Gem dry dock?

Birdnutty

It’s my understanding from what I have read here and on other sites that the Gem has been in dry dock in Europe for about two weeks and has about another week to go. Her next cruise leaves Barcelona on December 8, the transatlantic bringing her back to the United States.

• Like 3

Gem is the last of the 4 sisters to receive major refurbishment ... Jewel in late 2018 (we were on her post-refurb, and ship looked so nice), Jade this year & Pearl last year (I think).

Big bit of the refurbishment is changing the bathtub to shower in the Club Balcony Suites.

The late 1990's decor (red and a bit garish) all gone.

Gem at present is still in Marseille, has about a week to go before she gets out to someplace to get lots of provisions for her transatlantic crossing from Barcelona on Dec 8th. It'll be like a new ship!

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisinginmay said:

I’m going to be on the Gem when it leaves Barcelona on the 8th. Just curious - does a whole new crew board after dry dock, or have some or most been around during dry dock?  Not sure what they would do!

Crew is on board-- helpiing to get things done-- worker bees.

3 minutes ago, cruisinginmay said:

I’m going to be on the Gem when it leaves Barcelona on the 8th. Just curious - does a whole new crew board after dry dock, or have some or most been around during dry dock?  Not sure what they would do!

Both .... the crew aboard during dry dock would be the ones assisting the workers, then cleaning up, and getting the ship ready.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruisinginmay said:

I’m going to be on the Gem when it leaves Barcelona on the 8th.

Have a great crossing!

We’d certainly love to hear your thoughts about any changes made during the dry dock. 

And if you are able to find out whether the tub/shower combo in the Club Balcony Suites and the Penthouse Suites have been replaced by stall showers, lots of folks would appreciate knowing. 

Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Have a great crossing!

We’d certainly love to hear your thoughts about any changes made during the dry dock. 

And if you are able to find out whether the tub/shower combo in the Club Balcony Suites and the Penthouse Suites have been replaced by stall showers, lots of folks would appreciate knowing. 

I sure hope this is truly being done as we will be on her in March and I hate the tub/shower combos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Have a great crossing!

Thanks!

I haven’t been on the Gem before, so don’t have anything to compare it to.  I’ll try to find out about the tubs/showers, but we are staying in the 2 bedroom suite so not sure I’ll find out,

8 minutes ago, cruisinginmay said:

Thanks!

I haven’t been on the Gem before, so don’t have anything to compare it to.  I’ll try to find out about the tubs/showers, but we are staying in the 2 bedroom suite so not sure I’ll find out,

Thanks for any info! Since you’ll be in a suite, just ask the concierge, I think he or she would know about those changes (or could easily find out).

You will love starting your day with breakfast in Moderno or Cagneys (whichever space is being used for that meal, usually Moderno).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm onboard now, in a club balcony, and no, they didn't change the shower/ tub combination. 

Palm trees 🌴 are gone.

Fish 🐟 on the carpets are gone.

The ship does look beautiful. Here's a few pictures. 

20221208_140351.jpg

20221208_140318.jpg

20221208_140307.jpg

20221208_140024.jpg

20221208_135924.jpg

20221208_135557.jpg

20221208_135442.jpg

20221208_135336.jpg

20221208_135322.jpg

20221208_135311.jpg

20221208_135048.jpg

20221208_134925.jpg

20221208_134610.jpg

20221208_134556.jpg

20221208_134257.jpg

20221208_134216.jpg

20221208_134131.jpg

20221208_134054.jpg

20221208_134001.jpg

20221208_133933.jpg

20221208_133729.jpg

20221208_133636.jpg

20221208_133604.jpg

20221208_123956.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Diana68 said:

I'm onboard now, in a club balcony, and no, they didn't change the shower/ tub combination. 

Palm trees 🌴 are gone.

Fish 🐟 on the carpets are gone.

The ship does look beautiful. Here's a few pictures. 

Thanks for all the photos. Ship looks great. What a shame about the shower/tub combos. So dated and potentially dangerous. 

Have a wonderful crossing! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Diana68 said:

Here's a few more.

20221208_144137.jpg

Thanks for all the photos. They can do all they want to the public spaces, but nothing screams dated like cabin interiors like that. What about the actual fake dark wood furniture, closets? Are they still there? What condition are they in?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for all the photos. They can do all they want to the public spaces, but nothing screams dated like cabin interiors like that. What about the actual fake dark wood furniture, closets? Are they still there? What condition are they in?

Thanks!

They did nothing to the cabins. We actually came in to a broken drawer. When I called reception to report it, they didn't understand what a drawer was...she thought I said door or roller. I said you pull it out and put clothes in it, and she put me on a long hold. While on hold, our room steward stopped by and said he'd already reported it, so I hung up.

20221208_145305.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear the carpet fish are gone!  I know it sounds stupid, but I loved those little guys.

Thanks for all the pix.  She really does look beautiful, altho I always thought she did, no matter how "vintage" she may have become.

I, too, was hoping that the cabins would get some updating.  That is the one place where they need to keep up with the times, with USB hubs and the like.  I don't remember any of the cabins I had been in having a tub, but I certainly would not like one now.  We'll be on her in a short while, And I look forward to seeing her new look.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

I'm so sorry to hear the carpet fish are gone!  I know it sounds stupid, but I loved those little guys.

Thanks for all the pix.  She really does look beautiful, altho I always thought she did, no matter how "vintage" she may have become.

I, too, was hoping that the cabins would get some updating.  That is the one place where they need to keep up with the times, with USB hubs and the like.  I don't remember any of the cabins I had been in having a tub, but I certainly would not like one now.  We'll be on her in a short while, And I look forward to seeing her new look.

I'm missing the fish too, but my DH thinks I'm silly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

I, too, was hoping that the cabins would get some updating.  That is the one place where they need to keep up with the times, with USB hubs and the like.

They really need to update the cabins. But I doubt they have the cash to do so.