many ABTA members when faced with action by ABTA simply cancel their membership and walkaway.

Your big protection is with ATOL which is the Government backed/funded scheme which does indeed guarantee a full refund if you book an ATOL package.

For UK passengers, if you still want to book the cruise direct,  the simplest way is to book your flight with an airline, say BA, but as a holiday/ package not as flight only.

To qualify as a package you need to book the return flight and one other service e.g. 1 nights hotel or 1 days car rental. If you don't intend to use the service book the cheapest hotel/car the airline has. 

You get the same price savings and benefits if you book the other way round e.g. Miami/London/Miami or New York/London/New York.

The deals are available in all classes.

It can even work out cheaper even if you only need a "one way" and not a return.  You must travel on the first flight or the whole booking will be cancelled.

You can also mix the classes for example Business Class on flight 1 and the cheapest Economy Seat without baggage on the return, which is ideal if you don't intend to use the return.

By booking as a package you will travel on the same flight, pay less, not have to pay in full at the time of booking and be covered by ATOL.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments.

The Penguins comments add to my case of how can TAs in the UK continue trading when offering no incentives.  You can still cover yourself with ABTA/ATOL by following Penguins suggestion of booking a part package with the Airline.

Especially since the pandemic it can be so difficult to get hold of companies via the phone, the extra hassle of the middle man just seems to have no benefit?  

Just one more point to add, reward points etc (Virgin/BA) you can use to book flights direct with the airline, this adds to another reason why you would only need to book cruise only and then maybe a couple of nights pre-cruise booked on a cancellation policy up until 24 hours before check-in on a hotel booking website

I just can’t find a reason to book with a TA at the moment like I have always previously done

Edited by Sea38

I have often booked with a US TA and for my upcoming cruise I nearly didn't because I was getting more on board credit going direct with celebrity UK but with the Black Friday deals we ended up again going the US travel agent - cruise only and got extra on board credit.  A couple of things you have to consider - we have a credit card that doesn't charge transaction fees for sending money abroad and not so much now but in the past and maybe in the future because of the exchange rate you  get a better price.  Even if it's a difference of $50 - that's your first few drinks on board!  Also, you have to pay the full amount 3 months in advance whereas in the UK its not a long and the deposit here is lower.

I am fortunate that I can get get 10% off as either ex-military, current NHS. Every time we book a cruise I look at UK TAs and also US TAs and they can never beat the prices. I have booked direct with the Celebrity US site when I saw a fabulous deal, and ticked the ex-military box too. 

Hopefully someone is reading this that has not used this discount who will in the future. Met a nurse on a tour in Miami pre-cruise last week who was not aware.  She was sailing NCL but will be sailing X next time now.

I have used different TAs for Oceania cruises and had only a few percent off and no support or info. Do not reply to emails. Off hand when wanted to change a cruise which we knew was to be cancelled and charged an admin fee. 

Tried to use a TA for a Princess cruise next year.  Discounts were minimal and I eventually booked direct via QUIDCO the cash back site. The cash back was the same but I am no longer using an unnecessary middle man.

All my flights are booked using BA Avios. Fully refundable for a minimal cancellation fee. Hotels.com for refundable hotels and gain an extra night for ten booked. 

@the penguins is great advice too. If I had to pay cash for a flight I would do the BA + Hotel thing and there are often extra Avios deals too.

I like to look at the packages that TAs sometimes do. However I spoke to a couple tonight oddly who booked an Orient express/La Como/Silversea cruise/flight home package which was cancelled by TA 3 weeks prior blaming Orient Express! Prefer to be master of my own destiny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I am fortunate that I can get get 10% off as either ex-military, current NHS. Every time we book a cruise I look at UK TAs and also US TAs and they can never beat the prices. I have booked direct with the Celebrity US site when I saw a fabulous deal, and ticked the ex-military box too. 

Hopefully someone is reading this that has not used this discount who will in the future. Met a nurse on a tour in Miami pre-cruise last week who was not aware.  She was sailing NCL but will be sailing X next time now.

I have used different TAs for Oceania cruises and had only a few percent off and no support or info. Do not reply to emails. Off hand when wanted to change a cruise which we knew was to be cancelled and charged an admin fee. 

Tried to use a TA for a Princess cruise next year.  Discounts were minimal and I eventually booked direct via QUIDCO the cash back site. The cash back was the same but I am no longer using an unnecessary middle man.

All my flights are booked using BA Avios. Fully refundable for a minimal cancellation fee. Hotels.com for refundable hotels and gain an extra night for ten booked. 

@the penguins is great advice too. If I had to pay cash for a flight I would do the BA + Hotel thing and there are often extra Avios deals too.

I like to look at the packages that TAs sometimes do. However I spoke to a couple tonight oddly who booked an Orient express/La Como/Silversea cruise/flight home package which was cancelled by TA 3 weeks prior blaming Orient Express! Prefer to be master of my own destiny.

You can still use your AVIOS and book it as a package exactly as per my earlier post. We generally book Premium Economy and use our AVIOS to upgrade to Club which gives us the best value.

I use an agent in the US, if I want to change my cabin when another becomes available at the same cost I can just do that with no problems.  Even if you get a move up and you don't like the location but see another room with the same category you can move.  I'd be interest to know if this has changed and you can now do this in the UK.  

My advice would be, when you know what you want do some time consumer computer research!!!

@hawkesbaynz I think your post has summed it up!  

Until something changes it’s not worth me trolling the internet and making phones for deals/discounts with UK TA’s as the discounts just aren’t out there for us folk.

I need to amend a cruise that I have booked with a TA and I have been putting it off as once you have booked you have to leave a message then wait for someone to come back to you etc  Then wait for them to contact the Cruise Line ask your request and then wait for them to come back to you, all this with no monetary benefit of booking with them.  

I must add that this particular TA is now adding a non refundable booking fee since I booked this cruise with them hence why this topic has arisen.

I always use the same UK based TA. I have  found them to be very responsive and helpful especially during all the covid cancellations. They always give a small discount compared to booking direct with the cruise line which is welcome. You definitely get better consumer protection booking in the UK. You also don't have to worry about changes in currency conversions. The biggest incentive for me is that they will go to bat on my behalf with the cruise line if needed. I don't have the time or inclination to hold for hours on the phone to cruise lines. I think you need to look at some reviews of agents and consider building a relationship with one. 

• Like 1

We use a TA too. For our celebrity cruise next September the price they were able to quote was substantially better than what the Future Cruise shop on the Equinox could offer when I went there and asked when we last sailed. That was even with the Celebrity 75% off second guest offer. I challenged the lady as to why such a difference and all she could say is the TA must have got a good deal block booking. Other than the price and protection our TA does almost nothing from us with the downside we have to pay the final bill far earlier than we’d have to if we booked directly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea38 said:

@hawkesbaynz I think your post has summed it up!  

Until something changes it’s not worth me trolling the internet and making phones for deals/discounts with UK TA’s as the discounts just aren’t out there for us folk.

I need to amend a cruise that I have booked with a TA and I have been putting it off as once you have booked you have to leave a message then wait for someone to come back to you etc  Then wait for them to contact the Cruise Line ask your request and then wait for them to come back to you, all this with no monetary benefit of booking with them.  

I must add that this particular TA is now adding a non refundable booking fee since I booked this cruise with them hence why this topic has arisen.

A few things.  I have used a TA (not for Celebrity) which has now introduced a non-refundable booking fee and I have now ditched them in favour of one of the big UK TAs who undercut and doesn't charge a booking fee.

We have taken around 20 Celebrity cruises over 7 years, one of which was booked with a US TA (a big, big difference in price and totally worth doing on that occasion) but most of the others have been booked with the same Celebrity agent who has been known to price match for me (sent a screenshot of online TA price), or give me extra OBC if the price drops significantly and I have a moan!  Not always, but often enough for me to be loyal to him.  Also, I try to make a booking when onboard, even if just as a placeholder, so I can move the booking if I need to without any loss and with only a small deposit.

I agree totally with others about booking own flights with Virgin miles/Avios if possible, thus enabling flight changes if necessary.  Especially useful for one-way bookings.

My Celebrity TA is very responsive too, and email requesting a call back and it happens usually within a day or two.  Beats being on hold for ages.  OP I hope you are as lucky with your agent if you book direct.

• Like 1

The one aspect I would add is that, should you book through a TA, you lose the ability to deal with Celebrity directly and this becomes important at such times as Celebrity cancelling your cruise. My opinion is probably coloured by how often Celebrity have done this to us. Our current reservation has been affected multiple times. [If I said how many, I would probably lose credibility.] Each time we have only been able to resolve matters [more or less] satisfactorily by pulling out all the stops and emailing all my contacts at Celebrity direct. Just something to consider.