Pre-paying Gratuities- the A$ rate is wrong?

lissie

This is weird. We booked from New Zealand, so the pricing is in Australian $ for the cruise and apparently for the gratuities if pre-paid via the website. 

So   something is wrong here: 

2 pax , non-suite room, 25 days that$16x2x25 = US$800 

However, they want A$1040. According to today's exchange rate that is only  US$704 -. 

Should I pay this immediately until they realise the exchange rate is way out of date?  Not often I will on exchange rate fluctuations!  

1 hour ago, Nang said:

Yes, why are you hesitating???

I have previously read on these boards that the exchange rate HAL tends to apply is very generous.

Because  I haven't actually worked out flights to Boston or anything else yet, and only have a minimal deposit in play so far , so not doing anything not entirely refundable yet LOL 

I had something similar with the USD/EUR exchange rate for a 31-day trip. 

We had to prepay $1054 in crew appreciation and at that time the Euro and US Dollar were almost worth the same. But they only charged € 875 so I immediately prepaid. As Nang wrote: the exchange rate HAL applies is very generous. 

It is not a mistake, it is the 'corporate fixed exchange rate'.  We too have have taken advantage of the generous euro/USD rate.  It is fully refundable and refundable in cash.  I would believe that they fix the rate annually, so it may be due to be reviewed soon.  

If I had a cruise booked and did not have pre paid gratuities then I would be seriously considering doing it now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

HAL honors their mistakes.  I know from experience 

No they do not.  They made a mistake on our shore ex credit on HIA pkg, gave us too much.  When we got on the ship, they charged their overage to our on board account.

22 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

No they do not.  They made a mistake on our shore ex credit on HIA pkg, gave us too much.  When we got on the ship, they charged their overage to our on board account.

Sorry, that happened. They have always honored their mistakes for our accounts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Sorry, that happened. They have always honored their mistakes for our accounts. 

It was fine with us, we tried to correct their mistake prior to boarding, but couldn't get them to see their mistake.  Guess they figured it out after I called them.  

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

It is not a mistake, it is the 'corporate fixed exchange rate'.  We too have have taken advantage of the generous euro/USD rate.  It is fully refundable and refundable in cash.  I would believe that they fix the rate annually, so it may be due to be reviewed soon.  

If I had a cruise booked and did not have pre paid gratuities then I would be seriously considering doing it now.

Same for canadians.