Chart Auctions

rafinmd

For as long as I have sailed Cunard, at the end of each voyage there was an auction of the Navigation Chart to benefit the Prince's Trust.  That did not happen on my last sailing, and I'm wondering if it was because it was (1)part of a longer voyage to/from Southampton, (2) difficulty getting paper charts in the era of electronic charts, or (3) something else.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Roy

54 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For as long as I have sailed Cunard, at the end of each voyage there was an auction of the Navigation Chart to benefit the Prince's Trust.  That did not happen on my last sailing, and I'm wondering if it was because it was (1)part of a longer voyage to/from Southampton, (2) difficulty getting paper charts in the era of electronic charts, or (3) something else.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Roy

I have been on QM2 to platinum level and I have never heard of such an auction?

No chart auctions on our recent sailing [M234A round trip] - I do recall the auctions from 2017 & 2019 [I did not place a winning bid on either].

The auctions were introduced as part of a World Club party - often with both the Captain's and a featured speaker [Steve Payne, Anthony Inglis] signature. 

Last 3 cruises no auction

was told on our behind the scenes tour Due to the computerisation of everything charts are now old fashioned and not many shipping organisations use them so they have become very expensive

to buy as well

climbed of QV last week and the chart wasn’t even in the cabinet by the table tennis table - in its usual place were some Photos of the ships pods and some laminated explanations of the pods 

sad really as used to like looking at the chart

We did two cruises with Cunard in the Mediterranean this summer. On both cruises there was a silent auction of the charts, advertised in the daily programme.

We put our bid into a box near the Purser's office and later that day they called to tell us our bid had been successful. So we ended up with two charts.

We didn't buy souvenirs from any of the places we visited and the chart is a nice momemto of our trips.

• Like 1

We were on the QM2 a few years ago sailing from Southampton to Cape Town. It wasn't a silent auction and on this voyage the chart went for about $700.

For the chart on our first Med cruise this summer I think I bid $300 or $350.

On our second cruise I bid $200.

As mentioned, I was the winning bidder at both auctions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, techteach said:

Thanks @BigMac1953. I’m really excited about this and hope it happens. Problem: What would we do with it? Our walls are covered with paintings of sailing ships!

Our house is on three floors. We have four large signed prints of Cunard ships around the middle floor. The flag is also hung in the hallway with sa letter of provenance from Commodore Christopher.

There is also my effort which is inside the life ring bought on QE2 and signed by officers, crew, speakers and the late Bea Muller:

UKYR86Q9iAMyD2etwWTvQ9mEuVEFsFFQvsQkXXl1PA96-G90Ar2yaw8CjEqButvDY1VvORtsZiyP42AQxiAHB3wd3_ayw3N3G-kxpx4_ckNaatfPbfJjwDLIDSlfqDMpB2Fg7su59c1iZn19SVvvBC-Psu4OduIFfJWWSAmkRM9AWrsHYb8cmONhTyxn1yBmVGFdZFynAfplgPKOGvc3Zr59VYahrziEXnF0mUI58Xk77gz3fv1mle3cWPO2WojZ_CKPNBqphZ-CfJZ4TMzYigXwdhbavEML5LWvLV_AEN2SHCKWla_MqjMLE4srdGyVjK_zAWeHXNlC62_58Y4Ang02gpHmZX52bMSD8wuCY_PjNAve8WEewyC0_OAW2a0ekkkczYbBTO6YH3-QDvIVqPB63Cf_zTLcKOubZhD8Z1AhmexVq8QiODGv0xIBWIa7VlhqeVSOJ83qNPlLO_e0IMoerJL1kfFXue7bpoUEu9c5MtHW5tRKdrmRAJIRtsipSP8mJsGuWWkc_oH7Y49T6z8DoChl6-V6Nb15e04NIMukzNyNwprHUpUajTcpkYo-s6sdYO_SbMFEXUwzPkdpWaZWPKJ8o3ao6Ac6aZyRIfnd2AseHNI6IunsdGbk72uagyBN4bFKEAVu5ZBZWOkFSgyQ4KW1ptxWwU3Za-RXiZIruYPZJT5FRDvAoW5L4LlCLi2aGj9RzWs4slIxml1nuQoU1u9wzBzH4w9a4FF1ul0D-L2vn0UTP7lDUbtNdofE3rbd5mUQOfBgWP2d5t-XzgrnHmJeqMHckV9VREn0yDG6JDPd-wv5jtpCcd_j8LauiGZO64VvCSJ3rNtuhW-QRj1Cp7IUMHuKY-6bhrFtg6yrCu4hPLhgnnX6ahXGK7rnvPkSbfJHuk_THDrBo-tlHhznFY3gbi_Re8wxQiFCx6iRRXk=w1600-h1200-no?authuser=0

• Like 3