Chefs Table questions

SoBaycruiser

First time Viking cruiser here.  I’ve read about the chefs table and how the menu (theme) changes every three days.  However, when we finally are allowed to book, will we know the theme of the food that day?  If one is on a 12 day cruise, should they expect 4 different themes? I doubt I might even have much choice of theme or timing by the time bookings are open to us, but it is still nice to be prepared.  Are the menus posted anywhere?  I’m not a real picky eater but raw or almost raw (seared) fish is not my thing.

Any words of wisdom about the chefs table?

2 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

First time Viking cruiser here.  I’ve read about the chefs table and how the menu (theme) changes every three days.  However, when we finally are allowed to book, will we know the theme of the food that day?  If one is on a 12 day cruise, should they expect 4 different themes? I doubt I might even have much choice of theme or timing by the time bookings are open to us, but it is still nice to be prepared.  Are the menus posted anywhere?  I’m not a real picky eater but raw or almost raw (seared) fish is not my thing.

Any words of wisdom about the chefs table?

Have done 10 Ocean Cruises.  It usually changes every 3 days, but it can be 2 or 4 occasionally.  When you book, you will not know what the menus are on any given day.  The ship doesn't even know.  We learned that they plan out the menus one month ahead of time, and even then, they can change slightly, although once the cruise starts, they usually stay what they are published.

We generally learn the menus and the schedule when we board.  We then make reservations or change ones to the days we wish.  There are a large number of possible menus that have been served, but it seems that lately there are some common ones that seem to appear on every ship (Asian Panorama, Mexican, Routes des Indes, Xiang, etc.).  Do a forum search on Viking Ocean threads for menus.  You'll see quite a number of moderately recent posts with all kinds of information.  Many have even taken pictures of their menus.  On MyVikingJourney you can see sample menus (not necessarily ones that you might get but possibly).

There is one or more menus with seared Ahi (Tuna).  Please note that even if there is something you will not eat, don't avoid the CT just because of that.  Viking is more than happy to substitute something for you.  I for example, don't care for lamb, so they always give me a nice NY Steak or a Salmon steak instead.   I'm sure you'll find many items on the menus that you DO like so enjoy!

• Like 4

Thank you!   Until you said they will substitute for something such as the seared tuna, I was scratching it off the list.  But I’m willing to take a chance now.   And I do LOVE lamb!

BTW, were any or your trips to Norway?  We are planning a Northern Lights trip and I wondered if that means a lot of fish on the menu.  If so my husband will be in Heaven.

6 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Have done 10 Ocean Cruises.  It usually changes every 3 days, but it can be 2 or 4 occasionally.  When you book, you will not know what the menus are on any given day.  The ship doesn't even know.  We learned that they plan out the menus one month ahead of time, and even then, they can change slightly, although once the cruise starts, they usually stay what they are published.

We generally learn the menus and the schedule when we board.  We then make reservations or change ones to the days we wish.  There are a large number of possible menus that have been served, but it seems that lately there are some common ones that seem to appear on every ship (Asian Panorama, Mexican, Routes des Indes, Xiang, etc.).  Do a forum search on Viking Ocean threads for menus.  You'll see quite a number of moderately recent posts with all kinds of information.  Many have even taken pictures of their menus.  On MyVikingJourney you can see sample menus (not necessarily ones that you might get but possibly).

There is one or more menus with seared Ahi (Tuna).  Please note that even if there is something you will not eat, don't avoid the CT just because of that.  Viking is more than happy to substitute something for you.  I for example, don't care for lamb, so they always give me a nice NY Steak or a Salmon steak instead.   I'm sure you'll find many items on the menus that you DO like so enjoy!

CCWineLover.... Based upon your experience have you found the CT flexible enough to accommodate one who has allergies to gluten and fish? We will ask once onboard, but would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

CCWineLover.... Based upon your experience have you found the CT flexible enough to accommodate one who has allergies to gluten and fish? We will ask once onboard, but would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Note that there’s a place in MVJ to tell Viking of your allergies. Peregrina can attest that once documented Viking will have your requirements in their system and will give you alternatives based on the meal plan of the day.

• Like 3

Last month we were on Viking Sky Istanbul to Athens for 8 days.  We were unable to reserve any dining in advance but went straight to the table outside the WC on embarkation and reserved Chef’s Table for that evening.  We subsequently had three meals in CT and in our opinion it was by far the best food on the ship.  The menu changed three times and each one was a delight, superbly cooked and plated.  Spike, at CT reception was so very helpful and managed to fit us in if we were prepared to wait a little while.  The accompanying wines were also very good.  Our dinner at Manfredi’s seemed rushed and noisy by comparison and we didn’t feel the food reached the same standard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Note that there’s a place in MVJ to tell Viking of your allergies. Peregrina can attest that once documented Viking will have your requirements in their system and will give you alternatives based on the meal plan of the day.

I so attest! 

However, not all of the allergies are covered (but gluten free definitely is covered) and I have to make sure that I check in with Guest Services or the Maitre'D when we board to spell out what I can't eat. After that, it is smooth sailing.

Every night at dinner,  the "problem eaters" are given a menu for the following night and asked to choose their meal; the kitchen will then prepare the items you have chosen without the offending ingredients. Sometimes, when I am in doubt that a dish can be done with my restrictions, I will mark a second choice.  At breakfast and lunch there is always someone who can help you figure out what you can't eat and to offer to make you something that you can; take them up on the offer! They love the challenge and they love making sure that we are well fed and happy with our meals.

As for CT, if you want to maximize the number of menus you can sample, book for the first night on board and then every third night if you have more than one advanced reservation (1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 etc). The only time we will skip a menu is if neither of like the main course or we don't like a majority of the courses (neither of us enjoy duck, so we skip that menu).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Thanks Linda

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I so attest! 

However, not all of the allergies are covered (but gluten free definitely is covered) and I have to make sure that I check in with Guest Services or the Maitre'D when we board to spell out what I can't eat. After that, it is smooth sailing.

Every night at dinner,  the "problem eaters" are given a menu for the following night and asked to choose their meal; the kitchen will then prepare the items you have chosen without the offending ingredients. Sometimes, when I am in doubt that a dish can be done with my restrictions, I will mark a second choice.  At breakfast and lunch there is always someone who can help you figure out what you can't eat and to offer to make you something that you can; take them up on the offer! They love the challenge and they love making sure that we are well fed and happy with our meals.

As for CT, if you want to maximize the number of menus you can sample, book for the first night on board and then every third night if you have more than one advanced reservation (1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 etc). The only time we will skip a menu is if neither of like the main course or we don't like a majority of the courses (neither of us enjoy duck, so we skip that menu).

Perigrina651... Thanks so much

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thank you for this great idea!   

We will be going on our first Viking cruise in March and the Chef Table menus all looked so intriguing, that we definitely plan to multiple times.    

18 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thank you!   Until you said they will substitute for something such as the seared tuna, I was scratching it off the list.  But I’m willing to take a chance now.   And I do LOVE lamb!

BTW, were any or your trips to Norway?  We are planning a Northern Lights trip and I wondered if that means a lot of fish on the menu.  If so my husband will be in Heaven.

I really like fish and there was plenty on our “Into the Midnight Sun”. I believe salmon is always available.

• Like 1

We often travel with a friend who has shellfish allergies and the CHEF's Table is always able to accommodate.

We were on the Jupiter last winter for 42 nights....we rotated every 3 or 4 nights...Main Dining Room, Manfredi's and Chef's Table  all cruise.   The wine pairings (Silver Spirits) at chef's table were always good and the wine introductions/explanations an added benefit!

The low passenger count made dining at every venue GREAT.  Fast service and friendly service!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kentishincanada said:

Last month we were on Viking Sky Istanbul to Athens for 8 days.  We were unable to reserve any dining in advance but went straight to the table outside the WC on embarkation and reserved Chef’s Table for that evening.  We subsequently had three meals in CT and in our opinion it was by far the best food on the ship.  The menu changed three times and each one was a delight, superbly cooked and plated.  Spike, at CT reception was so very helpful and managed to fit us in if we were prepared to wait a little while.  The accompanying wines were also very good.  Our dinner at Manfredi’s seemed rushed and noisy by comparison and we didn’t feel the food reached the same standard.

We should save your post and tell people to look at it - every few days it seems we get posts from people who complain bitterly that they can't get any advanced reservations and are so unhappy.  This will give them hope!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, deec said:

We often travel with a friend who has shellfish allergies and the CHEF's Table is always able to accommodate.

We were on the Jupiter last winter for 42 nights....we rotated every 3 or 4 nights...Main Dining Room, Manfredi's and Chef's Table  all cruise.   The wine pairings (Silver Spirits) at chef's table were always good and the wine introductions/explanations an added benefit!

The low passenger count made dining at every venue GREAT.  Fast service and friendly service!

Not only that, Dee, for us the Chef's Table not only had great service, but . .   because it is a much quieter, more relaxed atmosphere than Manfredi's and The Restaurant, we actually had many opportunities to talk with the wait staff.  Some great discussions, and it is where I learned about the wine app Vivino.    The staff is so rushed at the other 2 restaurants, it is not only harder to talk with them but harder to hear them if you do!   

They bend over backwards for you in CT.  Always remember the time the couple sitting in front of us were having a discussion with the waiter.  They were new to Viking and new to Chef's Table and obviously had NO clue as to the type and style of CT.  They like the nice, quiet, intimate setting, but didn't want any of the menu being served.  They insisted on having a Big Steak and Potatoes!   The staff didn't argue (but did educated them for future references), but instead went over to The Restaurant, got them that meal and brought it back!  Now that's something!

• Like 3