Trans Atlantic Cruises

mcrcruiser

We will see the future Cruise sales  while on Koningsdam  ,to see if they then have the spring  2024 trans Atlantic   cruises   . We want the one that ends in Barcelona Spain so we can get more time  in  Barcelona & perhaps a part of France   .We have cruised into Barcelona twice but just a port stop . Spain has very reasonable prices     for many things & the dollar is better now against the Euro . . Just hope it stays that way 

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

We will see the future Cruise sales  while on Koningsdam  ,to see if they then have the spring  2024 trans Atlantic   cruises   . We want the one that ends in Barcelona Spain so we can get more time  in  Barcelona & perhaps a part of France 

We started a RCI transAtlantic in Barcelona. We spent 3-4 days in BCN visiting Montserrat with a meal at a winery, and self-walking to Christmas markets, etc. Xmas markets won't be there in the spring, but I would start or end a cruise in Barcelona any time!

7 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We started a RCI transAtlantic in Barcelona. We spent 3-4 days in BCN visiting Montserrat with a meal at a winery, and self-walking to Christmas markets, etc. Xmas markets won't be there in the spring, but I would start or end a cruise in Barcelona any time!

Crystal  yes  indeed ,so much to see  ,then the Tapas &  the dancers  . A very interesting city  .Might rent a car   to get to Madrid  or train  .We have time share  trade  possibilities   & or use our Hilton honors & Marriott   points   .Lots of flexibility  

Just hope that HAL keeps  going  ..Keeping fingers crrossed .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Barcelona is one of our favorite cities. We added five days to the last Atlantic cruise we took that ended there.  Might be a great place to start an Atlantic cruise too! 

Either   way   ca;;t go wrong  .Can get into France as well with a car or tour 

A new high-speed train service between Barcelona and Madrid is starting this month. It is by Trenitalia and is branded "Iryo." Brand new equipment that is very similar to their Frecciarossa 1000 trains in Italy. We rode the Intercontinental-service recently on their Frecciarossa 1000 train from Milan to Lyon, France (that continues to Paris) and I do recommend it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

A new high-speed train service between Barcelona and Madrid is starting this month. It is by Trenitalia and is branded "Iryo." Brand new equipment that is very similar to their Frecciarossa 1000 trains in Italy. We rode the Intercontinental-service recently on their Frecciarossa 1000 train from Milan to Lyon, France (that continues to Paris) and I do recommend it.

That is great  because we do want to see Madrid  when we get to  Barcelona  on a spring TA  hopefully a HAL ship like Nieu Sratendam which is doing it 2023 .We want 2024 Spring    .Have lots of Hotel points with Hilton & Marriott we can use as well as time share swaps ,so the  housing is easy  to arrange  in all areas . I think a week in each city is adequate ,We also like to spend a bit of time in France  while we are there  .so a total of about 3  weeks on land trips .would need to do research for HOHO buses , Viator.com tours are always pretty good quality tours  for land trips that picj up from hotels  . 

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We flew into Madrid and did the high speed train to Barcelona to begin a cruise in 2015. Nice and went by fast. My vote is train (or fly) from Madrid to Porto, then down to Lisbon. Save France for a bigger trip to explore the different regions which will take longer. 

Think we have a solution  .If like 2023 Nieu Statendam   does the TA  in April to Barcelona ,then stay on the ship to Rome & do a 3rd leg  back to Barcelona .in other words B2B2B cruises & wind up in Barcelona in May which is better weather  & do  tours in Barcelona  , Viator has a 3 country tour from  Barcelona as well . Seems to me that prices for hotels  ,food ie are much   less expensive in this area of Europe than say  Italy   or Paris   .We could easily spend up to 10 days just in this area & then fly back from BCN yo LAX non stop  business class  .

On Barcelona we can use the HOHO bus & limo services  to get around better  with my electric scooter 

Any comments from those who have in depth knowledge of Barcelona   getting around with a electric scooter  ?  Can we load it on the HOHO bus or do we need a limo service  etc  ?

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Any comments from those who have in depth knowledge of Barcelona   getting around with a electric scooter  ?  Can we load it on the HOHO bus or do we need a limo service  etc  ?

We used "Barcelona Bus Turistic" during our two days last month in Barcelona. I doubt that those buses could accomodate an electric scooter. I believe a wheelchair user could ride on the lower level though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

We used "Barcelona Bus Turistic" during our two days last month in Barcelona. I doubt that those buses could accomodate an electric scooter. I believe a wheelchair user could ride on the lower level though.

My question is can the bus carry the scooter  not just me .Or in other words  I need the scooter on the vehicle .If not we will  get a limo  

23 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

My question is can the bus carry the scooter  not just me .Or in other words  I need the scooter on the vehicle .If not we will  get a limo  

From the Barcelona Tourist website:

The entire Barcelona Bus Turístic fleet is adapted for people with reduced mobility. However, as specified in the informative leaflets, they can only access the lower deck.

I am not certain that the scooter could be steered with the person seated into the storage/seated position on the bus. A wheelchair is not as long as a scooter and is more maneuverable. I would count on using a car service. 

• Like 1