Which locks does the Pride use for transit in Panama Canal?

zwallace

The Old Locks. She's a Panamax. Perfect fit. You'll hear swearing from the bridge in both Italian AND Spanish when they brush the lock wall! Yes, it's THAT tight; maybe 6 inches on each side. Then the next day in Port you'll see the paint guys touching up the hull.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jsglow said:

The Old Locks. She's a Panamax. Perfect fit. You'll hear swearing from the bridge in both Italian AND Spanish when they brush the lock wall! Yes, it's THAT tight; maybe 6 inches on each side. Then the next day in Port you'll see the paint guys touching up the hull.

Enjoy!

jsglow thanks! I can't wait to see it!

• Like 1

One of the things that's super cool is watching old salty Canal workers wave and take pics. They deal w/ thousands of merchant vessels. A Panamax cruise ship is still a big deal to them.

Enjoy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Enjoy!

Actually there's a couple of feet on each side, so tons of space.  😁  But definitely close enough to reach out and touch the side of the canal if you were so inclined.  And yeah, on our Panama Canal cruise we thumped the wall pretty good one time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

erkOb0fe7_Db03qTgkocB7Nla52qhvwRx7juBCZs

Deck 3 aft on the Legend.  Only crew were allowed on this deck during the transit.  They had cables tied off all along deck 3.  

6UWNNKshL2ut9XB_-ufDi0ElmQoYCEOdsl_O9dXsnMJUXQ0w3c5i6LVR6HjkehlzycudWHbDs4R5T7xfGO-LxLjNuwf6XvaqPsFcjxHfvmUGDqr4Dp-X4vM0334IO9By_RcDMrAQjx1PLnyUZmNnSLzzV5eQ2lltoRtA9zTBFDFM23kscEIIzARKTpDmOlPN-WH4Jo1pGd-TImt1vE_MVMPgkx6OnF0GbubfaenrqdW0Gj7dO97BngYj4e3XX0UPtzPAfLFl5knfaBgw16nsP4x_4mQEs7PIKFavGvMhm9FmRQ_YcG96OwQpCyHAYxqaIv6e4WOPI8hoc89k2_fulD10vIHJhPZALcvN4DozekIWIrthwyuhTGuLzL_4gAS8k7g_JI2SrJocM9e5Ck1ZF7hgnuJGapbC2p9iDWD2Gyu4tw8ZoI3pqL8foH0UPEXFr6jCKJ4JXRLSiOtl9R5pVPamNpu8u-fzRdzfp2IBbAzWQUKWW7T99pYVw8qFIjEElUe2nSb3tBBVU9FSP3YfnZ_Klodfl2Uq3ZraBDRVEPqk18HkF_hCZyAMuNaH10myRnyQ2HB6i4B0Ee5jokY1CmLIroFV6TdmWE4H0Uv_6_oQdMv_7zzjTcQST5QhjV7OyLRiryYE-Jf-af325_yUUNXZACCsmFTOgtpJSMSMPJ-gsiOj5Jve1MlB5VDFBqwU_cjohkferbYI1BoCjGGW9fxyhSlUjYhf6TArEJfpdhi3u1U-EBDwQ3nwk69M2zYc-AQvwDT14-Al3oLhZLJfzaUvxdIdIKWbAq78cGjj-tGbr4tIz4ezSLTGyMIsdUyS16LZn4Rsj0Ly6-J3dD6NmwsfyHLJjeT0DMLxm1pD-KLUhM-dyegwfoBVWHwtum0XBX9LjnyJzTRBZfSZE4N2lG9WdwQMWKf7-UP8N6glkrnu3pFB4vNtf2s6EOJxI8foE7RAT8rQXuoI96jND0RV2SM=w681-h907-no?authuser=0

The view from our deck 4 aft wrap balcony.  We've done the transit a couple of times and it never gets old!  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

erkOb0fe7_Db03qTgkocB7Nla52qhvwRx7juBCZs

Deck 3 aft on the Legend.  Only crew were allowed on this deck during the transit.  They had cables tied off all along deck 3.  

6UWNNKshL2ut9XB_-ufDi0ElmQoYCEOdsl_O9dXsnMJUXQ0w3c5i6LVR6HjkehlzycudWHbDs4R5T7xfGO-LxLjNuwf6XvaqPsFcjxHfvmUGDqr4Dp-X4vM0334IO9By_RcDMrAQjx1PLnyUZmNnSLzzV5eQ2lltoRtA9zTBFDFM23kscEIIzARKTpDmOlPN-WH4Jo1pGd-TImt1vE_MVMPgkx6OnF0GbubfaenrqdW0Gj7dO97BngYj4e3XX0UPtzPAfLFl5knfaBgw16nsP4x_4mQEs7PIKFavGvMhm9FmRQ_YcG96OwQpCyHAYxqaIv6e4WOPI8hoc89k2_fulD10vIHJhPZALcvN4DozekIWIrthwyuhTGuLzL_4gAS8k7g_JI2SrJocM9e5Ck1ZF7hgnuJGapbC2p9iDWD2Gyu4tw8ZoI3pqL8foH0UPEXFr6jCKJ4JXRLSiOtl9R5pVPamNpu8u-fzRdzfp2IBbAzWQUKWW7T99pYVw8qFIjEElUe2nSb3tBBVU9FSP3YfnZ_Klodfl2Uq3ZraBDRVEPqk18HkF_hCZyAMuNaH10myRnyQ2HB6i4B0Ee5jokY1CmLIroFV6TdmWE4H0Uv_6_oQdMv_7zzjTcQST5QhjV7OyLRiryYE-Jf-af325_yUUNXZACCsmFTOgtpJSMSMPJ-gsiOj5Jve1MlB5VDFBqwU_cjohkferbYI1BoCjGGW9fxyhSlUjYhf6TArEJfpdhi3u1U-EBDwQ3nwk69M2zYc-AQvwDT14-Al3oLhZLJfzaUvxdIdIKWbAq78cGjj-tGbr4tIz4ezSLTGyMIsdUyS16LZn4Rsj0Ly6-J3dD6NmwsfyHLJjeT0DMLxm1pD-KLUhM-dyegwfoBVWHwtum0XBX9LjnyJzTRBZfSZE4N2lG9WdwQMWKf7-UP8N6glkrnu3pFB4vNtf2s6EOJxI8foE7RAT8rQXuoI96jND0RV2SM=w681-h907-no?authuser=0

The view from our deck 4 aft wrap balcony.  We've done the transit a couple of times and it never gets old!  

Couldn’t see your pictures, but we did the partial transit on Miracle a couple of years ago. Favorite cruise ever! We were on deck 4 back. Looking down at the crew watching from deck 3 was so neat, they were as excited as we were!  I’d still love to do it again!

3 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

Couldn’t see your pictures, but we did the partial transit on Miracle a couple of years ago. Favorite cruise ever! We were on deck 4 back. Looking down at the crew watching from deck 3 was so neat, they were as excited as we were!  I’d still love to do it again!

Lol, did I mess up on the pics?  Sometimes tech messes with me. 🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Lol, did I mess up on the pics?  Sometimes tech messes with me. 🙃

I finally realized I had to click on the picture to get to your review! Great pictures of going thru the canal. On the one we did, there was a lady on board who talked thru the whole thing and it was broadcast thru the room tv so we could hear her and watch off the balcony!  In your first picture above is the Orange Shop in Citra! I’m 76 years old and we used to take rides on Sundays and sometimes we’d go there from Jacksonville!  Now any time we go over to Ocala or Tampa we pass it. Brings back a lot of memories!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JFletcher32 said:

Awesome!! I will be on the January 21st sailing on the Pride and am most excited about this part of the cruise. Ive visited the Panama Canal on other cruises, but never a partial transit. Super excited!!

Will be on the transit with you all on the 21st also, second time doing this cruise, done it 

Jan 2022, a year ago. Nice cruise.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We have want to do a transit through the old locks and this ship seems to be the only one that does the partial transit with the  old locks now from Florida. We have sailed Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America. We are not big party people and like the retreat areas - asking for advice would this ship work for us?  

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

We are not big party people and like the retreat areas - asking for advice would this ship work for us?  

Heck yes, there's plenty of spots to relax on the Spirit Class ships.  I really don't understand why everyone has the impression that Carnival ships are nothing but a huge frat party.  Yeah, they have parties around the Lido pool a couple of time during the cruise, but if that's not your thing their easy to avoid.