Karaoke song lists?

We_like_to_cruise

Tried the Search, but got zero results.

Have you seen in this forum any listing of the songs available for karaoke? 

On a cruise a couple of months ago was considering giving "Hallelujah" (Jeff Buckley) a shot.  Yes I had a couple of drinks beforehand - a karaoke requirement I feel. 

But all the song list had was - "Hallelujah Chorus" !

(That song is kind of hard for one person to sing at karaoke no matter how many drinks in.)

If there is no formal list, does anyone know what software and /  or equipment  is used onboard?  Perhaps I could search further with that info.

I should have thought to investigate that during the cruise.

Note, I am not trying to practice at home.  Just would like to get a little advance info before subjecting myself to ridicule !

Thank you.

😁

There are no karaoke books. Tracks are all loaded into each ship's karaoke software machine, they are not on line. The selections are not unlimited. Make a list of the songs & artists you enjoy and if you raise or lower the backing tracks to match your vocal range. Believe I have heard Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, but I don't know which artist Princess has. The key can change depending on the artist.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Huh!  That's a new one on me...I've not seen karaoke on any Princess ship that I've been on.  Perhaps I just "tune it out"! 😄

You and me too! Hasn't come across my radar. 

6 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

We were told that each ship has its own list.  So a song available on one ship, might not be on another ship.

I believe you are correct. I sailed on 4 different cruise lines including Princess since March. They all had over 100 songs in the karaoke song books. But the song selections vary and likely at the discretion of the person in charge. On this particular cruise, the karaoke DJ was from Mexico and 1/4 of the featured songs were either in Spanish or Mexican hits. The list even included a Santana instrumental hit Samba Pa Ti which is a all guitar solo song with no singing. Go figure.

Since October, I notice karaoke DJs have all stopped wiping down the mic after each use. This to me is a poor decision given all the singers are holding the mic 2 inches from their lips and spraying droplets all over the mic while singing into it, then pass the device to the next person to repeat the same process. That's when I stopped going to karaoke nights. Just not worth the risk of catching Covid or flu bugs from an unsanitized shared mic.

14 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Huh!  That's a new one on me...I've not seen karaoke on any Princess ship that I've been on.  Perhaps I just "tune it out"! 😄

The did stop karaoke (and other activities) during covid, but they have been bringing it back over the last 6 months or so. For a while, the singers had to wear masks, even after other masking requirements were being relaxed. On our last cruises in November there were multiple karaoke nights including one out by the pool where the singer is displayed on the MUTS screen as they are singing. None required the singer to wear a mask.

As to the list of songs, I'm guessing that Princess must have gotten dinged for having songs that they weren't supposed to have due to copyright issues. The selection is, I suspect smaller than the old days when they did have the song books. The most notable for me is that they seem to have few, if any, Eagles songs; some of which are my normal "go to" songs. 

As a somewhat humorous side note: It is not uncommon for Karaoke songs to have occasional lyric mix ups. Another of my "go to" songs is Jimmy Buffet's Margueritaville. In the last verse after "I blew out my flip flip, stepped on a pop top" the actual lyrics are "Cut my heel had to cruise on back home" but I've been on several ships where the lyrics come out as "Broke both legs had to limp on back home" which seems a bit overdramatic and highly unlikely had that actually happened.