Main dining room vs lido buffet

Astromaid

38 minutes ago, HectorAchilleus said:

A nice aspect of ATD is that you can avoid the song/dance routines by the waiters. There were times when we waited 30-40 min. for dessert due to that.

I have been on a ton of Carnival cruises, and I don't ever remember my dessert being delayed more than a few minutes because of Showtime.  And most of the time, it arrived beforehand.

I am sure that if you specifically asked for your dessert to be served before the show, they could accommodate you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I have been on a ton of Carnival cruises, and I don't ever remember my dessert being delayed more than a few minutes because of Showtime.  And most of the time, it arrived beforehand.

I've heard people say that everything comes to a standstill in the MDR during Sssssshowtime and that every waiter and every server participates in the show.   

In my experience that is far from the case.  We've been served desserts and entrees during Showtime and you can look around and easily see staff continuing to bring food out, etc.   

• Like 2

Thank you all for the suggestions, I have switched to anytime dining. I especially like the idea of no show time. It irritates me that service is stopped and I tell Carnival this everytime. Let the waiters be waiters, I go to the theater for entertainment. 

10 hours ago, Astromaid said:

Thank you all for the suggestions, I have switched to anytime dining. I especially like the idea of no show time. It irritates me that service is stopped and I tell Carnival this everytime. Let the waiters be waiters, I go to the theater for entertainment. 

our cruise on the Vista in Nov had "Showtime" every single night, in both MDR.  That was part of the problem for us.  We ordered appetizers, took 30 minutes for them to come, then we sat and sat and sat...then they announced "Showtime" and you could hear every person in the dining room sigh.  It wasn't just us... no food until after the song.  

• Like 1