Best island to get married on?

evajean

My younger sister wants a destination wedding. I'm not sure if she will do a cruise but I used this website nonstop planning for my Navigator of the Seas cruise last May. Everyone seemed to know so much about the islands we visited. Just looking for some recommendations on a great island to get married on. She may want to do an all inclusive so if you have any recommendations on that too. Her list right now is US and British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos and Jamaica.

Thanks

Just an FYI, I have read here on CC about people who had weddings planned during their cruises, and then the ships didn't go to those islands!

Just take this in to consideration.

I have read the same thing. In one case half of the wedding party flew to the island and the other half cruised to it. It was a tendering port and the weather was too bad to tender in. Needless to say the wedding didn't happen at that time.

My younger sister wants a destination wedding. I'm not sure if she will do a cruise but I used this website nonstop planning for my Navigator of the Seas cruise last May. Everyone seemed to know so much about the islands we visited. Just looking for some recommendations on a great island to get married on. She may want to do an all inclusive so if you have any recommendations on that too. Her list right now is US and British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos and Jamaica.

Thanks

I was at a lovely wedding on the beach on Virgin Gorda and my daughter's friend had one on a different beach, same island....wonderful place, wonderful people. There is a lot of red tape related to getting the right paper work done and using a local minister...you have to be on the island for a certain number of days prior to the wedding. So, no matter which one she decides on, be sure that she covers all of the legal bases...

my son & daughter inlaw were married in cozumel, sunset beach wedding, that was gorgeous. it was at a hotel, that had a small restaurant/bar on the beach, we had it all to ourselves. great walkway for to walk down to where the ceremony was. the sun was setting behind them just as they were exchanging vows, and for the pictures.

they orginally were getting married in a garden in Jamica (there was no where to get married on the beach), but the day before we left, they changed ports. Luckily Carnival moved all the wedding plans, even offered to fly her dad & step mother in from Jamica where they were flying to, upgraded the flowers, etc. they were more than accomodating, gave them owners penthouse, free use of salon on wedding day, etc.

so i guess, it depends on whether she wants a morning, afternoon or sunset wedding, whether it's important to be on the beach or ?, and then make sure everyone can easily move to another location, if the wedding does.

it is very, very stressful when you hear it can't happen as you planned, so be prepared for possible change! but it was all worth it! it made the wedding even more fun after the shock! i'd ask the cruise line what they are willing to do, if it does get changed.

Weddings on Islands can be very dicey becasue of the local laws. Most good travel books have a section with details. From what I have seen most islands require you to be on the island for three business days prior to the wedding so plan carefully.

Check with a local hotel for the rules.

HI! I got married in October 2002 on St. Lucia. We got married at the Sandals resort. The Sandals Grande had just opened. It was wonderful. We stayed there 5 nights, then went to another resort on the southern part of the island - Ladera for another 3 nights. I think St. Lucia is like a mini-Hawaii.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I talked to my sister last night and it sounds like the cruise idea is out. She definetely wants an all-inclusive that has a ton to do. She doesn't want to lay at the beach all week. She obviously wants a beautiful location for the wedding ceremony and something that won't be too expensive for the relatives. Anyone have any suggestions on all-inclusives? Or even just the best island that you have cruised to?

Thanks

Eva

My husband and I were married in December 2002 at Sandals Montego Bay. The wedding was effortless. All we had to do was send the requested paperwork and they did the rest. The day after we arrived I spent about an hour in the wedding office and picked put my flowers, cake flavor, location etc. They even provided the witnesses in colorful dress since we were alone. It was very nice and the photographs are beautiful. There was always plenty to do at the resort. We spent one day at the Dunns River Sandals and I thought that resort was prettier but it wasn't in our budget at the time.

The most beautiful wedding I have ever viewed was at the JW Marriott Ihilani on Oahu,(Honolulu) Hawaii. It's not an all-inclusive, and not inexpensive, but there are many things to do on the island. I know it would be a memorable experience.

By the way, I got married at the Intercontinental Presidente in Cozumel. It was beautiful, too, just really doesn't hold a candle to the Ihilani for weddings.

B

Well, like I posted above - I got married 10/2002 in St. Lucia. They have 3 Sandals resorts to choose from which are all-inclusive. You can stay at one and visit all three for free. We had a fabulous time! My sister got married at Dunns River Falls in Jamaica 6/2001 at the Sandals there and it was quite nice; although I did prefer St. Lucia. Jamaica didn't seem as friendly and we had more people hassling us for tips (but we didn't stay at the Sandals resort, only got a day pass).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I talked to my sister last night and it sounds like the cruise idea is out. She definetely wants an all-inclusive that has a ton to do. She doesn't want to lay at the beach all week. She obviously wants a beautiful location for the wedding ceremony and something that won't be too expensive for the relatives. Anyone have any suggestions on all-inclusives? Or even just the best island that you have cruised to?

Thanks

Eva

St. Marteen is very nice.

Archived