Round Trip to Hawaii

crusnbee

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Any one way trip [between the mainland North American continent and Hawai'i] would have to either begin, or end in Vancouver, per legal requirements.

Not necessarily. A one-way trip could operate begin or end in Ensenada (or points south thereof) as well. Or such service could be provided by an America flag vessel, such as NCL's Pride of America. Yet, as far as I am aware, no lines are doing so. The availability of one-way trips is important for people unable or unwilling to fly, yet today there are very such trips available. This makes is particularly difficult for individuals who might desire to have a Hawaiian holiday involving, say, a one-week stay in the state before returning to the mainland. For the 2023 season, all the one-way trips to Hawai'i operate August through October, and the return trips from Hawai'i all operate in April and May. Otherwise, a person would have to make a partial trip, perhaps an itinerary between southern California and Hawai'i that makes a stop in Ensenada, with the partial trip passenger boarding or alighting in Ensenada.

1 minute ago, GTJ said:

Not necessarily. A one-way trip could operate begin or end in Ensenada (or points south thereof) as well. Or such service could be provided by an America flag vessel, such as NCL's Pride of America. Yet, as far as I am aware, no lines are doing so. The availability of one-way trips is important for people unable or unwilling to fly, yet today there are very such trips available. This makes is particularly difficult for individuals who might desire to have a Hawaiian holiday involving, say, a one-week stay in the state before returning to the mainland. For the 2023 season, all the one-way trips to Hawai'i operate August through October, and the return trips from Hawai'i all operate in April and May. Otherwise, a person would have to make a partial trip, perhaps an itinerary between southern California and Hawai'i that makes a stop in Ensenada, with the partial trip passenger boarding or alighting in Ensenada.

Because nobody is doing the Ensenada to or from Hawaii trips, I intentionally didn't mention them. Celebrity tried, but I think the logistics made it too complicated. I am very much aware of that option. There were also, in the past, options to do Acapulco to Hawaii. Again,  not being offered, I didn’t mention it.

• Like 2

Yes, Princess does it a couple of times a year either from San Francisco or San Pedro.  We had it booked for 2021, but COVID put a crimp in those plans.  So we moved it to 2022.  We had it booked this last March for 15 nts from SF.  They seem to offer it around March and April.  We ended up canceling but our friends went.  They had a horrible time.  The weather was cold and rainy and the seas were rough.  It wasn't until they got a day from HI that it was nice and then got bad again a day after they headed back.  The port stop was Ensenada on the way back.     Looks like there's about 30 sailings for 2022, 2023, and 2024 doing that route either from SF or LA.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crusnbee said:

Do any lines do a round trip from the West Coast?

OR do any line go from the West Coast to Hawaii and back other than repositioning cruises?

Oh yeah, this is bread-n-butter for HAL from San Diego (sometimes boarding in Vancouver!). Just go to Holland America website and search-a-cruise "Hawaii". 

• Like 1

Princess does a lot of Hawaii round trips out of Los Angeles San Pedro. In 2023 Viking and Seabourn are adding Hawaii RTs in late 2023.

Carnival does Hawaii RT out of Los Angeles Long Beach.

HAL does Hawaii RT from San Diego.

I've done Princess quite a few times and HAL once. They've all been great, but I am partial to Princess.

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

Why?

I like the dining on Princess better, it is more "adult"; I the entertainment Princess does, especially the Hawaiian enrichment stuff. I also like the indoor pool on Princess and on my last Princess trip the Medallion app was great and made getting food/drink 10x easier.

I also like Lahaina far better than Kahului, assuming Princess returns all their trips to Lahaina when the pier is finished.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I also like Lahaina far better than Kahului, assuming Princess returns all their trips to Lahaina when the pier is finished.

Love Lahaina.  Pier at Lahaina?  So no more tendering?  Never done the HI cruise but have done land vacations at Kaanapali several times, not recently though wasn't aware a pier was being built for cruise ships.  

6 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Love Lahaina.  Pier at Lahaina?  So no more tendering?  Never done the HI cruise but have done land vacations at Kaanapali several times, not recently though wasn't aware a pier was being built for cruise ships.  

It is still tendering, but the location where the tenders dock was being worked on. It was one of the reasons they started using Kahului.

• Like 1