Trying to figure out what stops need a shore excursion.

Stockjock

6 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

If you book a private tour it is possible 

Can probably find a lot of information on Trip Advisor.  I use them for almost all private tours that I book, they generally have very informative feedback from folks that have used the various vendors.

There is no substitution for in-depth research when traveling.  I believe the OP is a researcher, thus knowing what he wants in terms of tours.  Cruise Critic also talks about specific tours at certain ports in their port  section.   Remember that tours do not always turn out the way you specifically want them to unless you go private and design your own.  If you just want a glimpse of certain things, do not mind waiting for others, or large groups, you most likely will be happy on almost any tour.  I have met numerous people who will only do Celebrity tours, as they are afraid other tours will cause them to miss he ship. However, seeing cruisers run to make the ship before embarkation might appear to be humorous, it is not that way if you are the one running!  I guess I believe in living a little more dangerously and booking my own private tours.  It is all up to one's level of comfort and pocket book, not to mention opportunity cost.  No one can guarantee that you will thoroughly enjoy your excursion, but it is certainly nice when that happens.  

One thing that I have learned with different tours is that even if offered through TripAdvisor/Viator, you can get the same tour much cheaper contacting the vendor yourself; it just takes a little work and a few emails!

Also, FWIW, I did cancel the winery tour and went with a Best of Ephesus tour that included a lunch stop at a 5 star hotel.  Not sure we feel the same about ruins as everyone else, but clearly a visit to Ephesus is more of a unique experience versus a trip to a winery.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Also, FWIW, I did cancel the winery tour and went with a Best of Ephesus tour that included a lunch stop at a 5 star hotel.  Not sure we feel the same about ruins as everyone else, but clearly a visit to Ephesus is more of a unique experience versus a trip to a winery.

Good for you!!  Does your tour include the Terrace Houses?

It is a truly unique experience...of all the ruins we've visited (and we've seen quite a few and in many countries), Ephesus was the best. 

Bon Voyage!!

47 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Good for you!!  Does your tour include the Terrace Houses?

It is a truly unique experience...of all the ruins we've visited (and we've seen quite a few and in many countries), Ephesus was the best. 

Bon Voyage!!

I thought it did, but now that I look, I don't see that mentioned...

Your adventure begins with a drive through the Turkish countryside to the House of Virgin Mary, where the mother of Jesus is reputed to have spent the last years of her life. Then it's off to ancient Ephesus. Pass the Magnesia gate and enter the administrative section, one of the most magnificent excavations in the world. You'll see the Odeon, the Fountain of Trajan, the steam baths of Scholastika, temple of Hadrian and the Library of Celcius. Next you'll see the Grand Theater, where St. Paul preached. It's one of the largest theaters in antiquity with 24,000 seats. Your final destination in Ephesus along the Arcadian way, where Mark Antony and Cleopatra once rode in triumphant procession. You'll proceed to what remains of St. John's Basilica, followed by a lunch at a five star hotel. After lunch, your bus will take you back to Kusadasi where there will be a refreshment stop with a brief carpet weaving presentation. Or, if you wish, you may return directly to the ship which is within walking distance. Time permitting on the return to downtown a stop at a leather outlet for a fashion show may be included. 

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I thought it did, but now that I look, I don't see that mentioned...

Your adventure begins with a drive through the Turkish countryside to the House of Virgin Mary, where the mother of Jesus is reputed to have spent the last years of her life. Then it's off to ancient Ephesus. Pass the Magnesia gate and enter the administrative section, one of the most magnificent excavations in the world. You'll see the Odeon, the Fountain of Trajan, the steam baths of Scholastika, temple of Hadrian and the Library of Celcius. Next you'll see the Grand Theater, where St. Paul preached. It's one of the largest theaters in antiquity with 24,000 seats. Your final destination in Ephesus along the Arcadian way, where Mark Antony and Cleopatra once rode in triumphant procession. You'll proceed to what remains of St. John's Basilica, followed by a lunch at a five star hotel. After lunch, your bus will take you back to Kusadasi where there will be a refreshment stop with a brief carpet weaving presentation. Or, if you wish, you may return directly to the ship which is within walking distance. Time permitting on the return to downtown a stop at a leather outlet for a fashion show may be included. 

Maybe I should book something that includes Terrace Houses?

26 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Maybe I should book something that includes Terrace Houses?

The Terrace Houses are the most recently discovered ruins in Ephesus and they are *very* well-preserved. They were the rich folks houses. You walk by them during the regular tour...it has it's own entrance...

I can recommend ekoltravel dot com for that. They will do the private tour (just the two of us on ours) and include the Terrace Houses if you want. A driver, a guide, and a nice vehicle and you can skip the rug thing. You pick the time you want them to meet you at the ship. And when you would like to return. 

I imagine they would also add on anywhere else you would like to visit in Kusadasi...

Someone reco'ed them to me (and a few others chimed in) right here on CC...I also used them for Istanbul...same great service...

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, Stockjock said:

We are mobile and I'm 60, GF is 58.  While we'll see the Acropolis in Athens, we are not ruins or museum types, for the most part.  We were joking today that ruins are ruined, and we prefer to see things that are not ruined.  So as an example, in Kusadasi, I doubt we will do Ephesus, which is where most seem to end up.  Don't really care for the carpet and leather "demonstrations" either, which are basically a hustle to sell you their products.

yes I agree with you. I did enjoy Pompeii though, but I have heard that Athen is so full of a lot of ruins than after a while it gets boring.  I mean a ruin is a ruin and I quick look and I am done.

speaking of Dubrovnik, I just cancelled my NCL trip was they are not going there.  I have heard som many folks say that this is a do not miss port. Look for a comprehensive tour that would give you a lot of things with a nice guide.  

Listen folks, if you plan on going to Ephesus only consider a tour/excursion that specifically includes the Terrace Houses.  Many cruise ship excursions do not include the Terrace Houses so be sure before you book.  Why do they skip the Terrace Houses?  This part of the ruins has an extra admission fee, involves walking up/down steps, and prohibits tour guides!  The latter is because they do not want tour guides holding up the flow of traffic and shouting over each other.  The Terrace Houses involve steps and metal walkways that are ideal for individual travelers and not so good for those who want to be part of a group of 30. 

For fans of large cruise ship excursions, I would only submit that there are just many things that cannot be reasonably done by large groups.  My advice for most places is plan on a very small group tour or Do It Yourself (DIY).

Hank

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Listen folks, if you plan on going to Ephesus only consider a tour/excursion that specifically includes the Terrace Houses.  Many cruise ship excursions do not include the Terrace Houses so be sure before you book.  Why do they skip the Terrace Houses?  This part of the ruins has an extra admission fee, involves walking up/down steps, and prohibits tour guides!  The latter is because they do not want tour guides holding up the flow of traffic and shouting over each other.  The Terrace Houses involve steps and metal walkways that are ideal for individual travelers and not so good for those who want to be part of a group of 30. 

For fans of large cruise ship excursions, I would only submit that there are just many things that cannot be reasonably done by large groups.  My advice for most places is plan on a very small group tour or Do It Yourself (DIY).

Hank

Agree (of course, see my previous posts here) with everything you said.

Our guide was allowed to give the tour (just two of us...) in there. Perhaps because it was just us and not a group??  This was last June...and, yes, I saw no large groups at all. And it was indeed quiet and not at all congested.  

In my opinion you do not need an excursion for Santorini or Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik might be desirable for convenience but it’s very doable on one’s own. Santorini is walkable in the main area, and there’s plenty to see on foot for the first-time visitor.

Ephesus you do really need one, not necessarily through the ship.It was a decade ago, but Ephesus Shuttle was fantastic and no carpet demos or unintended shopping stops-it was offered but there was zero pushback when we declined. And as others have said, do the Terrace Houses.

Athens can be done on its own but is probably easier on an excursion, especially if you don’t want to take the janky subway and you want to see the ancient sites properly. Haven’t been to the rest. 

Edited by Shep_Proudfoot