Military Discount - How is it applied?

Classynfun1

Hi all - 

My long time TA does not book with MSC cruises, so I either have to go directly to MSC or find another agency to do so. I reached out to one TA and they told me that "the current price shown by MSC already includes all military discounts." I am unsure with that response true reading through MSC's website. So my question to those of you that have booked MSC utilizing your military discount - how is it applied?  Will prices shown already show the discount after all? Will I have to get a TA to call in after booking to request it? Is it easier to just book with MSC (and sit through those long wait times)? I'd love any guidance you all can provide here. 

Thank you so much!

When I wanted the military discount about six years ago, my TA had to send a document verifying my military service.  I don't remember if it was a copy of DD214 or retired ID card. I just booked and I think it was a 5% discount.  I am also diamond status so I only get one discount.  I suggest calling MSC direct, maybe the new concierge desk, and ask them what you need to do. Good luck.

The current military discount is 10%.  I initially got a price quote from a TA that was the same amount as shown on the website for a "normal" (non-VC discount & non-military discount) fare.  The TA held the cabin.  Then I submitted my DD214 to MSC and MSC quickly applied the military discount. I then paid the discounted fare through the TA directly to MSC.  You can'r combine the military discount with the VC discount - it's either one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sailed with MSC four times (and went through the process half a dozen more times over the course of COVID moving sailings).  Every time has been a direct booking via the website and every time I've used Military / Civil Service discount.  The method that works for me is:

1.  Find the fare and promo you are happy with and book it direct on the MSC website.  To figure the after-discount cost take 90% of the fare total and add the port charges.

2.  After putting down a deposit and getting your reservation number, send an email to mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com - in this email ask for the discount to be applied and attach a copy of appropriate proof.

3.  Typically within hours, or the next day, a reply will come with an updated booking confirmation showing the discounted total.  It's always been accurate to the penny to the expected total and all promos (free drinks, OBC, etc) are retained.

I've had my share of MSC issues but never regarding adding the discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, ten87 said:

After putting down a deposit and getting your reservation number, send an email to mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com - in this email ask for the discount to be applied and attach a copy of appropriate proof.

Hi, I am waiting on a status match. If I book now and get my VC number afterward, will they apply the discount retroactively?

15 hours ago, Basketball wife said:

Hi, I am waiting on a status match. If I book now and get my VC number afterward, will they apply the discount retroactively?

Which discount are you talking about - VC or military?  You can't get both.  Either way, they should both be able to be applied retroactively as long as final payment hasn't been made.  Just remember, I've only done it once so I'm no expert.

Military Discount has the same restriction as Healthcare Worker Discount -> “Subject to availability”.

MSC reps don’t tell (quote: “Can not tell”) if the discount qualifies for the sailing. They are telling guests to book over the phone or online and submit the required documents after confirmed booking.

That’s a catch-22 because deposits for Yacht Club bookings are non-refundable.

MSC can deny the request for a discount based on reason not disclosed beforehand.

There is no disclaimer during the booking process if the sailing is eligible for Healthcare Worker or Military Discount.

Guests are misled by MSC advertisements .. only to find out that the request for the discount has been denied.

Consumer Laws in the U.S. are strict when it comes to price reductions, rebates and discounts. There is a high possibility that MSC is in violation of U.S. Consumer Laws how they advertise discounts and don’t give the guest the option to abort the booking process or cancel the booking with full refund of the deposit in Yacht Club.

Disclosure: Healthcare Worker Discount has been approved and applied to my sailings in 2021 and 2022 with no problem.

The discount was denied for a sailing in December 2023 -> Reason: “Discount is not on this sailing”. 

They failed to disclose this fact when I called MSC and inquired information about this sailing.

• Thanks 1

A lot of stress in that last reply...not doubting the restrictions but I have yet to run into it myself after four years of navigating MSC policies and customer service.  I've also cancelled two YC trips since the rules changed and cruises restarted and have gotten my deposits returned on both just by politely asking.

It's an added bonus that MSC offers discounts at all - my last YC trip on Seashore for Spring Break was about the same price as our Fall Break trip in an oversized balcony on RCCL.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So, in a nutshell, no discount after final payment (either as a refund or OBC)?

Tom

I do believe that is correct - it usually doesn't hurt to try with other lines, but beware, because with MSC you never know what they could do to screw up your booking any time they access your reservation 😲

Edited by Av8tor

1 hour ago, Av8tor said:

I do believe that is correct - it usually doesn't hurt to try with other lines, but beware, because with MSC you never know what they could do to screw up your booking any time they access your reservation 😲

*yikes*

Given what I've learned thus far, that sounds plausible !

Tom

On 1/17/2023 at 8:01 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So, in a nutshell, no discount after final payment (either as a refund or OBC)?

Tom

That's how it was for me. I had 4 cruises booked when I heard about the military discount. I emailed, and was awarded 10 percent discount immediately on 3 of them. One, that I had paid in full in advance, because I upgraded over the phone, they did not allow me the military 10 percent discount. I was advised that I did get the VC club discount already for that cruise. 

Edited by Jeep Driver
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I already had our balcony booked for the Seaside in late April, paid in full. I called last night to upgrade to a YC balcony. It's still technically a week or two before final payment, but I inquired about the military discount. She told me what/how to send in for the discount, but that I had to go ahead and pay in full (at that time). I asked about the timing and such for when the discount would be applied. She said "a few days" perhaps. She told me that the amount of the discount would be received either as OBC for the sailing, or as a refund. If I opted for the refund, I was told it would not be issued until after the cruise was over. I told her I'd prefer the OBC.

So, I paid in full for the new booking and then submitted all the info (DD214, name, booking #, etc). This morning I received an updated confirmation which now shows the military discount. It also shows a credit on there now too. I'm just not sure if it's going to be OBC or a refund after the fact. I did email back asking for clarification, but have not yet received a response.

BTW - do they keep that info on your profile, or do you need to send it in each time?

THANKS,

Tom

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

For us, have to send in each time.

Same for us. 

An important point for others reading this thread:  it is a military and civil service (including local, state, and federal employees and retirees) discount.  In our case, my DH is a retired fed and I just submitt a copy of his Statement of Annuity Paid from the Office of Personnel Management with everything except his name and address blacked out.

I agree about having to submit every time.  We're onboard right now and decided to extend our cruise for another week.  They had space available, so we booked onboard for the cruise starting tomorrow. Even though they had approved the military discount for this cruise with the DD214 I sent in 2 months ago, they wanted the proof again.  Good thing I had a photo of that 214 on my phone!  Later the future cruise consultant said she could probably get it approved by just using my military ID. YMMV...

12 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I agree about having to submit every time.  We're onboard right now and decided to extend our cruise for another week.  They had space available, so we booked onboard for the cruise starting tomorrow. Even though they had approved the military discount for this cruise with the DD214 I sent in 2 months ago, they wanted the proof again.  Good thing I had a photo of that 214 on my phone!  Later the future cruise consultant said she could probably get it approved by just using my military ID. YMMV...

Have fun with staying on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Just booked a couple sailings next year on the Seashore in a RS. I submitted my info and received a quick reply that it would not apply to my booking since they don't give it on YC3 categories...  😞

Tom

What is everyone's experience with YC bookings. I've heard it may or may not apply. I'm looking at 2 YC1 cabins.

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

What is everyone's experience with YC bookings. I've heard it may or may not apply. I'm looking at 2 YC1 cabins.

Thanks

We’ve received it for a YC1 cabin on both our bookings (back in Jan 2020 and upcoming in Dec 2023).  

Edited by capriccio

55 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We’ve received it for a YC1 cabin on both our bookings (back in Jan 2020 and upcoming in Dec 2023).  

Thanks. I have two balconies booked right now that our TA (through USAA) is having a hard time verifying the discount on. I sent the verification off to MSC, and got the email back saying it was applied, but we've seen no drop in price. I want to upgrade these to YC1.