RCCL and Johnny Rocket's

Ret MP

I was once involved in a heated discussion (I know, hard to believe) in this forum or maybe it was one of the other cruise social media sites about Johnny Rockets.  I am/was a defender of the venue.  I, kinda still am.  But, another thread in here has several people listing Johnny's as one of the top overrated venues in RCCL.  I've only been to one Johnny Rockets since the restart and the Johnny's we've been to pre-pandemic were all on Oasis Class Ships, Oasis, Symphony, and I don't remember about the Allure. All of those were great. We really liked the Johnny Rockets that we visited, pre-pandemic.  HOWEVER, the Johnny Rocket's on the Independence this past October/November was far less than I expected.  The place looked old, worn-out, perception of unclean, and just not inviting.  The burgers were lacking something, they seemed bland, not sure what was wrong with them, maybe lack of seasoning.  I'm not ready to criticize Johnny Rocket's as a whole but it definitely needs some attention on the Independence.  Some say that they believe that Guys on Rustbucket Cruise Lines is much better.  I disagree, not because of the taste/quality of Guys.  Only because it isn't a sit-down/full service venue, the fix'ins bar is gross (not very well maintained, non-Guys people (often drunks) walking by and grabbing stuff with their hands, etc.), the lack of seating far too often, and no beverage service (you have to go to another venue (like the BlueIguana Bar) for a drink of any kind and by the time you get back, the burger is cold).  So, I'm looking forward to returning to Oasis Class ships with a Johnny Rocket's and a better experience, I HOPE!  

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  I'm only saying that I'll look for itineraries, in the future, that don't include Coco Cay, unless we have any/all of our grandkids with us.  I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having eaten burgers at both JRs on Royal ships and SunGlasses Neck's on Carnival,  I can opinre that neither are burgers to write home about.  Carnival used to have a great burger at their sea day brunch menu, not sure if still offered.  The Pub on Royal does have an excellent burger, $4 well spent, as does Playmakers.  But if you're on a cruise ship and get burger jones, by all means go have one.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

Really?  Did you actually read it?

Yes, the whole thing.  You are writing about people's tastes and telling them they are wrong to like one over another.  Then you take shots at Carnival (rust buckets I believe) for no real reason.  The other post you were talking about was just people listing their feelings, not taking pot shots at others.  So, yes, it is a GET OFF MY LAWN post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I had a burger at Johnny Rockets on Symphony and it was quite good. I'd eat there again. Fries weren't that great but that's ok because it kept me from overeating them. 

Coco Cay totally overrated. 

Totally agree about the fries.  We overcome that by asking them to cook them until crispy/brownish/well done, seems to help.  In fact, we ask that of every restaurant that we get fries from, not just on RCCL/Johnny Rocket's.

2 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

Yes, the whole thing.  You are writing about people's tastes and telling them they are wrong to like one over another.  Then you take shots at Carnival (rust buckets I believe) for no real reason.  The other post you were talking about was just people listing their feelings, not taking pot shots at others.  So, yes, it is a GET OFF MY LAWN post.

Quote where I told people they were wrong!  Yes, I will always take a shot at a business that treats their customers like I've been treated by Rustbucket Cruise Lines (a whole different story).  BTW, this forum and others are filled with people expressing their negative opinions about lots of other cruise lines, including Rustbucket Cruise lines, and just about everything else.  I never told anybody not to patronize Carnival, did I!  I only expressed my dislike of the venue called Guy's and why.  Did I ever say that people were "taking pot shots" at anybody/thing.  If so, quote me.  As you stated above, "The other post you were talking about was just people listing their feelings", which is exactly what I was doing here.

If anything, I was acknowledging that I MAY have to reevaluate my position of Johnny Rocket's after trying it on other ships again and I also stated that RCCL needs to give JR's a little more attention on Independence.  

Yes, you probably went back and read the words in the post.  But, you obviously inserted some kind of bias, not fact.   I'd be willing to bet that if I didn't mention that I am 71 years old, nothing would have been said.  Hence the reference to "GET OFF MY LAWN!", which was not my intent or even alluded to.

I swear, if someone stated that they didn't like the color of the blue sky today there'd be someone waiting in the wings to criticize it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My opinion is Johnny Rockets burgers should be included in the cruise fare. Guys Burgers on Carnival is included in the cruise fare and those are tasty. With that said my experience with Royal Caribbean when I pass Johnny Rockets is they seem to be doing alright with people coming in so clearly Royal Caribbean management knows what they are doing with having Johnny Rockets be an additional fee. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

My opinion is Johnny Rockets burgers should be included in the cruise fare. Guys Burgers on Carnival is included in the cruise fare and those are tasty.

I agree.  Guy's Burgers are much better tasting than Johnny Rocket's, and they are included, a double bonus!

• Like 5

I dont think its fair to compare Johnny rockets with Guys. Guys is included where as Johnny rockets is $12.99. Guys is meant to be a grab and go set up, as is, the Blue Iguana. Guys is always next to a bar with bar service. We never had to go get a drink while our burger got cold. The bar service would bring us what we wanted. If two people go to Johnny rockets, that's $25 additional while Guys is still included in the fare. For what you pay at Rockets, it needs to be better or be included or a lower price point 

• Like 6

Johnny Rocket's has never made sense to me, ever since our first sailing in 2012.  I mean, you are charging for burgers and fries, neither of which are anything to write home about.  I also don't get the 50's décor and vibe, it just doesn't mesh to me.  (just my opinion)

Celebrity has complimentary burgers and fries at their Mast Grill right there by the pool, Carnival has Guys burgers that are FAR superior, etc...

My main confusion about Johnny Rockets is that it's a "paid for" venue.   Royal can do far better IMO. 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

I dont think its fair to compare Johnny rockets with Guys. Guys is included where as Johnny rockets is $12.99. Guys is meant to be a grab and go set up, as is, the Blue Iguana. Guys is always next to a bar with bar service. We never had to go get a drink while our burger got cold. The bar service would bring us what we wanted. If two people go to Johnny rockets, that's $25 additional while Guys is still included in the fare. For what you pay at Rockets, it needs to be better or be included or a lower price point 

Just to be clear, as stated in my OP, I'm not comparing burger to burger.  I'm dissatisfied with Guy's lack of full service, having to go to the BlueIguana for a drink and my experience is that it is almost always very busy and a long line to get a drink as Guy's is only open for Lunch and that's the busiest time of the day for that area. And waiting on servers to get a drink is/can be a long wait, too.  My wife or I had to go to the bar or elsewhere to get a drink, or bring one with us, and the fix'ins island is an issue for us.  I'm happy to pay an upcharge for full service.   BTW, I've had to wait in line at Guy's for up to a half hour to get a burger as it is a very popular venue and is only open for lunch/limited hours.  And yes, to be honest, JRs can be busy and a wait for a seat is possible.  But, it isn't a wait in a long line. 

I respect your and other's opinions.  You like what you like and I like what I like.  I'm not trying to turn you or anybody else away from anything, as someone is trying to say I am.  I'm just stating what my observations are and explain why.  

I just don't get why Royal charges for Johnny Rockets, and especially how much they charge. Take out any comparison to other cruise lines and it still stands out to me as a mediocre burger joint, which to me doesn't deserve any upcharge.

I love Royal's MDR and Windjammer.  I think they've nailed that.  Sounds childish, but I just feel that Johnny Rockets is a stupid out of place venue the way it's setup.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Some say that they believe that Guys on Rustbucket Cruise Lines is much better.  I disagree, not because of the taste/quality of Guys.  Only because it isn't a sit-down/full service venue, the fix'ins bar is gross (not very well maintained, non-Guys people (often drunks) walking by and grabbing stuff with their hands, etc.), the lack of seating far too often, and no beverage service (you have to go to another venue (like the BlueIguana Bar) for a drink of any kind and by the time you get back, the burger is cold).  So, I'm looking forward to returning to Oasis Class ships with a Johnny Rocket's and a better experience, I HOPE!  

I agree... Guy's burger are better but its a grab and go where as you get a nicer experience in JR's . Bonus is the plate with the ketchup smiley face 😉 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I just don't get why Royal charges for Johnny Rockets, and especially how much they charge. Take out any comparison to other cruise lines and it still stands out to me as a mediocre burger joint, which to me doesn't deserve any upcharge.

I love Royal's MDR and Windjammer.  I think they've nailed that.  Sounds childish, but I just feel that Johnny Rockets is a stupid out of place venue the way it's setup.

Dan

The only way I can answer that and it really pertains to what my/our taste and preference is, we enjoy "FULL SERVICE" where/when possible.  We also enjoy the 50's theme and the occasional entertainment by the staff.  I believe the cost is minimal when we have to pay for it (if you cruise Star Class, it's included, which is not something we do every cruise, it's like 50/50 for us). I enjoy the WJ, too. But, usually only for breakfast and very early before the multitude of hands get involved.  Funny thing, we haven't had breakfast in JR's yet.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The only way I can answer that and it really pertains to what my/our taste and preference is, we enjoy "FULL SERVICE" where/when possible.  We also enjoy the 50's theme and the occasional entertainment by the staff.  I believe the cost is minimal when we have to pay for it (if you cruise Star Class, it's included, which is not something we do every cruise, it's like 50/50 for us). I enjoy the WJ, too. But, usually only for breakfast and very early before the multitude of hands get involved.  Funny thing, we haven't had breakfast in JR's yet.  

I'm not knocking why you like it, at all. Makes total sense.  Just doesn't jive with our likes.

However it almost forces me to bring up venues like O'Sheehans on all NCL ships.  24 hours, full service, better and wider menu (IMO) including burgers and fries, and complimentary.  They really do a great job with that.  However, don't get me started about the abysmal pool decks on NCL, or the layout of their ships, etc.

All cruise lines have their plusses and minuses and we've yet to have a bad cruise.  At least with Royal I can just ignore JR, but since you asked LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just to be clear, as stated in my OP, I'm not comparing burger to burger.  I'm dissatisfied with Guy's lack of full service, having to go to the BlueIguana for a drink and my experience is that it is almost always very busy and a long line to get a drink as Guy's is only open for Lunch and that's the busiest time of the day for that area. And waiting on servers to get a drink is/can be a long wait, too.  My wife or I had to go to the bar or elsewhere to get a drink, or bring one with us, and the fix'ins island is an issue for us.  I'm happy to pay an upcharge for full service.   BTW, I've had to wait in line at Guy's for up to a half hour to get a burger as it is a very popular venue and is only open for lunch/limited hours.  And yes, to be honest, JRs can be busy and a wait for a seat is possible.  But, it isn't a wait in a long line. 

I respect your and other's opinions.  You like what you like and I like what I like.  I'm not trying to turn you or anybody else away from anything, as someone is trying to say I am.  I'm just stating what my observations are and explain why.  

My point was not say I prefer either. But $12.99 per person is more than what a free standing Johnny rockets would cost. They need to be better. Regardless of wait, service, etc with Guys, it is tasty and its included

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I also don't get the 50's décor and vibe, it just doesn't mesh to me.  (just my opinion)

Celebrity has complimentary burgers and fries at their Mast Grill right there by the pool, Carnival has Guys burgers that are FAR superior, etc...

My main confusion about Johnny Rockets is that it's a "paid for" venue.   Royal can do far better IMO. 

Dan

Have to remember Johnny Rockets was added to Royal back in 90's when the 50's Diner Malt Shops were big hit, even around Michigan where you and I are at were being built around the State. Though first time I was at JR was at Mall of America in 1992. Was $5 cover in 1999 on Voyager...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

Have to remember Johnny Rockets was added to Royal back in 90's when the 50's Diner Malt Shops were big hit, even around Michigan where you and I are at they were being built around the State. Was $5 cover in 1999 on Voyager...

You're right about that.  Lot's of 50s style locations going in back then. (Mid MI area)

Hard to believe that was 22-32 years ago.  IMO it's time to reinvent JR into something more competitive with other cruise lines and more widely appreciated by Royals guests.

Dan

• Like 1