RCCL and Johnny Rocket's

Ret MP

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I'm fairly new to Royal- we've only done a mini cruise on Indy a while back but booked to go on Oasis.

Does JR get very busy for breakfast if it’s free? Just thinking about options that might be easier to manage with a toddler than the windjammer? Or is it crazy busy with long waits

It was busy when we sailed but we were able to get a table immediately one time and only waited about 5 minutes the other time. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

As an aside, I laughed hard at this comment, considering you usually start many of your posts stating that you haven't read what others have had to say.  So why would you actually expect others to extend that courtesy and read yours?

• "As usual, I haven't read every post in this thread.  So, excuse me if I repeat what someone else may have said."
  • "Once again I haven't read all posts in this thread.  So, excuse me if this has already been posted."
  • "I haven't read every post in this thread, especially the last 3 pages."

(I'll stop at three quotes from you.)

But staying on topic, JR's on Harmony last week was very disappointing.  

Breakfast was an assembly station of premade food except for eggs and toast.  I ordered the breakfast burger from the PREMIUM section of the menu and expected to hear the patty sizzle on the grill.  Nope:  premade and warmed up in an egg pan.  

An early dinner where I ordered a burger and just a hot dog was also disappointing.  While they grilled the burger, it was nothing special at all, and the hot dog was the same low quality hot dog in every other outlet on the ship.

IF this is what JR's is really like on land, I'd pass it by.

As for Coco Cay, it's a great stop.  There's plenty of things to do --both free and for a fee.  RCI has made a tremendous investment here and I doubt it will leave itineraries for quite some time if ever.

If you actually read my posts where I start off with those statements, they are just posts that may regurgitate something, possibly a suggestion of how to do something, my opinion about how something is run, that may have been stated already.  AND, I wasn't calling someone out FALSLY. 

That is all!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

If you actually read my posts where I start off with those statements, they are just posts that may regurgitate something, possibly a suggestion of how to do something, my opinion about how something is run, that may have been stated already.  AND, I wasn't calling someone out FALSLY. 

That is all!  

This forum is about sharing information and opinions relevant to RCI and cruising with the line.  BEFORE commenting, I typically make a point of reading EVERY post in a thread first, as a courtesy to those posters and as a courtesy to readers, so I can refrain from posting a comment or answer that has already appeared a number of times.

At least to me --and I'm probably not alone-- I would never want to give the impression "Hey, I didn't bother reading what others have to say... don't have the time for that... let me just blurt out my thoughts because that's what's important to me."  And I am NOT saying those are the thoughts that run through your head when you do that, but when you start your posts with those words, it GIVES THE APPEARANCE to others.   As I stated, "it made me laugh" and me saying that was intended for you to perhaps step back with some personal reflection to see how your words may be perceived by others.

But bringing this back on point @Caps_Shieldwrote:

"This is the most "GET OFF MY LAWN!" post ever."

And @Caps_Shield is absolutely correct and I do believe that @Caps_Shielddid read your post in its entirety to come up with that statement.

From the Urban Dictionary, the meaning of the expressions is:

(1)-Interjection- For an old person to yell, bicker, and b**ch ...

Apparently @Caps_Shieldfelt you were doing just that.  And I'd have to agree as it appeared to be a rambling rant.  (Again, perhaps not your intention, but most like how it was perceived by several of us.)

And when I say several, I see @Caps_Shield has one like it and 21 people also laughing at the lawn comment.

Food for thought... and better food than Johnny Rockets!

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

This forum is about sharing information and opinions relevant to RCI and cruising with the line.  BEFORE commenting, I typically make a point of reading EVERY post in a thread first, as a courtesy to those posters and as a courtesy to readers, so I can refrain from posting a comment or answer that has already appeared a number of times.

At least to me --and I'm probably am not alone-- I would never want to give the impression "Hey, I didn't bother reading what others have to say... don't have the time for that... let me just blurt out my thoughts because that's what's important to me."  And I am NOT saying those are the thoughts that run through your head when you do that, but when you start your posts with those words, it GIVES THE APPEARANCE to others.   As I stated, "it made me laugh" and me saying that was intended for you to perhaps step back with some personal reflection to see how your words may be perceived by others.

But bringing this back on point @Caps_Shieldwrote:

"This is the most "GET OFF MY LAWN!" post ever."

And @Caps_Shield is absolutely correct and I do believe that @Caps_Shielddid read your post in its entirety to come up with that statement.

From the Urban Dictionary, the meaning of the expressions is:

(1)-Interjection- For an old person to yell, bicker, and b**ch ...

Apparently @Caps_Shieldfelt you were doing just that.  And I'd have to agree as it appeared to be a rambling rant.  (Again, perhaps not your intention, but most like how it was perceived by several of us.)

Urban Dictionary - LMAO.  Do you do Wikipedia too?

Again, my comment about not reading my post was in response to a false premise, period.  Again, when I say that I didn't read every post it was only, repeat "ONLY" for the purposes of excusing myself for possibly repeating something someone else may have said.  If you say that you read every post in a thread that has ~dozens of pages of posts and then make a comment within that thread, I'd have my doubts.  Just because I and many others in here, don't read every post in every thread doesn't mean that there is any disrespect, especially any disrespect intended.   

I don't care how @Caps_Shield"FELT".  I only know what his/her words are/were.  And if you see a long post, like mine was, feel free to ignore it and move on.  Having said that, I'd be the first to admit that I ramble at times.  So be it.  I'm not going to change for you or anybody else.  There is a "BLOCK" option in this forum, I suggest you us it.  

BTW, I don't need a lecture about what these/this forum is here for.  I've stated it many times in this forum and others.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Urban Dictionary - LMAO.  Do you do Wikipedia too?... blah blah blah...  

I don't care how @Caps_Shield"FELT". ... blah blah blah... I ramble at times.  So be it.  I'm not going to change for you or anybody else.  There is a "BLOCK" option in this forum, I suggest you us it.  

BTW, I don't need a lecture about what these/this forum is here for.  I've stated it many times in this forum and others.  (added for emphasis:  crotchety finger wagging in time to word delivery

Yes, we "FELT" that too.

I quoted the Urban Dictionary since you didn't seem to have a clue and completely missed the meaning of @Caps_Shield's clever response. (Not lecturing:  educating.)

Yes, I'm aware of the BLOCK feature, but why would I want to do that and miss a good laugh at silliness here and there?

Besides, sifting through all-of-"that," that you wrote, you have a point about the lack of a good burger at JR's, albeit your comments were almost lost as you side tracked to another line's burger joint.

Edited by PWP-001

21 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Yes, we "FELT" that too.

I quoted the Urban Dictionary since you didn't seem to have a clue and completely missed the meaning of @Caps_Shield's clever response.  Clever Response!  LOL, as I stated, it appears to have a bias and you confirmed it with the Urban Dictionary response.  LOL LOL LOL

Yes, I'm aware of the BLOCK feature, but why would I want to do that and miss a good laugh at silliness here and there?  One person's "silliness" is another's "Common Sense".  Again, LOL

Besides, sifting through all-of-"that," that you wrote, you have a point about the lack of a good burger at JR's, albeit your comments were almost lost as you side tracked to another line's burger joint.

Okay, I'm done with this, unless you make any more outlandish remarks.  

Edited by Ret MP

We enjoyed JR' for breakfast on the Allure about  4 years ago and was free as posted here. But, on my RCL app it doesn't  even show JR open for breakfast. Either they just don't  show it on the app for breakfast or they just eliminated it. Sorry  if this is a duplicate post. 

12 minutes ago, Willwils said:

We enjoyed JR' for breakfast on the Allure about  4 years ago and was free as posted here. But, on my RCL app it doesn't  even show JR open for breakfast. Either they just don't  show it on the app for breakfast or they just eliminated it. Sorry  if this is a duplicate post. 

The app didn't show breakfast hours for JR until we were on the ship and connected to the ship wifi on our recent Oasis cruise,

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

IMG_3470.thumb.JPG.4b1b422a8789faa299a56b581867ef82.JPG

Looks good to me.  Of course I can't tell if everything is hot, if supposed to be hot or cold if supposed to be cold, if the butter is hard or soft (I like it soft to spread).  When was that?

On 12/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, Ret MP said:

I was once involved in a heated discussion (I know, hard to believe) in this forum or maybe it was one of the other cruise social media sites about Johnny Rockets.  I am/was a defender of the venue.  I, kinda still am.  But, another thread in here has several people listing Johnny's as one of the top overrated venues in RCCL.  I've only been to one Johnny Rockets since the restart and the Johnny's we've been to pre-pandemic were all on Oasis Class Ships, Oasis, Symphony, and I don't remember about the Allure. All of those were great. We really liked the Johnny Rockets that we visited, pre-pandemic.  HOWEVER, the Johnny Rocket's on the Independence this past October/November was far less than I expected.  The place looked old, worn-out, perception of unclean, and just not inviting.  The burgers were lacking something, they seemed bland, not sure what was wrong with them, maybe lack of seasoning.  I'm not ready to criticize Johnny Rocket's as a whole but it definitely needs some attention on the Independence.  Some say that they believe that Guys on Rustbucket Cruise Lines is much better.  I disagree, not because of the taste/quality of Guys.  Only because it isn't a sit-down/full service venue, the fix'ins bar is gross (not very well maintained, non-Guys people (often drunks) walking by and grabbing stuff with their hands, etc.), the lack of seating far too often, and no beverage service (you have to go to another venue (like the BlueIguana Bar) for a drink of any kind and by the time you get back, the burger is cold).  So, I'm looking forward to returning to Oasis Class ships with a Johnny Rocket's and a better experience, I HOPE!  

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  I'm only saying that I'll look for itineraries, in the future, that don't include Coco Cay, unless we have any/all of our grandkids with us.  I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

I will let my grandchildren speak to this.

1) Shakes are good but no better than I make for them at home (except JRs put bacon on top)  and mine are better. Regular Milk, good ice cream, , regular , hersheys dark chocolate syrup and malted milk mix and I throw in hot fudge at the end.

2nd place Hot fudge banana splits

2) Hamburgers. JR's  they said taste the same as served in windjammer.

Caveat-kids are tough graders, the 10 YO called windjammer Barfet.

The kids loved coco cay

This 77 YO thought  it was too hot, but worrse was 20 somethiingplaying their music loud on bluetooth speakers ratcheting it up to be heard. My Sennheiser nose cancellign over the eards headphones could not compete and it was too hot anyway. The in ear Bt's did not  fare as well. Back to the ship fo rthis 77 yo   on top where there was no music  competition and the internet  worked better that the entire week becasue few were on board.

Ceebrity is better suited for adults but the kids would have been miserable on X. Which means I would have been unhappy of they were unhappy.

Saying is-I can only be as happy as the unhappiest grandkid.

Their dinners? Strip Steak and double orders of  fries every night, finished  with double scoops of ice cream.  It's called vacation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Looks good to me.  Of course I can't tell if everything is hot, if supposed to be hot or cold if supposed to be cold, if the butter is hard or soft (I like it soft to spread).  When was that?

2018 Symphony TA, food was good.  We ate there several times and I am a little picky, so I think hot things were hot and the OJ was cold.  Coffee came from Promenade Cafe. Some one asked about being busy, there was one day that is was very busy and they walked us and several couples across the way to the outside section of Sabor and served us there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Order a cup of coffee and sit the butter dish on top. Soft butter quickly. 😃 

7 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Order a cup of coffee and sit the butter dish on top. Soft butter quickly. 😃 

Good advice, there are lots of tricks.  But, I don't recommend sitting on 'em.  :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1