Will small coffee maker be confiscated?

KKB

I know I can ask my steward for one for the room (if it isn't in the closet like it was in Aug).

We are heading to Vegas for 5 nights after the cruise & I like to bring one to save a few $ (hey, 2 checked bags each on SWA!)

But if it is going to cause a hassle at the port, I'm not sure I. wanna deal with it. 

Not sure where in LV you are staying after your cruise, but you'll likely be close enough to a retail place to buy a $20-$25 coffee maker there....which may or may not be an overall value for you depending on how much coffee you drink in your room...but it will definitely be more convenient for you.

For example, there's a Target right across from Park MGM.

One time in LV, I bought a box fan in CVS b/c I like white noise in the room.  Of course I left it there, but the peaceful sleep was worth it for me.

21 hours ago, *MoonLady* said:

It is on the list for banned items so yes. Not sure why you believe that you need it. You can get coffee pretty much any time. 

As I said, this is for our Vegas trip following the cruise.

20 hours ago, JGmf said:

Not sure where in LV you are staying after your cruise, but you'll likely be close enough to a retail place to buy a $20-$25 coffee maker there....which may or may not be an overall value for you depending on how much coffee you drink in your room...but it will definitely be more convenient for you.

For example, there's a Target right across from Park MGM.

One time in LV, I bought a box fan in CVS b/c I like white noise in the room.  Of course I left it there, but the peaceful sleep was worth it for me.

Not much of a savings if I have to buy another coffee maker...I'll just grab a $5 Starbucks each morning or get "$20 coffee" at the video poker bar in the morning (oh, it can easily be $40+ coffee!).

Before/during COVID we were hitting Vegas 4x/yr so for up to 2 weeks at a time so the coffee maker is nice...I like to my coffee while getting ready. 

But might have "overdosed" on Vegas during COVID (nowhere else to go!) & haven't been in over a year!

Truly not a big deal...yes, they would confiscate & give it back to me upon departure, but not worth the hassle.

Thx all

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Not much of a savings if I have to buy another coffee maker..

Confiscated items are typically returned at the end of the cruise.  At least I know that anything I had confiscated was returned. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Confiscated items are typically returned at the end of the cruise.  At least I know that anything I had confiscated was returned. 

My response was to the person who suggested I buy one in Vegas

I have a similar question, wanting to bring a small mini crock pot for my hotel stay prior to my cruise.  I have food sensitivities so eating out isn't always simple. Over time I've picked up several of these at thrift stores for less than $5 so if they confiscate it, no big loss.  So my options are in my carryon so they might confiscate before I get on the ship (and discard???). Or in my checked luggage so I have to go to the naughty room to get my luggage but I retrieve after the cruise.  Or I gift it to the hotel maid, which I've done before - but this time in a foreign country so a US plug.

So interested in others experience with forbidden items. Note, I have no intention of using it onboard, just weighing my options.

To the OP: you can always put it in your checked luggage but might have to retrieve your luggage from guest services, then pick it up the last night.

We always travel with a four cup percolator and bring out own coffee.  It’s what we like. Mine never had a cup,of coffee onboard that was as good as we drink at home.  But someone in our group brought hers and they confiscated it and kept it til debarkation morning.  NCL used to have four up pots which I liked much better than the pods using type they have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Best bet is to reconsider your hotel choice in Vegas and find one that includes a coffee pot. I'm surprised that you managed to find a hotel which doesn't as I thought 99% of them did.

They don’t.  I’m literally sitting in a room at Planet Hollywood as I type this. We have our coffee maker that we brought with us in the car. Fortunately, they now have refrigerators for my beer.  😎

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Best bet is to reconsider your hotel choice in Vegas and find one that includes a coffee pot. I'm surprised that you managed to find a hotel which doesn't as I thought 99% of them did.

My experience is that hotel rooms now have Keurig type machines. The coffee is weak for my taste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

My experience is that hotel rooms now have Keurig type machines. The coffee is weak for my taste.

Agreed that Keurig makes weak coffee.  Try making Keurig coffee with 6 oz of water instead of 8, or 4 instead of 6.  That makes it palatable for me. 

If you want *really good* pod type coffee, get a Nespresso machine.  Lots better than Keurig.

Edited by The Other Tom
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

They don’t.  I’m literally sitting in a room at Planet Hollywood as I type this. We have our coffee maker that we brought with us in the car. Fortunately, they now have refrigerators for my beer.  😎

Our last stay in Vegas was at Vdara Resort on the main strip and it did not have a coffee pot either which was weird because it had a mini kitchen. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, Sailing12Away said:

On 11/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, MJSailors said:

Vegas is a different animal. 

VERY few rooms have coffee makers!

RE: original question: I am no bringing the coffee maker. We realize that we can only check 1 bag each on Frontier (SWA to cruise, Frontier to LV...not thrilled but $250 for both of us from MIA-LV & LV-OMA is a hell of a deal; plus DH had some match thing that gets us a free carry on & checked bag each). PLUS it can only be 40 lbs...AND cruise weather is very different from Dec. Vegas weather SO extra stuff is OUT.

Thanks for everyone's help.