B2B question

Flojoe8

Hi there. We are booked on Quantum of the seas 28/12 and doing a B2B. Unfortunately not in the same cabin but only about 6 cabins away. Has anyone recently done a b2b. We have cruised many many times but this will be our first b2b ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ and have read so many varying/conflicting ย things about what actually happens on ย disembarkation day of first cruise. Has anyone done this recently that can advise. (ieโ€ฆ do you need to completely pack and disembark and get back on or /pack roughly leave clothes in hangers etc and room steward will take to new room etc. ย Thanks in advance. (Rat test to be done day before back in port?) etcย 
Fiona

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

What happens on a b2b turnaround day depends on your combination of itineraries ie,

domestic b2b domestic

domestic b2b international

international b2b domestic

international b2b international

ย 

So my best guess is that you are international to domestic, which means you would normally be required to leave the ship with all of your luggage, "arrive" into Australia through immigration with your contraband/duty free declarations, then reboard the ship at the front of the queue as a transit passenger.

ย 

Reason being that at the end of your 2nd cruise, even though they will police duty free limits, you are not arriving through immigration.

ย 

Domestic b2b domestic usually allows for you and your belongings to stay aboard. You might get lucky, but likely you will have to pack/disembark/embark/unpack. Have a chat to your steward when you board, and he/she might be able to assist in making it easier.

We will be on a b2b also; a 5 days cruise follows by a 22 days, same cabin.

ย We will embark in Sydney, 5 days later, first cruise finish in Auckland.ย  Then from Auckland, 22 days to Los Angeles.

ย 

So which of the 4 above we fall into?ย  Need to pack our luggage to get off ship and go through immigration in Auckland?

ย 

Thank you.

ย 

41 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

We will be on a b2b also; a 5 days cruise follows by a 22 days, same cabin.

ย We will embark in Sydney, 5 days later, first cruise finish in Auckland.ย  Then from Auckland, 22 days to Los Angeles.

ย 

So which of the 4 above we fall into?ย  Need to pack our luggage to get off ship and go through immigration in Auckland?

ย 

Thank you.

ย 

Good question. I am not up on New Zealand processes. They may treat you as an a genuine in transit passenger that isn't staying in Auckland, but I can't be sure of that.

ย 

Is that cruise also available as a 27-night Sydney to LA?

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

What happens on a b2b turnaround day depends on your combination of itineraries ie,

domestic b2b domestic

ย 

So my best guess is that you are international to domestic, which means you would normally be required to leave the ship with all of your luggage, "arrive" into Australia through immigration with your contraband/duty free declarations, then reboard the ship at the front of the queue as a transit passenger.

ย 

Reason being that at the end of your 2nd cruise, even though they will police duty free limits, you are not arriving through immigration.

ย 

Domestic b2b domestic usually allows for you and your belongings to stay aboard. You might get lucky, but likely you will have to pack/disembark/embark/unpack. Have a chat to your steward when you board, and he/she might be able to assist in making it easier.

Fantastic info!ย 

ย 

We are in a similar position: boarding ship in Auckland, 6 ports there, then sailing to Hobart as first Australian port, then Melbourne and then Sydney which is the last port in Australia and onto the South Pacific, Hawaii and Canada ultimately.ย  It is booked as one cruise for us but some pax will be disembarking in Sydney.

ย 

Could you explain what should happen in Australia for us.ย  Thanks!ย 

Currently on Ovation doing B2B2B. First leg after NZ, completely packed up, bags out last night and left ship, and boarded first for next domestic cruise. We were in same cabin and bags waiting. Nice lunch for B2B cruises too! Royal made it as easy as possible.

Next leg going from Domestic to ย international, we understand that we just do the normal B2B.we are moving next door, so we understand that just do a small pack up and they will move our things. Havenโ€™t officially been told yet as consecutive cruise information will be given out today. Also a RAT 24 hours before in the medical centre. If not negative , off you go! About to run out of internet, but if any questions I will check later once in Hobart.

6 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Fantastic info!ย 

ย 

We are in a similar position: boarding ship in Auckland, 6 ports there, then sailing to Hobart as first Australian port, then Melbourne and then Sydney which is the last port in Australia and onto the South Pacific, Hawaii and Canada ultimately.ย  It is booked as one cruise for us but some pax will be disembarking in Sydney.

ย 

Could you explain what should happen in Australia for us.ย  Thanks!ย 

You will be required to leave the ship for a โ€œ zero passenger countโ€ ย to be achieved ย and free to return once embarkation is started or whenever you like depending on your plans for the day, shore excursion etc.. Your luggage will stay on board . What ship will you be on?

4 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

You will be required to leave the ship for a โ€œ zero passenger countโ€ ย to be achieved ย and free to return once embarkation is started or whenever you like depending on your plans for the day, shore excursion etc.. Your luggage will stay on board . What ship will you be on?

Thanks!ย  One further question: where will your scenario happen?ย  Hobart, our first port in Australia)?

Noordam in early April.ย  Glad to be back to a few ports in Australia!

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks!ย  One further question: where will your scenario happen?ย  Hobart, our first port in Australia)?

Noordam in early April.ย  Glad to be back to a few ports in Australia!

As far as I am aware, the entry screening happens in Hobart.

ย 

For cruises where luggage needs to come off, that part is done at the turnaround port (Sydney).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Good question. I am not up on New Zealand processes. They may treat you as an a genuine in transit passenger that isn't staying in Auckland, but I can't be sure of that.

ย 

Is that cruise also available as a 27-night Sydney to LA?

Yes, it is also available as 27-night Sydney to L.A.ย  We originally booked it as 27-night, then Princess had a promotion for the 5-night and 22 nights, so we cancelled our 27-night and rebook it as two separate cruises.

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

domestic b2b domestic

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย Thanks for such a great detailed reply. Our first cruise is South Pacific then next is Qld coast.- cairns etc ย (Quantum- so out of Brisbane)ย 

if we were to get duty free on first part of cruise, I assume if taken on we would have to hand over and get back on last night, so could get more on the 2nd cruise as well? Not that we would as we need to fly home (Tas) so wouldnโ€™t want to be carrying all that but was just a thought ๐Ÿ’ญย 

Anyway ย thanks again. Everyone on here are great.ย 
๐Ÿ˜ƒ

3 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

ย Thanks for such a great detailed reply. Our first cruise is South Pacific then next is Qld coast.- cairns etc ย (Quantum- so out of Brisbane)ย 

if we were to get duty free on first part of cruise, I assume if taken on we would have to hand over and get back on last night, so could get more on the 2nd cruise as well? Not that we would as we need to fly home (Tas) so wouldnโ€™t want to be carrying all that but was just a thought ๐Ÿ’ญย 

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I agree, everyone has been great, very helpful, with lots of ideas and good advice. It is very much appreciated! You guys rock :)

8 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Even though you are not intending to, your ย second cruise is โ€œdomesticโ€ so you cannot buy duty free on it .I assume the ship will release your duty free purchase at the end of the first cruise and you can take it off at the end of the second ( there will be no ABF for the second โ€œdomesticโ€ ) ย 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Duty free is available on Qld coastal cruises that go out past Willis Island. Even though there is no immigration for an "arrival" back into Australia, they still have arrival cards to comply with duty free limits and ABF staff to check/collect the cards.

ย 

The general gist is that you get duty free on the first cruise. If you were able to take it home or leave it with a friend, you could double-up on the next cruise. Looking at your location, that is unlikely though, so you will need to keep them on the ship, so they will end up stored in bond by the ship. That makes it harder for a double-dip on the 2nd cruise, because the original lot is still considered as duty free goods coming back into Australia, due to the arrangement they have for selling duty free on QLD coastal cruises.ย 

ย 

I gather you are flying home, so that is limiting anyway. Two litres takes up more than enough of my flight carry-on allowance and travelling with too many bottles is generally annoying - there are only so many ship pool towels you can use to protect your duty free bottles.

9 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Just to add. On the Qld coastal cruises, the price of duty free is a bit higher, as they have no competition.ย 

ย 

When you are in Port Vila, if you have time, take a trip to Fung Kuei. Usually more choice and cheaper prices than the ships.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Just to add. On the Qld coastal cruises, the price of duty free is a bit higher, as they have no competition.ย 

ย 

When you are in Port Vila, if you have time, take a trip to Fung Kuei. Usually more choice and cheaper prices than the ships.

We always buy our duty free alcohol at Fung Kuei's in Vila. On our recent cruise, the duty free price on board was virtually the same as Fung Kuei, but the selection was very very limited. Alcohol purchased at duty free shops ashore are taken directly to the ship (you give them your cabin number). This is available on the last morning of the cruise.

• Like 1

Hi,

We have two B2B cruises booked on Ovation of the Seas in Jan/Feb 2023.

ย 

We were told when we booked the second cruise that we could stay on board, and just move cabins.ย ย 

Now they are telling us we have to get off.ย  As they are both international cruises out of Sydney, why would we need to do this... we have already cleared customs on the first cruise?

First cruise is to South Pacific, second cruise is to NZ.

27 minutes ago, KylieHva said:

Hi,

We have two B2B cruises booked on Ovation of the Seas in Jan/Feb 2023.

ย 

We were told when we booked the second cruise that we could stay on board, and just move cabins.ย ย 

Now they are telling us we have to get off.ย  As they are both international cruises out of Sydney, why would we need to do this... we have already cleared customs on the first cruise?

First cruise is to South Pacific, second cruise is to NZ.

Passengers usually have to get off the ship so they have a 'zero count' before the new passengers are allowed on. We have never had to take our belongings off with us.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Even though you are not intending to, your ย second cruise is โ€œdomesticโ€ so you cannot buy duty free on it .I assume the ship will release your duty free purchase at the end of the first cruise and you can take it off at the end of the second ( there will be no ABF for the second โ€œdomesticโ€ ) ย 

We have done many domestic cruises and always purchased duty free. Hence why they go to a specific area so people can purchase ?ย 
unless things have changed recently. But as mentioned we wonโ€™t be getting any anyway ๐Ÿ™ˆ

ย so disregard my rambling ๐Ÿ˜‚

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

ย 

We have been to vila many times and always purchased duty free from Fung Kuei but have read recently that cruisers who have been to Villa that that is nowhere near the cheapest anymore and a couple in the Main Street are much more competitive. Have you heard this as well?ย 

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Duty free is available on Qld coastal cruises that go out past Willis Island. Even though there is no immigration for an "arrival" back into Australia, they still have arrival cards to comply with duty free limits and ABF staff to check/collect the cards.

ย 

The general gist is that you get duty free on the first cruise. If you were able to take it home or leave it with a friend, you could double-up on the next cruise. Looking at your location, that is unlikely though, so you will need to keep them on the ship, so they will end up stored in bond by the ship. That makes it harder for a double-dip on the 2nd cruise, because the original lot is still considered as duty free goods coming back into Australia, due to the arrangement they have for selling duty free on QLD coastal cruises.ย 

ย 

I gather you are flying home, so that is limiting anyway. Two litres takes up more than enough of my flight carry-on allowance and travelling with too many bottles is generally annoying - there are only so many ship pool towels you can use to protect your duty free bottles.

Haha. Great advice. Thank you so very much.ย 
๐Ÿ˜ƒ

2 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

We have been to vila many times and always purchased duty free from Fung Kuei but have read recently that cruisers who have been to Villa that that is nowhere near the cheapest anymore and a couple in the Main Street are much more competitive. Have you heard this as well?ย 

We haven't been to Vila since late 2019, and Vanuatu has only opened to tourism a few months ago - a few weeks ago for cruise. I am not sure if it has slipped a bit, I haven't heard much either way.

ย 

Friends who stay often at Iririki have said the cheapest prices are when there is a ship in port which has only recently started to happen again. It is always worth shopping around, although Fung Kuei has pretty much been the Dan's of the Pacific, and I usually go looking for something a bit different or limited edition to add to a bar full of the regular stuff. Hopefully a return of foot traffic brings competitive pricing.

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We always buy our duty free alcohol at Fung Kuei's in Vila. On our recent cruise, the duty free price on board was virtually the same as Fung Kuei, but the selection was very very limited. Alcohol purchased at duty free shops ashore are taken directly to the ship (you give them your cabin number). This is available on the last morning of the cruise.

Or on the last afternoon on Royal. Interestingly, Majestic Princess duty free was also delivered just before dinner on the last evening, almost as if they trusted us. There is no harm in delivering on the last day to people with drinks packages. After all, with a drink package we don't even break open our elite bar mini spirit bottles.

23 hours ago, arxcards said:

We haven't been to Vila since late 2019, and Vanuatu has only opened to tourism a few months ago - a few weeks ago for cruise. I am not sure if it has slipped a bit, I haven't heard much either way.

ย 

Friends who stay often at Iririki have said the cheapest prices are when there is a ship in port which has only recently started to happen again. It is always worth shopping around, although Fung Kuei has pretty much been the Dan's of the Pacific, and I usually go looking for something a bit different or limited edition to add to a bar full of the regular stuff. Hopefully a return of foot traffic brings competitive pricing.

We will be there in couple weeks I will check it out and report back. Read on another page that there are new owners and prices nowhere near what they used to be and a lot of cruisers either: purchase from ship as they said it works out same or some place in Main Street (canโ€™t remember name) but we like you have been thee many many times over many years and it was the only place to go.

๐Ÿ˜ƒย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flojoe8 said:

We will be there in couple weeks I will check it out and report back. Read on another page that there are new owners and prices nowhere near what they used to be and a lot of cruisers either: purchase from ship as they said it works out same or some place in Main Street (canโ€™t remember name) but we like you have been thee many many times over many years and it was the only place to go.

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

It would be a shame if it has gone that way. It was a cash cow for them before, and I hope they realise they will lose so much of their business if they they aren't competitive. The locals generally hated them as they kept much of their proceeds out of the community.

ย 

I would be happy for an update.