Bistro Sur La Mer

bigeagle12

On 12/5/2022 at 2:44 PM, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I agree.  I was on Discovery last month and was really disappointed in the Crown but my steak was perfect in La Mer.  I'll be back on Discovery in Feb and have already booked La Mer for the first night as well!  (It's also my birthday and that is where I want to celebrate it!)

16 hours ago, shubsens said:

Exact same experience, I liked the steak much better at la Mer.

If I might ask, can you explain why you thought the steak at Sur la Mer was better that the steak at Crown Grill?

I have yet to cruise on a ship that has Sur la Mer, but I look forward to doing so.

Mrs. XBGuy and I dine in the specialty restaurants quite often.  I like red meat as much as the next guy, and I have found Crown Grill to be pretty inconsistent.  I have experienced two problems.

• The beef at Crown Grill is purported to be "Prime."  Prime according to whom?  I am pretty sure that it is not USDA Prime.   I have had too many steaks in Crown Grill that would have been graded USDA Choice in any of my local supermarkets.
  • However, my bigger disappointment has been getting my beef (or lamb) prepared to my specification,  I try it impress my preference on the server when I place my order, but often I find that message was not properly translated when I cut into my dinner.

I know I am talking about a First World problem here, but isn't that why the internet was created?

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

If I might ask, can you explain why you thought the steak at Sur la Mer was better that the steak at Crown Grill?

I have yet to cruise on a ship that has Sur la Mer, but I look forward to doing so.

Mrs. XBGuy and I dine in the specialty restaurants quite often.  I like red meat as much as the next guy, and I have found Crown Grill to be pretty inconsistent.  I have experienced two problems.

• The beef at Crown Grill is purported to be "Prime."  Prime according to whom?  I am pretty sure that it is not USDA Prime.   I have had too many steaks in Crown Grill that would have been graded USDA Choice in any of my local supermarkets.
  • However, my bigger disappointment has been getting my beef (or lamb) prepared to my specification,  I try it impress my preference on the server when I place my order, but often I find that message was not properly translated when I cut into my dinner.

I know I am talking about a First World problem here, but isn't that why the internet was created?

I agree that now the steak cuts are not as top-line as they once were.  I would think the Bistro has the same raw beef.  Perhaps the chef in the Bistro was more skilled at turning out a filet mignon? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

My least favorite specialty restaurant on any ship. Location is horrible right near piazza with people walking by hanging over the piazza. Very noisy

To me, anything near the Piazza on a Royal class ship is extremely noisy. I try to time myself to go there when the band isn't playing or they have something like a game going on, which isn't possible all the time. 

6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your food allergy?  I have a dairy allergy and was wondering if I would be able to find anything to eat there.

There were definitely non dairy options.  We had the salmon appetizer and fillet entree, and I think I did not need a lactase pill until dessert.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Did the Crown Grill first and I it was dry, I was surprised as it seemed like a good cut. The next night I had the same steak at Sur la Mer and it was not dry.

Maybe it was luck of the draw and if I went back to Crown Grill it would not be dry.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:10 PM, cruzin4us said:

Let me know what you think......l like escargot too....just not theirs 🙂

I also agree, I didn't find the ambient noise to be an issue either.

Ok, wife and I ate there last night.  Did try the escargot and actually liked it. Overall loved all the food.  The music from deck 5 was a little noisy at times.  The people walking through was annoying.  They need to rope it off so no one can walk through.  

• Like 3

On 12/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, Mary loves to travel said:

We ate there 3 times on Sky last summer.    Found the food to be quite good to excellent, service was excellent, ambience was great.     Yes, we went early and were a few tables in, but in a quiet area.

Each time, the server offered the "traditional" escargot; I took his advice and enjoyed them.

Mary

We are on the Discovery Princess and they would not offer the “traditional” escargot even though we asked for it.  The server said it would be available in the MDR on the second formal night.  We were disappointed and will pass on Bistro Sur La Mer the next time…unless they change their menu to include the traditional escargot.

10 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

Ok, wife and I ate there last night.  Did try the escargot and actually liked it. Overall loved all the food.  The music from deck 5 was a little noisy at times.  The people walking through was annoying.  They need to rope it off so no one can walk through.  

The whole conception of the open atmosphere with the loud music just doesn't seem to work on Princess ships. RCI doesn't seem to have any problems with the design but their ships don't have the loud music playing most of the time.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 3:59 AM, wrongwaywatson said:

The lobster bisque is very tempting!

I'm not a huge fan of lobster bisque, especially when you toss in mussels, but I ate every last crumb/drop. It really was that good.

• Like 4