ON BOARD CREDIT

Tablelamp

On 11/29/2022 at 4:39 PM, majortom10 said:

Yes I am well aware of that I was responding to Denarius who said you get discount on everything.

I think that you misinterpreted my post. I did not say that you get a discount on everything that you spend. I said that you get a discount on everything that you pay, that is excluding that which is paid for you from OBC. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't see what the problem with OBC is.  P&O give you some money to spend on board.  After that you get discount - what's the problem with that?

That is what I meant to say, you phrase it better.

See post above

I have no beef about not having my loyalty discount applied to my obc spending on board.  Any obc to me is a bonus and allows me to 'buy' drinks, excursions etc on board until it is all spent.  It varies in amount and with share holder benefit too, on some trips, has amounted to basically an all inclusive cruise - in fact we sometimes mop up any left over on some duty frees. 

However, I don't kid myself.  We pay extra for 'Select' mainly to secure a cabin location which suits. To an extent that 'buys' my obc (sometimes worth a lot more than other times). And no doubt the obc offered reflects a business model designed to sell cruises and make a profit.

Comparing prices in pubs etc isn't a consideration in my book.  We're a captive audience on board - the prices are what they are and you either decide to pay the price or do without. However I think the prices are very reasonable compared with what we'd pay in our local pubs/restaurants.

But certainly the obc is worth a lot more to me than it costs P&O.  One of the wines we often buy on board is about £24 but i can buy that at the supermarket for £8 (or £6 if I wait for a 25% off offer).  Clearly P&O will be buying that for much less than £6.  So there is a big mark-up for them.  However they have all the on-costs, staff wages etc. so clearly have to make a profit just like a restaurant on land - they don't offer wines at the price of the supermarket down the road.

Me buying a bottle of wine may cost them, say, £4 but saves me £24. As others have pointed out they also lose the profit they would have made if I'd bought it and not used obc.

So to me, I'm very grateful for any obc I receive and consider it a bonus. If I don't get my loyalty discount that just means I haven't had to buy anything on board!  No complaints there!

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 9