South Pacific Islands and COVID

Hi all,

Just wondering if you think there will be any change to the South Pacific itineraries due to the current covid outbreaks? Considering their timid return to accepting cruise ships, and the fact that a large number of passengers appear to be infected on each cruise, do you think cruises scheduled for New Caledonia and Vanuatu over the next month or so are likely to proceed (to those destinations)? I mean, with so many ships around Aus it would be hard to find anywhere else to dock.

I'm booked on B2B cruises in January (3 day to nowhere, followed by 7 day to South Pacific) and am seriously considering trying to change to an Aus itinerary as I would hate for my elderly parents to become unwell at sea near Noumea if I can stay closer to home. Yes, we'll have insurance, but that's not the point. I guess I'm planning for the likely outcome that we would catch covid and the best plan might be to split the B2B and do two separate cruises, several weeks apart, and stay around Aus. 

Interested in your thoughts.

13 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if you think there will be any change to the South Pacific itineraries due to the current covid outbreaks? Considering their timid return to accepting cruise ships, and the fact that a large number of passengers appear to be infected on each cruise, do you think cruises scheduled for New Caledonia and Vanuatu over the next month or so are likely to proceed (to those destinations)? I mean, with so many ships around Aus it would be hard to find anywhere else to dock.

I'm booked on B2B cruises in January (3 day to nowhere, followed by 7 day to South Pacific) and am seriously considering trying to change to an Aus itinerary as I would hate for my elderly parents to become unwell at sea near Noumea if I can stay closer to home. Yes, we'll have insurance, but that's not the point. I guess I'm planning for the likely outcome that we would catch covid and the best plan might be to split the B2B and do two separate cruises, several weeks apart, and stay around Aus. 

Interested in your thoughts.

I understand your concern with elderly parents and increasing number of Covid cases on big cruise ships.  I would be keen to stay in Australian waters also.

• Thanks 1

If there is an elevated number of cases on a cruise to the islands, they can deny a ship from calling. More likely they will ask that all passengers be tested, with only those with negative tests being allowed ashore.

So far, it seems the ships have been health enough for the first 1/2 dozen days of most cruises, then cases starting to increase as the days tick over.

As to whether to go, stay or change to another cruise, that is a personal choice that only you can best make. We have nothing for the Pacific booked, and it doesn't appeal for us ATM because of the disruptions. Vanuatu doesn't officially open till Thursday, so we will see how that pans out before we think of planning anything. The gurus are saying this will be a short sharp spike, and they have been close to the mark in the past.

• Thanks 1