Loyal Royal trying out NCL! Could use some helpful advice😊

zanydoc

Hey there, NCL Peeps! We are excited to try out NCL Breakaway for the 5 day out of NOLA in a couple of weeks. We have been cruising almost exclusively with Royal for 30 years and we have been on NCL, but it’s been over a decade at least and I was hoping for some helpful tips from ya’ll. Please walk me through the current embarkation process…Do we need anything besides our passports and boarding pass at this point? Do we need to make dining/show reservations when we board or can we just show up for these things every night? If we do need to make reservations, where do we do it? Where are the best places to get lunch that first day?

In regards to the free at sea program…With the unlimited drinks package, is there a limit to how many drinks are included? Can someone please post a menu of the included liquors/beers/wines? For the 1 free specialty dining that is included, I did make a reservation on line for the teppanyaki/hibachi restaurant…is it good on this ship or would you recommend something different? 

We are staying in one of the Concierge club suites with our 17 year old son. Does this include anything interesting or is it just a bigger room with a bigger shower? Are day passes available for the spa on this ship? Are there any not miss shows or activities on this ship that you would recommend? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide, Happy Sailings, and Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

You definitely want to reserve specialty dining and shows ahead of time, on the app or on screens onboard. You can drink as much as you’d like, most drinks are included but if not, you just pay the difference over $15 plus gratuity on that amount. We are a family of 7 and have never made MDR reservations. After boarding we head to the open MDR for a relaxing lunch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Do we need to make dining/show reservations when we board or can we just show up for these things every night? If we do need to make reservations, where do we do it?

Looks like you already made your speciality dining reservation…so that’s good.  Our favorite Breakaway Restaurants are Cagneys and Moderno…but Teppanyaki is entertaining and you will just pay $58.80 ($49 plus 20% gratuity) if your 17 y/o joins you.

It is best to make reservations for entertainment as soon as you board.  Go to the box office outside of the theatre, starboard side Deck 7.

30 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

We are staying in one of the Concierge club suites

Do you mean Club Balcony Suite or a Haven suite with concierge?  If it is Club Balcony Suite, the cabin is the same size as a balcony cabin with a larger bathroom.  The room steward will turn the sofa into a bed for your son each night.  

34 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Are there any not miss shows or activities on this ship that you would recommend? 

Definitely make reservations for SIX.  Google the broadway show so you know the storyline before hand.  Burn the Floor is also good., but probably not so interesting for your son.  He will probably like the Entourage.  Syd Normans is a rock house and the music entertainers are really good.  It’s small and gets crowded so get there early.  I think doors open about 30 mins before the nightly performance…and there may already be a line…especially for the Rumors performance.

Enjoy your cruise…NCL staff are amazing. 

• Like 1

Thank you, @laudergaylefor your replies! Post pandemic, For Royal we have to do these reservations on the app right after boarding and it is always a pain. I like hearing that we can go to the box office to reserve the shows…or do we actually have a concierge somewhere with the concierge club suite (non-haven) who can make these rezzies for us? 

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

You definitely want to reserve specialty dining and shows ahead of time, on the app or on screens onboard. You can drink as much as you’d like, most drinks are included but if not, you just pay the difference over $15 plus gratuity on that amount. We are a family of 7 and have never made MDR reservations. After boarding we head to the open MDR for a relaxing lunch.

Thanks! So, for just the regular MDR dinners you can show up at any time and be seated? 

7 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

or do we actually have a concierge somewhere with the concierge club suite (non-haven) who can make these rezzies for us? 

There is no concierge for club balcony ☹️.  While you can use the touch screens outside the elevator banks, I prefer to do it at the box office so you can see all the entertainment choices…not just the ones that require reservations. And you get to keep the paper menu for reference.  We also make our main dining room reservations around the entertainment. When you show up at MDRs with reservations they take you right in.  You can do dining reservations on the touch screens.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Thank you, @laudergaylefor your replies! Post pandemic, For Royal we have to do these reservations on the app right after boarding and it is always a pain. I like hearing that we can go to the box office to reserve the shows…or do we actually have a concierge somewhere with the concierge club suite (non-haven) who can make these rezzies for us? 

NCL does not have any "concierge club suites"!

(Therefore, if you are in any "M" room, you will NOT have any concierge services.)

Only Haven ("H") Suites have concierge services on the BREAKAWAY.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Based on you saying that you have a "concierge club suite," I'm going to guess you have a Club Balcony Suite. This entitles you to a free load of laundry, bigger bathroom, and nothing else (I think). Someone will correct me if there are other perks. I do know that a concierge is not one of the perks.

You can make reservations on touh screen TV's throughout the ship, on your TV, or by going to the appropriate counter/restaurant (on embarkation day).

11 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Thanks! So, for just the regular MDR dinners you can show up at any time and be seated? 

Sure can! You might have to wait a little bit. I have never had to wait, but others have said they did. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

Club Balcony Suites receive 2 "treats" delivered during the cruise.

(Ours were chocolate covered strawberries and cookies.)  Also, you get one free bag of Laundry!

And, as @cruiseny4life stated, the bathroom is larger than in a regular balcony room!

Edited by ggTexasGal
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Are there any not miss shows or activities on this ship that you would recommend? 

Do not miss SIX!   Head straight to the box office right after you board and make reservations!   🙂 

We first saw SIX on the Breakaway last year and loved it so much we went back the second night.  (Would have gone again had there been another performance.)  We've since seen the American touring company and, two months ago, we saw SIX in London.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Please walk me through the current embarkation process…Do we need anything besides our passports and boarding pass at this point?

@zanydoc First welcome.  21 days before boarding the NCL website opens up for you to Check-In online.  Do it right away.  You can than choose a time for embarkment.  NOLA on a good day is a horrible place to board a ship.  My strategy is to check in early and plant myself by the boarding door.  They will give you a boarding group when you check-in.  Unless the covid rules have changed, you are good to go with your boarding passes, credit card and passports.

Do we need to make dining/show reservations when we board or can we just show up for these things every night?

If you are in the Haven VIP area, you can make dining reservations 130 days prior to your cruise.  If you are in a Suite or Club Suite, you can do it125 day and everyone else is 120 days.  Make them as soon as you can. They fill up fast.  If you have not done this yet and don't like what is being offered online, make a reservation anyway and change it when you get onboard.  The shows sometimes open up for online reservations.  Some times you need to do it when you get on board. 

If we do need to make reservations, where do we do it? W

Go to the box office, guest services or on the screen in your cabin.  If you are in the Haven, the Haven desk will handle it. 

Where are the best places to get lunch that first day?

Most folks go to the buffet or the 24/7 restaurant.  It depends what time you get on the ship.  All venues tend to be crowded especially now that the ships are more filled up. If you are in the Haven you can eat lunch at the Haven Restaurant or the American Diner.  I would do the Haven Restaurant. 

In regards to the free at sea program…With the unlimited drinks package, is there a limit to how many drinks are included?

No limit to number of drinks.  The drink needs to be $15.00 or less.  If it is more, you will be charged the difference.  You can get two drinks at one time.  Remember Bottle water, Starbucks Coffee, Specialty Coffee, Fresh Squeezed juices and energy drinks are not included in the Premium Drink Program.  There is an upgraded drink package for a cost called the Premium Plus Drink Package.

For the 1 free specialty dining that is included, I did make a reservation on line for the teppanyaki/hibachi restaurant…is it good on this ship or would you recommend something different? 

I love it and always do it the last night because it is always a great memory.

Does this include anything interesting or is it just a bigger room with a bigger shower?

Bigger room with a bigger shower is a good description.  If it is a club suite you get a few afternoon snacks and one bag of laundry.  

Are day passes available for the spa on this ship?

There are day and week passes for the Thermal Spa and the Vibe Beach Club.  You can purchase the week passes on your online NCL account.  Vibe is a adult only sundeck with a bar, comfy lounge chairs, umbrella's and hot tubs.  This is the choice if the weather at the time is good.  If they weather is not good or cold, the Thermal Spa is also an adult only area but inside with Sauna, Steam and Salt.

Six and Burn the Floor are excellent and I am really picky. The pay for dinner show does not get great reviews. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@zanydoc First welcome.  21 days before boarding the NCL website opens up for you to Check-In online.  Do it right away.  You can than choose a time for embarkment.  NOLA on a good day is a horrible place to board a ship.  My strategy is to check in early and plant myself by the boarding door.  They will give you a boarding group when you check-in.  Unless the covid rules have changed, you are good to go with your boarding passes, credit card and passports.

If you are in the Haven VIP area, you can make dining reservations 130 days prior to your cruise.  If you are in a Suite or Club Suite, you can do it125 day and everyone else is 120 days.  Make them as soon as you can. They fill up fast.  If you have not done this yet and don't like what is being offered online, make a reservation anyway and change it when you get onboard.  The shows sometimes open up for online reservations.  Some times you need to do it when you get on board. 

Go to the box office, guest services or on the screen in your cabin.  If you are in the Haven, the Haven desk will handle it. 

Most folks go to the buffet or the 24/7 restaurant.  It depends what time you get on the ship.  All venues tend to be crowded especially now that the ships are more filled up. If you are in the Haven you can eat lunch at the Haven Restaurant or the American Diner.  I would do the Haven Restaurant. 

No limit to number of drinks.  The drink needs to be $15.00 or less.  If it is more, you will be charged the difference.  You can get two drinks at one time.  Remember Bottle water, Starbucks Coffee, Specialty Coffee, Fresh Squeezed juices and energy drinks are not included in the Premium Drink Program.  There is an upgraded drink package for a cost called the Premium Plus Drink Package.

I love it and always do it the last night because it is always a great memory.

Bigger room with a bigger shower is a good description.  If it is a club suite you get a few afternoon snacks and one bag of laundry.  

There are day and week passes for the Thermal Spa and the Vibe Beach Club.  You can purchase the week passes on your online NCL account.  Vibe is a adult only sundeck with a bar, comfy lounge chairs, umbrella's and hot tubs.  This is the choice if the weather at the time is good.  If they weather is not good or cold, the Thermal Spa is also an adult only area but inside with Sauna, Steam and Salt.

Six and Burn the Floor are excellent and I am really picky. The pay for dinner show does not get great reviews. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

The cabins are not bigger, just the bathroom. I’ve heard you can buy spa day passes on port days if not sold out, I’ve never heard of vibe day passes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Hey there, NCL Peeps! We are excited to try out NCL Breakaway for the 5 day out of NOLA in a couple of weeks. We have been cruising almost exclusively with Royal for 30 years and we have been on NCL, but it’s been over a decade at least and I was hoping for some helpful tips from ya’ll. Please walk me through the current embarkation process…Do we need anything besides our passports and boarding pass at this point? Do we need to make dining/show reservations when we board or can we just show up for these things every night? If we do need to make reservations, where do we do it? Where are the best places to get lunch that first day?

In regards to the free at sea program…With the unlimited drinks package, is there a limit to how many drinks are included? Can someone please post a menu of the included liquors/beers/wines? For the 1 free specialty dining that is included, I did make a reservation on line for the teppanyaki/hibachi restaurant…is it good on this ship or would you recommend something different? 

We are staying in one of the Concierge club suites with our 17 year old son. Does this include anything interesting or is it just a bigger room with a bigger shower? Are day passes available for the spa on this ship? Are there any not miss shows or activities on this ship that you would recommend? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide, Happy Sailings, and Merry Christmas!

If you want a peek at the ship, skim [quickly] through my life post from the Breakaway in August below. 

Check-in: Just present your passport and credit card. They will hand you your room keys right there (no Set Sail pass until you get to your room). You will be given a boarding group and called to board in that order. Suites boarding normally starts around 11:00 am, Upper Tier Priority next around 11:15 (Pinnacle, Diamond+, Diamond equivalents). And general boarding starts around 11:30.

Head directly to the box office, Deck 7, Forward, Starboard entrance to the theater. On Post #10 on the link below, you will see the show menu. Similar to the show schedule that you get in your room on Royal. Check what you want and they will book it for you. SIX is a must see. Burn the Floor is also good. Comedy shows, like Royal, are in a small comedy club - early shows family oriented, late shows 18+. 

Then head to restaurant reservations. I think that it was in Headliners Comedy Club (Deck 6 mid-ship). To fix your dining reservation or add more. NCL really pushes the specialty dining, more than Royal. You do not need to book Main Dining. NCL embraces Freestyle Cruising, so you show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. Like My Time Dining, but it works a lot smoother since there is no fixed time dining. In the Dailies in the link below, you can see dining hours. 

The Free at See Premium Beverage Package: The package covers the first $15 of any drink (and it is kinda hard to exceed $15 unless you start ordering top shelf liquor. Order two drinks at a time. Everything is covered on board (like Royal, you may pay some sales tax when in US ports). Start at breakfast with a mimosa and progress from there. 

The Spa Thermal Suite is great (puts any Royal thermal suite to shame). Day passes are sold at the discretion of the Spa. Pre-pandemic, if they sold day passes, it was on the slowest of port days and never on a sea day. We never sail without a thermal suite pass. There are photos on the link below on Post #23. 

wrt to the room, the size of the club balcony is exactly the same as the regular balconies. You get a bigger bathroom with a full size shower. You get a few perks including a free bag of laundry. 

wrt to your son, have him signed up with the Entourage teen club and have him go on the first night to make friends. You won't see him again until the end of the cruise. 

NCL embraces Freestyle Cruise. There are no formal nights. Shorts are welcome in all dining rooms for all meals except the Le Bistro and Ocean Blue specialty restaurants where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). If you avoid those two restaurants you can get dressed up or stay dressed down. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your replies-super helpful! One more question…What time are the staterooms generally available? We are very light packers and pack in small carryon roller bags. Heck, after hearing what @BirdTravelssaid about the very casual dining, we might all be able to pack in 1, 😂. My husband is going to be so happy about the wearing of shorts in the main dining rooms. Although it’s allowed on Royal, we still feel like when he attempts it, there seems to be a lot of frowny faces looking in our direction…or maybe Royal cruisers are more uptight? Anyway, I’d love to be able to drop off the luggage asap.

Thank you all for your replies-super helpful! One more question…What time are the staterooms generally available? We are very light packers and pack in small carryon roller bags. Heck, after hearing what @BirdTravelssaid about the very casual dining, we might all be able to pack in 1, 😂. My husband is going to be so happy about the wearing of shorts in the main dining rooms. Although it’s allowed on Royal, we still feel like when he attempts it, there seems to be a lot of frowny faces looking in our direction…or maybe Royal cruisers are more uptight? Anyway, I’d love to be able to drop off the luggage asap.

The only pants I've worn on NCL are lounge pants, basically cotton LL Bean loaf around the house Sunday pants. Otherwise, it's shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirts for days. I'm on vacation - there's no get dressed up for any reason allowed on vacation! I leave the suit and tie for work. In April, my husband and I took two schoolbag style backpacks for a week. Our Sept. cruise was nine days so we did add a small carry-on. We're going back to the two backpacks for our weeklong cruise in March. You can totally do it! Enjoy the relaxed vibe on NCL! 

• Like 1