ON BOARD CREDIT

Tablelamp

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As I said earlier, if the way the loyalty discount operates is causing such concern, then maybe P&O should abolish it, then they could offer free drinks and wi fi rather like RCI/Celebrity do.

They will never abolish it because they can charge you higher for a Select fare and then the OBC is spent on board which majority has a high mark up especially alcohol so costs P&O very little.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They will never abolish it because they can charge you higher for a Select fare and then the OBC is spent on board which majority has a high mark up especially alcohol so costs P&O very little.

Alcohol high mark up ? It wasn't on our TA some good bargains to be had, better than last year

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Alcohol high mark up ? It wasn't on our TA some good bargains to be had, better than last year

Talking about alcohol purchased in the bars not by the bottle from duty free shop.Tjere is a huge mark up on drinks sold onboard whether alcohol or soft drinks.

43 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Talking about alcohol purchased in the bars not by the bottle from duty free shop.Tjere is a huge mark up on drinks sold onboard whether alcohol or soft drinks.

Sorry you lost me bar prices was reasonable considering your on a ship, probably your comparing them to wetherspoons.

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As I said earlier, if the way the loyalty discount operates is causing such concern, then maybe P&O should abolish it, then they could offer free drinks and wi fi rather like RCI/Celebrity do.

Hope not. I don’t drink and I’m not bothered about wi-fi onboard. 

13 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Sorry you lost me bar prices was reasonable considering your on a ship, probably your comparing them to wetherspoons.

I've lost you??  Simple really if P&O by a litre bottle of whisky for £10 (they probably pay less than that) and charge £3 for a 25ml measure. So on that 1 litre bottle there is 40 measures so therefore would take £120 for a bottle that cost them less than £10. That is a massive profit simple really.

Edited by majortom10

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody is saying that and you are twisting everything. The thread was on about P&O scrapping OBC and I said it was a good business sense because you have to spend it onboard and most stuff purchased onboard is high mark up. If P&O have you £100 OBC and you spent it all on alcohol in the bars it actually costs P&O less than £10 so is good business sense to give OBC at very little cost to P&O. Nobody ever complained about what P&O charge for drinks just that because of the high mark up the cost to P&O is very little so good business sense.

I don't see what the problem with OBC is.  P&O give you some money to spend on board.  After that you get discount - what's the problem with that?

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Somerset Cruiser said:

As I said earlier, simple mathematics.

Not really, because you assume that the only way to get OBC is to book a Select fare and pay for it.  What about shareholder OBC and military OBC?  Those are to all intents and purposes free money, as is additional OBC which some TAs provide.

31 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Not really, because you assume that the only way to get OBC is to book a Select fare and pay for it.  What about shareholder OBC and military OBC?  Those are to all intents and purposes free money, as is additional OBC which some TAs provide.

You assume that I assume, I don't 😁

I agree with the TA point, and possibly military.  But the shareholders obc is a benefit which is worth more to some under this P&O policy.  

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't see what the problem with OBC is.  P&O give you some money to spend on board.  After that you get discount - what's the problem with that?

None at all but many have a complaint that they don't get Peninsular Club discount until they have spent OBC therefore have no loyalty benefit. You cannot argue with that but I have never worried about until OBC has been spent.

Edited by majortom10

3 hours ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

But the shareholders obc is a benefit which is worth more to some under this P&O policy.  

I'm obviously too thick to understand how free OBC is worth more to some than others.  Please enlighten me...

The way I understand it, on a 14 days + cruise, any shareholder will get £150 worth of OBC without paying anything additional for that.  So, they will be able to buy £150 worth of 'stuff' onboard at a cost to them of £0.

I think your point is that someone who isn't a shareholder but is the highest level on the loyalty tier gets the benefit of 10% off.  So, they can get £165 worth of 'stuff' onboard for £150.  But, they will pay £150.

I'm sure there's a parallel universe somewhere where paying £150 for £165 worth of stuff is a better deal than paying £0 for £150 worth of stuff, but I don't think I've ever been there. 

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

Just a fairer comparison as not everyone drinks in a Wetherspoons, a large glass of white wine and a pint of beer in our local village pub is £12.80. For the same two drinks on Ventura last week was £12.75 less my Peninsula Discount.

I have no query about pricing of alcohol on any P&O cruise or comparisons If you read the thread my comments were about OBC which one said perhaps they should get rid of it because you don't get Peninsular Club discount on anything purchased with OBC. I stated that it was good business sense to give OBC by P&O because it a tally costs them very little because it is spent onboard and most items have high mark up i.e. alcohol purchased in bars. The answer is to read the thread from the begining instead of halfway through and get the full facts.

53 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I have no query about pricing of alcohol on any P&O cruise or comparisons If you read the thread my comments were about OBC which one said perhaps they should get rid of it because you don't get Peninsular Club discount on anything purchased with OBC. I stated that it was good business sense to give OBC by P&O because it a tally costs them very little because it is spent onboard and most items have high mark up i.e. alcohol purchased in bars. The answer is to read the thread from the begining instead of halfway through and get the full facts.

I have read the thread from the beginning and I do have the full facts as you would see from my previous contributions throughout this thread.  My point is that P&O do not have a particularly high mark up compared to pubs in my area, plus the fact the drinks are served to you at your table rather than having to purchase from a bar.

6 hours ago, Palaceman said:

I have read the thread from the beginning and I do have the full facts as you would see from my previous contributions throughout this thread.  My point is that P&O do not have a particularly high mark up compared to pubs in my area, plus the fact the drinks are served to you at your table rather than having to purchase from a bar.

The thing is no one is forced to buy the drinks, on our last cruise a couple sat next to us in crows nest, and the few hrs we was there all they had was water.

8 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Surely P&O do not pay duty on alcohol whilst outside territorial waters ? Their profits must be huge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Surely P&O do not pay duty on alcohol whilst outside territorial waters ? Their profits must be huge.

So not defending pando would you like to set the profit margins for them

Nobody is saying what their profit margin should be just that many are comparing P&O prices to pub prices in the UK. All pubs pay alcohol duty and VAT where P&O dont so there profit is a lot higher.

Edited by majortom10

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody is saying what their profit margin should be just that many are comparing P&O prices to pub prices in the UK. All pubs pay alcohol duty and VAT where P&O dont so there profit is a lot higher.

On board spend is where most cruise lines make their profits, if they relied just on cruise fares, then prices would need to be much higher. I am quite happy with P&Os drinks pricing, it compares favourably with most restaurant and pub prices, and with current OBC levels plus shareholder benefits, we do tend to find that we struggle to spend it all, so many other  passengers must be subsidising my holidays.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

You cannot compare land based drinks prices to onboard prices, there are so many variables your on a cruise = ship = not on land for one, just out of interest how does pando's prices compare to others 

16 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You cannot compare land based drinks prices to onboard prices, there are so many variables your on a cruise = ship = not on land for one, just out of interest how does pando's prices compare to others 

Many do even on this thread it has been mentioned by someone.