Strange question Re taking a pump onboard.

Flojoe8

Hi there. We have been on many cruises (over 20) but since we have last cruised I now have a lymphatic pump to help me with my lymphodema in my arm (due to lymph node removal after cancer treatment) it’s a LX9 pump. My question is if I take it on as carry on will they querie it and for some reason take it off me? As they may not know what it is. 
we are going on back to back on Quantum Of the seas  in Dec/Jan. Any advice would be appreciated x

Edited by Flojoe8
Spelling

With out a doubt, RCI as with any other line, will accommodate your medical necessities.  I do believe their is a particular department that you need to speak with, accessible through RCI's CS line.  I have not personally need to make that call, but I've read from other posts that it's the thing to do in advance.  Somehow, whether is be a letter or email you receive, you'll have something as you pass through security in the port. 

I suggest you contact RC via https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs That provides a form for you to fill out. The website says you will get a personal response within 48 hours. If not, then you are directed to email them at special_needs@rccl.com or call them at 866.592.7225. I don't think you'll have any problems with your pump since it is a medical necessity. I used the website for my CPAP machine (they probably have a few hundred of those on every Oasis class sailing). Good luck, but don't worry.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts/replies. I guess technically it’s not medical (I can go without it) it’s just like having a massage on my arm or a lymphatic drain massage. I will call or email them just for peace of mind I think as I would like to take it as arm is worse  and swells in the heat (and we going South Pacific) and the massages on ship are

quite expensive so wouldn’t want to have a daily massage there 🙈

Thanks again 

On 11/30/2022 at 5:50 AM, ramja96 said:

Wow, my answer was heading in a COMPLETELY different direction, as I thought it said "DUMP". 💩

I'm only doing this after the OP is satisfied with the responses to his request.

Your post reminds me of the new warnings in the bathroom as to what can be flushed, and threatening a fine if the toilet becomes clogged.  I get PTSD-flashback-like visions of trips through the WJ Food Trough, seeing people, as wide as they are tall, carrying plates, sometimes two, loaded with a mountain of food, as I wonder... how is ALL THAT going to fit through that tiny vacuum pipe.... and will they be fined if it doesn't??? 

On 11/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, Fontaid said:

I suggest you contact RC via https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs That provides a form for you to fill out. The website says you will get a personal response within 48 hours. If not, then you are directed to email them at special_needs@rccl.com or call them at 866.592.7225.

Yeah, this right here!  Not only will they approve the device, but they may even provide an extension cord so you can use it in bed or on the couch.

--bruce T.

Years ago I sailed on Carnival with my FlexiTouch lymphatic pump without issue.  I know that doesn't help you out now, but just wanted to say "You got this!" .  Used my pump every night for about 5 years (52 minutes each night!).  It is a commitment for sure. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ButterflyGirly said:

Years ago I sailed on Carnival with my FlexiTouch lymphatic pump without issue.  I know that doesn't help you out now, but just wanted to say "You got this!" .  Used my pump every night for about 5 years (52 minutes each night!).  It is a commitment for sure. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much. At least you know what I am talking about. 😃 I do 60 min a night even though I was told I should do it twice a day.  (Maybe on cruise I will be able to) if I am in relax mode 🙈

thanks again. 
Fiona 

13 hours ago, ButterflyGirly said:

On 12/4/2022 at 2:33 PM, Btank said:

Yeah, this right here!  Not only will they approve the device, but they may even provide an extension cord so you can use it in bed or on the couch.

--bruce T.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:33 PM, Btank said:

--bruce T.

Thank you. I will contact them and explain. Thanks again. Everyone on here are awesome. 
😃

On 12/1/2022 at 4:41 AM, Flojoe8 said:

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts/replies. I guess technically it’s not medical (I can go without it) it’s just like having a massage on my arm or a lymphatic drain massage. I will call or email them just for peace of mind I think as I would like to take it as arm is worse  and swells in the heat (and we going South Pacific) and the massages on ship are

Thanks again 

Take it with you.  No need for you to suffer.  You'll probably have to explain the weird contraption (mine makes me look like the Michelin Man).  With all the added salt they put in the food it won't hurt to have the fluids pushed out correctly. 

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. 

You should have no problems boarding with your pump.

If for some odd reason there is a problem, ask for a member of the on board medical staff (doctor or nurse) to come ashore. They will be able to clear the device for boarding.

Edited by Homosassa

On 12/1/2022 at 4:41 AM, Flojoe8 said:

Thanks again 

Don't sell yourself or your needs short!  It is absolutely medical!  I'm a certified lymphedema therapist and would certainly write you a letter if you were my patient, so in the unlikely case Royal gives you any pushback reach out to your MD or CLT.

Heat and air travel are both triggers for lymphedema. Please take care of yourself and wear your garments and use your pump.  I don't know that any of the on ship therapists would be trained in MLD, so take care of you.  ❤️

19 hours ago, chilis said:

Don't sell yourself or your needs short!  It is absolutely medical!  I'm a certified lymphedema therapist and would certainly write you a letter if you were my patient, so in the unlikely case Royal gives you any pushback reach out to your MD or CLT.

Heat and air travel are both triggers for lymphedema. Please take care of yourself and wear your garments and use your pump.  I don't know that any of the on ship therapists would be trained in MLD, so take care of you.  ❤️

Thank you so very much. It’s nice that someone knows what I am talking about. I have the garments/sleeve for day use and a comfy wave night garment and the pump is that extra lil treatment that helps. I won’t be having any lasar while away so think the pump will be used more 
thanks again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

My mom had lymphedema in her legs and cruised with her pump multiple times. I don't believe she ever contacted anyone about it. 

Thank you very much. I actually tried to fill out the form as was advised on here but it would t let me send as it said it had to be min 30 days prior to sailing. No probs I feel more confident in just taking it now. Thanks 😃