Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

1 minute ago, jwattle said:

I'm noticing a trend: many of the people NOT on the ship are wailing and gnashing their teeth about the things on the ship that they haven't even seen in person, but the people who ARE on the ship seem delighted with the ship. WEIRD! 😂

Cheers to those on the ship!!🥂

It's not weird at all that people on vacation are happier than those that wish they were on vacation.

To be honest though, there are design changes that I am not sure I will like as much as the older ships. I am not sure I like the new look of the Piazza nor do I think I will like the the narrower cabins. Plus the allocation of prime real estate to Park 19 which I won't use is in no way a positive for me. However there are things that I think I will like too. It appears the balconies might be a bit bigger, at least deeper from patio door to railing. The Royal class ships were a bit tight in that regard. The Cabana cabins look interesting and I might try (but not the ones fronting on to the Cabana deck) as I enjoy spending time on the balcony but direct sun in the Caribbean is not for me and when it rains the Cabana will be perfect. The Dome looks like it could be a nice space if it doesn't get over crowded. We'll see about that. Looking forward to more reviews in the coming days and weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TYCruise said:

I couldn't agree more and it was the first thing I thought of.  Compared to the Royal class ship, the Sun's Piazza looks more like the lobby at an office building.  Hopefully it looks better in person.

With the relocation of the IC, and the introduction of the new Coffee Currents, I don't see myself using the Piazza the way it was used before.  The new design will certainly alter the aerodynamics of the paper airplanes, for sure! 🛩️

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Just don’t hold a conversation. Those “balconies” will be echo chambers, and every word will be magnified. 

It's not just "words" that will be echoed and magnified, if you know what I mean!

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

I read somewhere that teppanaki was going to be in the third dining category Experience dining. A new category that also includes 360.

Shows as Specialty in my cruise planner for this ship. 

IMG_1134.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nekosabre said:

I am staying in an oceanview cabin (see photos in my previous post). The couch is actually quite large (3 seater). Normally I enjoy a balcony room but the oceanview on Sun feels plenty spacious. 

Thank you for your feedback.  I think we will be happier with an oceanview cabin, so I will look at those.  Are you on Deck 5 or 6?  I noticed that deck 6 is under a lot of public areas, so those cabins might be less quiet?  I am jeleous--enjoy the maiden voyage on the Sun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

I'm noticing a trend: many of the people NOT on the ship are wailing and gnashing their teeth about the things on the ship that they haven't even seen in person, but the people who ARE on the ship seem delighted with the ship. WEIRD! 😂

Cheers to those on the ship!!🥂

And there’s a lot of negativity. For some of the videos that I’ve watched on ytube they start out talking about all the things that aren’t to their liking. Even the titles are negative. I can’t listen to them. I’ve fast forwarded some with no volume. And the ones that they’re still showing the storage in parts 1 & 2… it’s too much. 

I often wonder if they actually allow themselves to enjoy the moments, or is it about being first, or monetizing the videos. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

And there’s a lot of negativity. For some of the videos that I’ve watched on ytube they start out talking about all the things that aren’t to their liking. Even the titles are negative. I can’t listen to them. I’ve fast forwarded some with no volume. And the ones that they’re still showing the storage in parts 1 & 2… it’s too much. 

I often wonder if they actually allow themselves to enjoy the moments, or is it about being first, or monetizing the videos. 

It's all click-bait. BIGSCARYLETTERS!!!! to get someone's attention, and then it's really not that big a deal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I think we will be happier with an oceanview cabin, so I will look at those.  Are you on Deck 5 or 6?  I noticed that deck 6 is under a lot of public areas, so those cabins might be less quiet?  I am jeleous--enjoy the maiden voyage on the Sun!

I am in cabin 6220. I don’t  think there was much choice left when I booked so I’m sure there are much better options, but I haven’t had any issues with noise or any other complaints with the cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nekosabre said:

I am in cabin 6220. I don’t  think there was much choice left when I booked so I’m sure there are much better options, but I haven’t had any issues with noise or any other complaints with the cabin. 

Thanks for sharing the great pictures.  Your cabin looks beautiful.  Glad you do not have any issues with noise in your cabin.  We once got a good deal on a mini suite which was located under the pool deck.  It was very loud with pool chairs being moved above us.  

7 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Does the struck out at the bottom mean that the Catch by Rudi isn't open yet? Or is it just some kind of phone navigation bar? 

It's just the navigation bar on my iphone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TYCruise said:

I couldn't agree more and it was the first thing I thought of.  Compared to the Royal class ship, the Sun's Piazza looks more like the lobby at an office building.  Hopefully it looks better in person.

Sun Princess:SunDec-1732-1707940862.thumb.webp.9f15b70806a117fe902c20986c908040.webp

Discovery Princess:DisPro-11808-1684766409.thumb.webp.6f9e90fbf997f66e01ebcebd4b0822e3.webp

Agree also.  The piazza looks more like some kind of public area at a mall or airport.  They certainly took the warmth and charm out of it.  Does not look inviting at all like most Princess ship's piazzas do.

1 hour ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

It's not weird at all that people on vacation are happier than those that wish they were on vacation.

To be honest though, there are design changes that I am not sure I will like as much as the older ships. I am not sure I like the new look of the Piazza nor do I think I will like the the narrower cabins. Plus the allocation of prime real estate to Park 19 which I won't use is in no way a positive for me. However there are things that I think I will like too. It appears the balconies might be a bit bigger, at least deeper from patio door to railing. The Royal class ships were a bit tight in that regard. The Cabana cabins look interesting and I might try (but not the ones fronting on to the Cabana deck) as I enjoy spending time on the balcony but direct sun in the Caribbean is not for me and when it rains the Cabana will be perfect. The Dome looks like it could be a nice space if it doesn't get over crowded. We'll see about that. Looking forward to more reviews in the coming days and weeks.

Well said.  For those of us not onboard, all we can do is go by our perceptions from photos and videos.  They may turn out to be spot on, or perhaps in real life totally off base. 

I'm also not a fan of the Piazza or that video wall, at least from pictures/videos.  Something about it looks temporary to me.  Almost unfinished.   Overall SUN PRINCESS has left me feeling a bit meh, but in reality I could be blown away by the ship.  After following the introduction of ICON OF THE SEAS and Celebrity's Edge Class, and even the Carnival Excel Class (similar to SUN PRINCESS), they all seem more cutting edge in one way or another.  I still have a desire to sail on SUN PRINCESS and experience her for myself.  Like all ships I think it's a tradeoff.  There are going to be some things you love, and others not so much. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have always loved the big walk in closet on Princess!!!

We will make this small closet with doors work...  But totally and completely unpacking and then repacking, to put all luggage away, is not something that I look forward too!!!

I actually look very much forward to unpacking. It's  the repacking that sucks. Even though our 17 night cruise in April is a month and a half away, I already get depressed thinking about the repacking at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MountainEER74 said:

I actually look very much forward to unpacking. It's  the repacking that sucks. Even though our 17 night cruise in April is a month and a half away, I already get depressed thinking about the repacking at the end.

Always remember end of a cruise is just before your next cruise.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Esprit said:

I reckon there will be some unhappy passengers in the Sanctuary with kids whizzing around constantly on the high wire above them on deck 19 😂

I wouldn’t worry; if soft serve is $5, that zip line will be around $99 per use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Prior to yesterdays launch, people were seeing the descriptions of the various dining options and the wording that 18% gratuity was added. They would then ask if the food was no longer free on the pool deck and MDR. I chuckled to myself thinking of course it's  free, always has been. Then I read that they are charging $5.00 for a cone on the pool deck. Has anyone eaten pizza, burgers, or tacos on the pool deck? Surely they aren't charging there too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree also.  The piazza looks more like some kind of public area at a mall or airport.  They certainly took the warmth and charm out of it.  Does not look inviting at all like most Princess ship's piazzas do.

There's actually natural light! I think that's way more warm and inviting than artificial lighting.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TYCruise said:

Sun Princess:SunDec-1732-1707940862.thumb.webp.9f15b70806a117fe902c20986c908040.webp

Discovery Princess:DisPro-11808-1684766409.thumb.webp.6f9e90fbf997f66e01ebcebd4b0822e3.webp

I get it. But look at all the daylight on Sun Princess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

I agree it looks different but being able to watch the sea from the piazza seems like a dream to me! I love the night time videos where you can see the waves through the sphere, emerging from the darkness when illuminated by the ship lights 😍 Imagine seeing that while enjoying a cocktail and some live music!

• Like 11

3 hours ago, watsongt said:

I currently have sphere cabin on 15 booked for August. Hoping since its higher on the sphere, the balconies won't be as deep. 

Welcome to cruise critic.

I have a DA on deck 15 port side closer to the front edge of the sphere on a B2B in October. It will be interesting and a new experience to say the least. I had a similar cabin booked on the Star for a B2B in November next year (D1) on the starboard side deck 14. I had my TA change it to a MD mini-suite on deck 12 aft starboard. Looking forward to new experiences on both ships. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jemnibabe02 said:

Seeing no stairs in the piazza any longer, I guess that means the elevator to get from one floor to the other for the piazza???

The deck plans show stairs on the aft end of the piazza. One staircase from deck 9 to deck 8 and one from 8 to 7. Definitely not the two spiral staircases on other ships that we are used to. May cause a real issue for picture night if people are standing on the stairs to get their pictures taken.

• Like 2

FYI:  If you are in this cruise. Laundromat is free.  Also washing detergent and fabric sheets.  The medallion payment is no currently installed.  

• Like 6