Upgrade/downgrade to/from AI

Islander500

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Does Celebrity allow upgrade to AI or downgrade to Cruise Only after final payment? Just curious if that’s an option.  

I suspect you could upgrade at the prevailing rate.  As you probably know AI is not a separate charge, but is built into the rate.  Downgrading might be more of a challenge, since you are in the penalty phase.  

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect you could upgrade at the prevailing rate.  As you probably know AI is not a separate charge, but is built into the rate.  Downgrading might be more of a challenge, since you are in the penalty phase.  

A? is a separate rate.  It is an Add-On

54 minutes ago, mandream said:

Agree it is an add-on (now) but they still would not let us add it to an existing reservation without re-pricing at current rates.  

Mike

It's my understanding that AI is still part of the fare (not an optional item) for most Aqua and higher cabins

You can say it's additive to the cruise only rate but as @jagoffee says they are different rates.  AI is built into that higher rate.  The only way to change rate is at prevailing rates even before final payment.  After final payment they usually let you "upgrade" to another category as long as it is at least $1 more than your current rate.   I'd assume the same for going from cruise only to AI in the same category or higher as long as you're giving them more $$.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, the penguins said:

True - the moral is do your research before booking.

Actually, the problem is that I booked a Cruise Only rate (after final payment). The website asked for the deposit & I figured I could do my research that day to decide if I wanted the AI with the perks and pay later that same day.  When I called later to make final payment (because the website wasn’t showing my reservation so I couldn’t pay on-line), the Celebrity Rep really pushed AI and quoted me a rate. I agreed to upgrade & paid in full. Immediately, I received an email with my booking statement showing the cruise was fully paid.  

Then the next night, I get another email, stating I still owed the gratuities & if I didn’t pay another $360 dollars, they would cancel the cruise.  That really pissed me off.  
So I called them back and told them I wanted to revert to the Cruise Only rate because I’d been told that I was fully paid and now was being told I still owed money. They said no, past final payment.  
Their explanation was that the Celebrity “system” needed to get itself straightened out and that it will add and subtract charges; that, I should just ignore any other emails threatening to cancel if I didn’t pay more.
BTW, I’m still getting them 5 days later.  

This was supposed to be a last minute stress-relieving getaway.  So far, at least, it’s not been that…