First timer Cunard Questions

Jerry987654321

Been on many different cruise lines, but first time on Cunard.  Booked QA in Queens Grill Q3 cabin.  I have read you get the same grill restaurant table every day, wondering how you get a table assignment to get a two top (res. agent said she put a 2 top "on request" in our booking, and do you get any input into what table you are "assigned"?  Also, the cabin said we have 2 included specialty restaurants and wanted to know how to reserve a day/time for those. And lastly, we know it is more formal dress than some, but how would you describe evening dress in the grill and around the ship on a Norway cruise out of London?  Any advice for this newbie would be welcome, if there are any other tips you experienced Cunard cruisers have learned.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry987654321 said:

Been on many different cruise lines, but first time on Cunard.  Booked QA in Queens Grill Q3 cabin.  I have read you get the same grill restaurant table every day, wondering how you get a table assignment to get a two top (res. agent said she put a 2 top "on request" in our booking, and do you get any input into what table you are "assigned"?  Also, the cabin said we have 2 included specialty restaurants and wanted to know how to reserve a day/time for those. And lastly, we know it is more formal dress than some, but how would you describe evening dress in the grill and around the ship on a Norway cruise out of London?  Any advice for this newbie would be welcome, if there are any other tips you experienced Cunard cruisers have learned.  Thank you in advance.

WOW....what a common question on this booking day......

First I would like to Welcome to Cunard as a Cunarder.

My experience is unfortunately on the QM2 but in the Grills they should be the same procedure. We to request a table for 2 at booking and fortunately are alway placed at a Table for 2 without any difficulty. In the Grills the table is assigned for your entire sailing for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Location of the table should be indicated on a card found in your cabin at embarkation. If you have a question about the location of the table, you can talk to the M'd at your first dinner seating. You can also question it if you attend your lunch on embarkation around 1PM. They may help you with your request. M'd's wish to make your experience while sailing a memorable trip.

There are two style speciality restaurants. On the QM2, not sure on your ship, Evening Speciality serving in the Kings Court and Verandah Restaurant which is a steak type house if the same. There should be a phone number that will direct you to call to secure your needs.

Dress on board depends the number of days you are sailing. On a TA 7 days there is typical 2 Gala Theme evenings. Otherwise the alternate dress is know as Smart Attire.

If you look at your Your Voyager Personalizer with your Booking Number under My Calendar, each day should give you an idea of the Dress Code for each day. 

I know others may have additional suggestions.

Welcome "Newbie" Cunarder and future Bon Voyage!

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

In November on QV, there wasn't table assignment cards in the room. You just had to turn up and find what the Maitre d' had allocated.

Q1's get the best tables at the front, followed by Q2, then Q3 etc..

Most men still opt for jackets every night, but on a non  Gala night it's optional.

Happy cruising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

In November on QV, there wasn't table assignment cards in the room. You just had to turn up and find what the Maitre d' had allocated.

Q1's get the best tables at the front, followed by Q2, then Q3 etc..

Most men still opt for jackets every night, but on a non  Gala night it's optional.

Happy cruising.

We didn't have a notifying card either this August, but were very happy with our table position.

There seem to be quite a few two tops on the QA deck plan, the window having thirteen but as we know, layouts are for display purposes only and are always subject to change, depending on passenger requirements. It's easy to see which tables on are designated ''best'' on QV/E as soon as you walk in the restaurant. Hopefully, the ''best'' ones on QA will be away from  immediate passenger footfall.

13 hours ago, Jerry987654321 said:

You'll have a table for 2 - especially as you are Q3.

I reserved the Verandah before the voyage (can do in your account) as thought it may be busy but only seemed about half full; worth it for one evening. $40 a head for the standard menu (there are extras)

Dress: two evenings suits/DJs in a 7 night cruise (we are quire probably on the same one as you, though we've dropped to PG). Others, just a shirt with collar, no jeans effectively, which can just be a polo shirt and chinos (though when I did this I wore a jacket). They relaxed the rules last summer

We asked regular Cunarders this very question about table selection.

The best advice we got was to get to the dining room early and give the Maître d’ a hefty tip.

Having a specific table might be nice but the people on the next table might not be to your taste!

Edited by swjumbo

18 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

We asked regular Cunarders this very question about table selection.

The best advice we got was to get to the dining room early and give the Maître d’ a hefty tip.

Having a specific table might be nice but the people on the next table might not be to your taste!

Some people might construe that to be a bribe rather than a tip.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Some people might construe that to be a bribe rather than a tip.

I 100% agree and would dearly hope the M'ds are professional enough to ignore such a blatant attempt to influence.

As an aside, we  witnessed an almost tantrum last August when a passenger  didn't get  a window seat.  Really amusing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I 100% agree and would dearly hope the M'ds are professional enough to ignore such a blatant attempt to influence.

As an aside, we  witnessed an almost tantrum last August when a passenger  didn't get  a window seat.  Really amusing.

We have not had a window table and don't really see the need. As you know, the tables shall we say make dining somewhat cosy and therefore a view can be had from the majority anyway. Most of the time i am too busy enjoying the lovely food rather than gazing out of the window as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I always got the type of table and the location in the past without any influence with the M'd. No brides are necessary. Of course if they served us with extra professionalism we would thank them at the end of the sailing and no time at the beginning or middle. They have always been what we expected them to be.

We never saw an incident as you descripted ever. Yes, it should be embarrassing to the passenger that will continue in the presence of the others during the sailing. Except for yelling and laughing during a birthday or special event, we have alway enjoyed the atmosphere in the dining rooms on board. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

We have not had a window table and don't really see the need. As you know, the tables shall we say make dining somewhat cosy and therefore a view can be had from the majority anyway. Most of the time i am too busy enjoying the lovely food rather than gazing out of the window as well.

A window can add to the dining experiencing like a sunset or passing a lite island but I agree the Main Entertainment of the Evening is the Cuisine being presented. 

Granted on some ships like the QM2 and the last time we were on her, we had a window. And if the Promenade Deck is outside, you will at each meal have walkers, joggers, etc.... But they are respectful and do not look in and disturb your meal. You really don't want to ask to lower the shade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Well you know what? 
Whatever you call it, it worked and we had a lovely time in the dining room!

I'm sure you would have had a lovely time even without having a window table. I know many people do like  a window table however.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Well you know what? 
Whatever you call it, it worked and we had a lovely time in the dining room!

I like to think a bribe [as you seem to be inferring that is what was given] would have no bearing whatsoever on the given or exchanged table position and to imply otherwise is highly speculative and unfair.

• Like 1

Our initial table was too close to people we had absolutely nothing in common with.

Be prepared, first time Queens Grill patrons, that a sweetener, bribe, tip, whatever you want to call it might just make your cruise more palatable!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swjumbo said:

Our initial table was too close to people we had absolutely nothing in common with.

Be prepared, first time Queens Grill patrons, that a sweetener, bribe, tip, whatever you want to call it might just make your cruise more palatable!

Or the change would have been affected anyway without the bribe if a table was available

On one cruise, our selves and another couple had had enough of our table companions by the second evening and we both moved onto tables for two. The tables were available and no bribe was required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Or perhaps a polite but insistent request would do it. Lots of people move tables on the first day for all sorts of reasons. I doubt many feel bribery necessary to achieve this.

• Like 1

On two occasions we've had a different table at dinner in the Grills than we had at lunchtime. The first time we had a phone call from the Maitre D' before dinner asking if we didn't mind moving and the second time our table kept the same number but moved across the room!

Both times we were moved to a window so we were happy. 

• Like 2

To be completely honest, I think if you tip early you get outstanding service as it raises expectations by both customers and the waiting staff.  They are as eager to please as you are exited with expectation.

I think bribery is the wrong term and I do understand the gesture of swjumbo. 

It’s a very positive start and I personally don’t like negative, awkward confrontation.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, beeflyingfree said:

To be completely honest, I think if you tip early you get outstanding service as it raises expectations by both customers and the waiting staff.  They are as eager to please as you are exited with expectation.

I think bribery is the wrong term and I do understand the gesture of swjumbo. 

It’s a very positive start and I personally don’t like negative, awkward confrontation.

I have no idea what negative, awkward confrontations you refer to but  with hundreds of nights in QG under our belts,  I think it insulting to the staff to suggest a bribe will raise service levels.

The staff are eager to please and will almost fall over themselves to help in any way and to reward service after the event is of course up to an individual should they wish to show appreciation.

Of course there will be occasional anomalies in levels of service  but to bribe beforehand is almost saying ''I don't think your regular service will be good enough'' which in my book is demeaning.

• Like 5

And even worse in a way is seeming to say that you’ve got lots of dosh so you expect to be treated better than your fellow passengers. Actually this applies at all levels. I would not expect a passenger in a Q1 to be treated with greater courtesy and helpfulness than those in an inside cabin, and I don’t think they are.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I can only talk about QV and QE as i have not sailed in the grills on QM2, all the tables are, shall we say cosy/close what if your window table had been close to people you had nothing in common with, would you then, after given a sweetener for the window table ask to be moved to another table.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

And even worse in a way is seeming to say that you’ve got lots of dosh so you expect to be treated better than your fellow passengers. Actually this applies at all levels. I would not expect a passenger in a Q1 to be treated with greater courtesy and helpfulness than those in an inside cabin, and I don’t think they are.

I totally agree but if was in a Q1 and found out that i had lost my table to someone who had given a hefty or even a small tip/bribe then i would certainly be a bit miffed and would definitely let my displeasure be known to the hotel manager.

Edited by seasickphil
  • Like 1