10% bonus on Holland America Gift cards

If you are counting on travel insurance or protection from your credit card -- the amount paid via AARP cards will NOT be covered! This from my Chase banker in re to the Sapphire credit card.

Not sure about the HAL gift cards. The AARP cards come through as something like "Charity", not travel...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

If you are counting on travel insurance or protection from your credit card -- the amount paid via AARP cards will NOT be covered! This from my Chase banker in re to the Sapphire credit card.

Not sure about the HAL gift cards. The AARP cards come through as something like "Charity", not travel...

You are correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

That's really good to know! Thanks

23 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I never risk it, I use cards to pay for excursions and shipboard accounts.  Others have said it would be covered  but I always considered that advice suspect. 

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I never risk it, I use cards to pay for excursions and shipboard accounts.  Others have said it would be covered  but I always considered that advice suspect. 

Oh, now you have hit on a good plan! I will keep that in mind for the longer (expensive) cruise coming up in 2024.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Oh, now you have hit on a good plan! I will keep that in mind for the longer (expensive) cruise coming up in 2024.

HAL will refund all expenses such as meals, excursions, packages if you don’t cruise.  There are a few overland trips and special excursions that are excepted and those should be purchased with credit card.  Of course 10% discount on the cruise fare could make buying third party insurance worth a look 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

the AARP offer is a bit better since it is a 10% discount (pay $450 for $500) rather than a bonus

pay (pay $500 for $550) and the bonus expires after a year.

Thank you for that clarification!

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

If I buy the AARP cards, can I turn them in at Guest Services on the ship to pay for my shipboard account, such as crew appreciation?

Yes, you can also use them ahead  of time for packages, excursions or dining.  They cannot be used for crew gratuities online but can be in person

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Not sure which Chase card you have. My Chase Sapphire Preferred Guide to Benefits says a portion of the trip must be charged to the account. I have paid about 60 percent on the card and 40 percent using gift cards. YMMV.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

on the HAL site..

* By clicking above, you will be re-directed to our third-party vendor site

Edited by VermeulT

Just purchased for my Jan cruise… anyone know how long the promo is on for?  Wouldn’t mind pushing the purchase to the next credit card cycle for more purchases for April’s cruise.

Plus, it seems they have gotten better with the bonus card… bought $500 and got a single $50 bonus card as opposed to two $25 ones which happened last time.

Edited by Djb4CC
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

Just purchased for my Jan cruise… anyone know how long the promo is on for?  Wouldn’t mind pushing the purchase to the next credit card cycle for more purchases for April’s cruise.

Plus, it seems they have gotten better with the bonus card… bought $500 and got a single $50 bonus card as opposed to two $25 ones which happened last time.

Website says until December 13

How does one use the gift card for onboard expenses? We are sailing next week and I would like to purchase a digital version to use on that sailing, but I am not clear on how would I use it onboard( and I read their terms and conditions section). For example, I am buying a drink at the bar and I would like to charge it agains that ( digital) gift card and not on my onboard account. How do I do that?

20 minutes ago, olya1972 said:

How does one use the gift card for onboard expenses? We are sailing next week and I would like to purchase a digital version to use on that sailing, but I am not clear on how would I use it onboard( and I read their terms and conditions section). For example, I am buying a drink at the bar and I would like to charge it agains that ( digital) gift card and not on my onboard account. How do I do that?

I don’t think you can use it for individual purchases, it gets applied to your ship board account at the guest services counter.  You can either apply it at the start and therefore have a credit you draw down on your account, or applied later to pay off your account before final billing day.

48 minutes ago, olya1972 said:

Nothing on a cruise ship is bought with cash or cash-like methods.   The best you can do is go to the desk and have them apply your gift card balance to your account.  Once used up it will switch to your credit card.  Some people who don’t want to use a credit card hand them cash for a shipboard balance. Still if used up it will go to your credit card.  You can watch your daily balance on the app