Dress Code 2022

Cupkakes

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What the heck is “smart casual”?

When I hear smart casual, I just pull my shades down a bit and turn my granny/librarian mode on. 

But really, it's about as dumb as "business casual." Just wear the same clothes you were going to wear anyway, but now you're looking smart! Dress codes (and I'm not talking cruise lines) have gotten out of control. What the hell is anything anymore? I couldn't figure them out pre-pandemic either...I guess I'm just a dumb slob that dresses only casually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Allowed and enforced are two entirely different things. 

The OP asked what the dress code is. That is what I am discussing.

Whether that is enforced is, as you say, a different matter. just about every thread on this board would descend into chaos if we all started working on what different staff members allow that is different to the stated rules. The fact that NCLs rules are applied inconsistently is a given.

Edited by KeithJenner

On 11/29/2022 at 5:28 PM, Yesimapirate said:

Hate to be off topic but I totally love that you're Sunny from Florida!

Enjoy your cruise 

This gave me a giggle. Sunny is not my legal name, but yes - I never really put two and two together. 

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

tennis shoes are perfectly acceptable, as are jeans. no need whatsoever to pack nice shoes.

be a port and get him a new pair of tennies!

I would definitely skip the dress shoes. I’m with @complawyer, if you are making any other investment, let it be some brand new sneakers.

Also, I thought I read that dress code (barely stringent or enforced with adults) is more relaxed/less enforced with younger humans, like your son. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

Edited by New2cruise2022
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

Thanks. Wearing slacks or jeans for the nicer dining rooms means my son needs to pack nice shoes in addition to his worn tennis shoes, water shoes, and slides.

He doesn't need to pack anything other than the worn tennis shoes. Those are fine for the nicer dining rooms.

Also, the "nice" MDR has the same menu as the other MDRs, so you don't need to even bring jeans or slacks and you're not missing anything (other than LeBistro).

You can find some "in between" shoes now that feel like a sneaker but look dressier. I've found a grey pair of shoes made from Merino wool uppers that are both comfortable, incredibly light, and sufficient for workdays not involving legislative action. I did a search for merino wool shoes and found them for about 90 bucks. 

ive worn jeans and tennis shoes to le bistro, with no problems, their only real requirement for men is a "collared shirt". ive always brought along 1 collared shirt (in case we decide to go to le bistro), but im much happier and more comfortable in cagney's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:28 PM, Nilbog said:

Not very smart on dress codes, so we didn't eat there.  🤪

Yeah, it doesn't sound all that smart to me.  We ate at LeBistro twice on our last cruise.  The first time I let DW and DD twist my arm to actually put on nice cotton twill pants (please don't call them "Dockers," Levis s#ck).  The second time, I stood my ground and wore my very nice (and VERY comfortable) cotton knit "sweats" that I already had on.  They didn't like it, but a man needs to be a man some times. 😎  End of story?  Nobody said nothing and I was likely the most comfortable person in the place.  Does that make me "smart?"  Maybe not, but I sure felt "smart." 🤣

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

ive worn jeans and tennis shoes to le bistro, with no problems, their only real requirement for men is a "collared shirt". ive always brought along 1 collared shirt (in case we decide to go to le bistro), but im much happier and more comfortable in cagney's

Yep.  That said, "collared shirt" is meaningless.  Hawaiin shirts have collars.  Polo shirts have collars.  Both are arguably as comfortable as anything out there.  I actually prefer both to T shirts.  This dress code stuff gets ridiculous.  I have shorts that are much nicer that half of the "slacks" that the snobs parade around in.  NCL has led the pack with Freestyle, but they're not quite there yet.....

ETA: slippers qualify as "closed toe shoes."  Ask me how I know.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/1/2022 at 12:19 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

What the heck is “smart casual”?

Depends on where you live. There is bubba's BBQ smart casual and The Breakers in Palm Beach Smart Casual. On NCL the line where one can sail for a full 12 days with nothing more than a gym bag for luggage. So relax and try not to let it all hang out.

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, it doesn't sound all that smart to me.  We ate at LeBistro twice on our last cruise.  The first time I let DW and DD twist my arm to actually put on nice cotton twill pants (please don't call them "Dockers," Levis s#ck).  The second time, I stood my ground and wore my very nice (and VERY comfortable) cotton knit "sweats" that I already had on.  They didn't like it, but a man needs to be a man some times. 😎  End of story?  Nobody said nothing and I was likely the most comfortable person in the place.  Does that make me "smart?"  Maybe not, but I sure felt "smart." 🤣

Fully agree as long as you shower at least once during the 12 days all should be fine no matter what you wear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, complawyer said:

we're in los angeles with severe water restrictions, consequently once a month has to do.

to over compensate, we buy the industrial size deodorant. but if we ever end up on a similar cruise, you have my word i'll stay upwind

LOL!!!

I expect that @ChiefMateJRKmight actually prefer it if you were downwind.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I expect that @ChiefMateJRKmight actually prefer it if you were downwind.

🤣Yeah, @ChiefMateJRK and everybody else on the ship.  IOW, stick him in an aft balcony and lock the door.  Does LA actually now install cameras in your bathrooms to see how you're using water?  I try to avoid all "news", so I really don't know.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:38 PM, Cupkakes said:

Hello! Would someone please advise of the dress code for the main dining room on the NCL Dawn? We are from FL, so pants is not something we typically wear unless it's cold. Are men's dress shorts appropriate or have the rules been lax these days? 

I also understand NCL is freestyle, however, how many "formal nights" could we expect on an 11 day itinerary if we choose to participate? 

Thank you in advance,

Sunny

Jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes are acceptable in any dining facility.  There are no formal nights per se'.  There may be onw or two 'dress up or not' nights.

traveling man. dept of water and power, monitors the meters and know exactly your monthly water and energy usage. if you over use, you get fined. if  you really over use, you're in deep doo doo

also, i guess i have a screwed up sense of direction

still LOL