Flying From a non Gateway City

pappy1022

When you fly from a location that isn’t a Regent gateway city do you always have to fly through a gateway city connection first? In my case, my local airport is in Austin TX and Austin isn’t a gateway city. My preferred route from Austin is Austin to London to Copenhagen. On the return there is a direct flight from London to Austin. I want to limit the number of connections to minimize the risk of missing a flight. We are going into Copenhagen a day before the cruise starts. We are coming up on the date where we can work with Regent to do flight deviations. If I can get decent flights to and from Austin at a reasonable price I will do that. Otherwise I will have to drive to Dallas or Houston.

Don't believe there is any requirement to fly thru a Gateway City.  Rather than wanting decent flights at reasonable prices you should be trying for reasonable flights with no upcharge.  Suggest you provide Regent you preferred flights including Houston/Dallas and see what the response is from Regent.

Remember you can request an unlimited number of flights and only pay the deviation fee once you agree.  Good luck

• Like 1

I do have my preferred flights from both Austin and Dallas ready to go once the deviation period opens up later this week. Those would change if I have to fly from Austin to a gateway city first and thus why I submitted this question on this Regent discussion board.

I would be very surprised if you were not required to fly thru a gateway airport in order to take advantage of their included air. After all, Regent’s contracted airline seats are by airline, flight and city. At least that is what I have experienced. Perhaps with international flights departing and arriving at a non-gateway airport, your experience may be different. Very interested in hearing how it goes.

36 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I will update my results. I will know in 3 days.

Good luck on 3 days. Am guessing you are unaware of changes in the air department. No change in the 270 days the difference is that requests go in writing with priority to the closest cruises and reports of weeks to get initial responses to 270 day requests 

some reports of many weeks to get a response. Not even TAs can phone the air department. Reason was identified as staffing issues.  Requests now go to reservations who forward to the air dept. 

hope you get your offers sooner rather than later. 

Just to add.  If you deviate (best option in my opinion) you are charged $175pp non-refundable, but if Regent has a way to book you on your requested routing they will.  If they have contract rates (unlikely London to Austin), then it'll be no other charges except the $175 pp.  If they don't have contract rates they possibly can still offer you the non-stop but at an uncharge.  Only you can know how much extra you're willing to pay to avoid a gateway city.  The good news is you don't have to accept their routing.  You can continue to try other options or go with their normal assignment.  The $175pp isn't charged until you accept the flights. 

And you won't have to drive to Dallas.  They'll put you on a flight from Austin, it likely will go through Dallas, and you will likely be in coach on that leg.  You only get Business Class from a gateway (or at least that's my understanding).

Edited by papaflamingo

Just now, alainciao said:

I just booked my flights direct with Regent on the phone.  IAD to BCN and LHR to BWI (non gateway)  There was a $250 charge to return to the non gateway airport. It was a deviation.

Good to hear their phone lines are again open.  We will book in Jan. for out Oct. cruise and I want to be able to do it myself rather than using my TA.  

I always fly through a non-gateway airport (RDU), and have never been required to fly through a gateway. There is an upcharge for using a non-gateway: currently it's $124.50 each way. Note that THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM THE DEVIATION FEE, which is charged for flying in or out a different day, picking your own flights, changing from the flights that are assigned, etc. I think it's $175 per person, round trip. So you could wind up paying an extra $424 per person if you deviate and fly from a non-gateway airport.

FWIW, the deviation fee is waived (one time only) for those whose Seven Seas Society status is platinum or above.

• Thanks 1