Flu around the ships--Nieuw Amsterdam

12cruise2

2 hours ago, esimon said:

gotta love these threads -   people have been getting sick on cruise ships since they started - use to call it Norovirus -  now it's covid  or the flu - or the next "virus"   people should NOT travel if this is a problem -   take your masks if you wish - people won't stop you -  PLEASE do not make me put one on -   my body my choice

Yah.  It is also your choice to stay in your room, mask or do whatever you can to protect others from an infection, right?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No, they can’t afford it.  Have you looked at their balance sheet?

Of course, I'm not a management expert.

I'm under the impression that CCL is focused on the income statement; in particular the top line (revenue). In order to get new loans, gotta show the investors that they can fill the ships and squeeze more onboard $$ from the pax. Naturally, they've got to lure pax onboard before they get the chance to upsell.

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Of course, I'm not a management expert.

I'm under the impression that CCL is focused on the income statement; in particular the top line (revenue). In order to get new loans, gotta show the investors that they can fill the ships and squeeze more onboard $$ from the pax. Naturally, they've got to lure pax onboard before they get the chance to upsell.

Disease focused policy isn’t exactly a lure😁. But I understand you and @cruisemom42POV, I simply disagree.  I would really like to see the policy statement about this.   The covid policy, after many revisions, is finally fairly clear.  I have never known there was a quarantine assurance of repayment for your inconvenience for other diseases clause in the cruise contract.   If someone can provide us with a link to this policy statement I sure would like to see it. .  Thanks 

Edited by Mary229

On 12/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, Mary229 said:

Usually those provisions are covered by insurance.  Did @12cruise2 have insurance through HAL?  That would explain her payment 

No we didn't have insurance through HAL.  This had nothing to do with insurance.  Mary, relax, you can't know EVERYTHING.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

No we didn't have insurance through HAL.  This had nothing to do with insurance.  Mary, relax, you can't know EVERYTHING.

I am relaxed.  I want to see this policy.  Many of us would like to see this policy.   Some would rest assured by this and as a shareholder I would like to know what they are doing.   

On 12/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, LMaxwell said:

See people hack and wheeze all the time; they do nothing for others but expect everyone else to stay away and provide a vacation bubble for them.  how's that work? 

I don't hack and where all the time -  or at all for that matter -  I don't travel sick - If someone does- I just don't sit next to the hackers Lol  as stated above

On 12/6/2022 at 7:04 AM, Mary229 said:

…The covid policy, after many revisions, is finally fairly clear.  I have never known there was a quarantine assurance of repayment for your inconvenience for other diseases clause in the cruise contract.   If someone can provide us with a link to this policy statement I sure would like to see it. . . .  

I’m traveling at the moment so don’t have access to old documents, but I do recall pre-pandemic letters being sent to our stateroom. This was when there was significant Norovirus onboard and the color level was elevated. The letter conveyed that those with symptoms should report their condition to medical and if sick, would receive their fare back for days missed due to isolation.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, Mary229 said:

I was on a small group trip Thanksgiving weekend. At lunch I was seated next to someone who was coughing.  I immediately, politely and discretely asked them if they had a cold (much less contentious).  They said no, it was an allergy.   They then politely asked what I would have said if they had responded yes.  I said I would have politely moved myself to another table. Seems like in a civil society you have a right to exclude yourself from contact without enforcing dictums on others 

But why should the onus be on the person who is well and is not doing anything wrong rather than on the person who is sick and whom medical advice would be to isolate themselves and avoid being around others until they are no longer contagious.

This has been the rule in my workplace for years. I thought it was common practice.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, 12cruise2 said:

Yes, of course we got our flu shots.  I'm writing to be sure that those who are headed on longer cruises are prepared to deal with serious flu, depending on one's health and pre-existing conditions.  Treating oneself alone probably is not enough, and by doing that, you are also exposing others around the ship to the flu, needlessly.   

Everyday learning something new... I had no clue (seriously!!!) until this moment that taking medicine for any cause makes others sick.  I will remember it for my upcoming December 20 16-day Regent cruise - by any means, I will refuse to take any medicine no matter how I feel!

Voyage, Voyage, everyone!!!

Edited by kirtihk

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But why should the onus be on the person who is well and is not doing anything wrong rather than on the person who is sick and whom medical advice would be to isolate themselves and avoid being around others until they are no longer contagious.

This has been the rule in my workplace for years. I thought it was common practice.

You would assume they follow common sense and not be on the outing but I wanted to check.  I don’t think I need to go about with a mask because others may be sick, that is the dictum I am speaking of.  The onus shouldn’t be on the healthy 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 5:41 AM, LMaxwell said:

Wonder if the turnover days are enough time for sanitization of public areas or it's just a quick spit shine? 

They are constantly wiping everything down.  Keep your hands washed.

• Like 1