Live, QV to the Canaries.

LadyL1

54 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for your reports,  has the unpleasant smell gone from the Winter Garden now ?

A very interesting comment , just shows you that it is not as bad as some folks are reporting on various fb forums ( that the WG is completely  deserted )  Never noticed this so called odour/smell on my previous  Q.Vic trips  ( 5th June - 30th Oct)  however, will report back after the 11th

As we left Madeira last evening we were treated to the Christmas light extravaganza along the shore.
A quick overview of how this cruise is going, and some info as per queries.
Last night the performance of Samantha Jay had to be cancelled, as her arrival by plane in Madeira was marred by lost luggage and instrument.
We have not noticed any or odours around the Wintergarden, but have so in other parts of the ship. There seems to be a continuous high level of maintenance and repairs all over the QV. Today the midship pool was netted! Perhaps this ship is becoming like one’s favourite old chair or carpet slippers!
I am constantly walking around the prom and other areas when at sea and have to say that there is no evidence of mass coughing. Interestingly quite a few are wearing masks, and confess I do in the lifts when crowded: it is where masks are most noticeable.
Santa Cruz da La Palma is a fascinating place, on this wild outcrop in the Atlantic. Some passengers wonder why we called here, but there was a lovely atmosphere in the town with some very smart restaurants and cafes tucked away. It is clean and beautifully decorated for the festive season. Apart from that the geology of this volcanic island is mesmerising and the rapid change in weather and down draughts from the mountains quite interesting.
Our food has been very good to date as well as the service in the restaurant. However, the Grills afternoon tea is quite underwhelming. For me being offered a tiered cakestand full of delicious sandwiches and cakes is the essence of a luxurious tea time, as one finds in London hotels or country houses.
So tonight I am looking forward to a dover sole and other niceties, and hopefully all the swimming and walking help with the calorific balance! Tomorrow is Gran Canaria.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Deafcruise said:

Hi I hope you dont mind me asking, what the situation regarding COVID is like onboard?

Not aware of people coughing at all! All quiet on the “jungle drums” as sure it would be hot conversation if there was a problem.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the WiFi.

This is our 4th time onboard in 2022 and had 2 midship  and 2 aft locations, one of each area on both QV and QE. The aft has given quite acceptable usage on both occasions (and as of now) whilst the midships WiFi connectivity was very poor indeed.

I will not go into the expense of the new system, as has been discussed many times before and see no possibility of change for the better.

It will be interesting to compare with another line next month.

At least  Cunard must be refilling the coffers a little in these warmer climes, with so may drinking beers on the open decks whilst sunbathing, and some in the hot tubs being plied with even more bubbles! Carnival really needs to turn in some good quarter results:   we need these cruise lines to survive.

• Like 1

A short trip last night from Gran Canaria sees us in the port of Ariceffe!  Not quite so sunny today but ideally warm for either outdoor walking or being lazy in the great outdoors. It is quite an industrial little port, but beyond lies the bare volcanic soils that typifies these islands. 

A shuttle takes one from ship to marina and the town is about 1/4 mile stroll. Very quaint but a little run down: Ariceffe is in need of the tourists returning. I noticed a few very nice fish restaurants amongst the plethora of little cafes and shops.

It is disappointing to see that the forward pool is still empty, netted and obviously not in use. I had the aft pool to myself for an early morning swim, and on this particular voyage there does not seem to a vast number of swimmers. After the Beef Wellington last night, the exercise was a must!

This afternoon it is lounging on the balcony; the Norwegian Sun is just behind us, which followed us out yesterday evening.

A day at sea is now in prospect, but the weather for Lisbon looks truly awful,

631D7F5A-F20F-497C-8526-BDB1CECA17CD.jpeg

C5F8A848-3A27-4A96-94B4-8A14CDF56B56.jpeg

• Like 5

A question answered -  I do not know why one pool has been netted for a few days.

A day at our sea, which is warm, grey and quite calm for December and we are still able to sit on balcony and read. In our next port of Lisbon the weather is set to be dire, with “warnings” on the BBC site.
Early last night we left Lanzarote on time and it was the sort of balmy evening one would hope for in December. We sat on the balcony for G&T’s with some sushi.
After dinner a visit to the theatre was called for to listen to “The New Amen Corner”. A packed late performance by this versatile band with a huge repertoire of 60’s classics, was much appreciated. Hopefully the sound will be as good Saturday night in the Queen’s Room for the “last hooray” of this cruise.

This morning we listened to Penny Mallory and her exploits as a rally car driver and champion. A sport not for the faint hearted!

Some observations you might be interested in. The elegant Amanda Reid is entertainment director, and I think loved by all: she exudes style.

Considering what we have all been through these last few years, it is amazing how many wish to ignore the hand sanitisers that are around and those when reboarding in port.

I find that some folk are really inconsiderate. On our way back to our accommodation there are a couple of cabins where used pool towels are just left out in the corridor to be collected and another often sees a used glasses/cups left outside with no thought to passers by or more significantly those who have mobility issues. Thanks goodness, there are not many with this attitude.

A word must be said of Captain Tomas Connor; he has humour and warmth  in his noon day speeches, that some in his position sadly lack. The officers have been ever present around the ship and certainly approachable. We must look forward to a time when the grand Captain’s table is present in the Britannia restaurant , and the invitations to join him or his staff on formal evenings are the norm! Is that just wishful thinking?

8EE7D94F-C6AD-4C22-8150-17976D4E09F8.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

. The elegant Amanda Reid is entertainment director, and I think loved by all: she exudes style

That is very true

She to me epitomizes Cunard and why we travel with them

she is by far the best entertainment director and ambassador for that company

We arrived in Lisbon around 8.00am this morning, and fortunately the ship did not turn ready for departure so we have had the December sun on the balcony for most of the day. A pleasant surprise after seeing the forecast a few days ago. The waterfront by the cruise port has been improved so much over the past few years and there were constant free shuttles to the top of the city. A few pax just ignored the request for masks: all the places we have visited require masks on public transport. Enjoyed the colours of the city, purchased some excellent white port, walked miles and had a thoroughly good day. 

This afternoon I visited the forward pool for what could be my last swim: it really could have benefited from a few extra degrees of heat. Needless to say I swam alone, and the heavy rain shower was not exactly encouraging others.

Most evenings we have been to the atrium for a while to listen to the “strings” and it is also a good place to people watch. The dress code seems largely adhered to, but there are always a few who buck the trend. I do not like to see T-shirts worn in the evening, but such attire not evident in the theatre. 

In front of us is the AIDAStella: not sure which ship is leaving first this evening, but our back on board time is 6.00pm. I wonder what the Bay of Biscay will hold for us tomorrow?

291582FB-550E-4834-AF5E-F2D991040F8D.jpeg

C5F958AF-3AFA-4B43-8C2D-53B353E7EC30.jpeg

92CD2F65-B6AC-4F3B-B082-CF3EAE34FF22.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Morgans said:

Beautiful photos - have enjoyed 'travelling' along with you. It looks to have been a lovely holiday.  Which berth was used in Lisbon as there are several ? 

We docked at the  Jardim do Tabaco Quay, which is below the old city. On our last few visits we have been here and is easily walkable along the promenade to to the main square on the waterfront or to go into the Alfama district.

After our delightful winter escape, we are now truly rocking and rolling northwards! 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

We docked at the  Jardim do Tabaco Quay, which is below the old city. On our last few visits we have been here and is easily walkable along the promenade to to the main square on the waterfront or to go into the Alfama district.

After our delightful winter escape, we are now truly rocking and rolling northwards! 

Thanks for your posts. Very interesting. Hope you don't have to rock'n roll too much!

This mornings Force 8 has now subsided but a noticeable difference in temperature. As all the outside decks had been closed this morning a walk around the prom was beckoning after lunch: how the outdoor attire has changed in a short period with woolly hats more appropriate than the sun variety.

The Captain announced at noon that the QV will be arriving in Southampton at 01.00 on Sunday so we are at present making a speedy dash across the BoB. This is due to an electrical upgrade to the ship that will commence as soon as we arrive; the reason is that it will allow shore-side power and be more eco friendly. One can just visualise a big plug coming from the ship for a quick charge as per one’s electric car!🤣

Tonight it is the “Roaring Twenties” night, before the dreaded task of packing tomorrow. I would happily return for another Canaries cruise at Christmas.

Any last minute questions, I will try and answer.

52BB7737-38EB-4F94-A790-5165FCCC54BE.jpeg

• Like 4