Any bloggers for the HAL WC?

LawDog61

1 hour ago, julia said:

@The-Inside-Cabin Looking forward to it!  

Also....  I'm fairly certain that Bill & Mary Ann (WCB) will have a great thread.

Yes they will, as always.   Here is a direct link to the world cruise blog page.   Please send any additions or corrections to connect@theinsidecabin.com

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

For all your 2023 WC bloggers, I am particularly interested in your observations of any post-pandemic changes in these Grand Voyages.  I am also, being being booked on the '24 WC, interested in how the Zuiderdam fares in comparison with its smaller predecessor, the Amsterdam.  If any '23 cruisers are so inclined, your observations will be most welcome.

• Like 1

I too am interested in how the Zuiderdam works for a long voyage. I was on the Eurodam for 11 days and would not do a cruise on her again for reasons that also apply to the Zuiderdam. The elimination of the Explorations Cafe, and turning half of the Crow's Nest into an increasingly shrill attempt to sell excursions, meant that I was never able to find a place to sit with a coffee and a book and look out the windows.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

I too am interested in how the Zuiderdam works for a long voyage. I was on the Eurodam for 11 days and would not do a cruise on her again for reasons that also apply to the Zuiderdam. The elimination of the Explorations Cafe, and turning half of the Crow's Nest into an increasingly shrill attempt to sell excursions, meant that I was never able to find a place to sit with a coffee and a book and look out the windows.

It looks like Zuiderdam has had the same changes: Zuiderdam Observation Deck | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

I will be doing a "Live" thread here on Cruise Critic which, as usual, will be the same as my blog (https://2022-2023hal.blogspot.com/) minus the pictures (it just takes too long to upload pictures twice on spotty wi-fi).

I am also going to be posting about pre- and post-pandemic "Grand" Voyages starting at the end of the Grand Africa (this coming Tuesday).  We have had many discussions onboard about how "less Grand" this has been than previous ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

I haven't been on the Zuiderdam since Sept. 2019, but I was recently on the Westerdam, another Vista ship. I loved grand cruises on the Amsterdam, but personally was surprised by the Crow's Nest with the Explorations Cafe there. We had lots of sea days this fall (11 of the first 14) and the whole area was busy, but I didn't see any "shrill attempts to sell excursions." The line for the shorex desk was generally quiet. Lots of people doing puzzles and playing games. They could have used a second barista, especially after all the Aussies boarded. But the staff was wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is on the world cruise. But I am prepared with an open mind to discover changes that are for the better. And we won't have the Amsterdam again, so best to let it go with fond memories.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I haven't been on the Zuiderdam since Sept. 2019, but I was recently on the Westerdam, another Vista ship. I loved grand cruises on the Amsterdam, but personally was surprised by the Crow's Nest with the Explorations Cafe there. We had lots of sea days this fall (11 of the first 14) and the whole area was busy, but I didn't see any "shrill attempts to sell excursions." The line for the shorex desk was generally quiet. Lots of people doing puzzles and playing games. They could have used a second barista, especially after all the Aussies boarded. But the staff was wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is on the world cruise. But I am prepared with an open mind to discover changes that are for the better. And we won't have the Amsterdam again, so best to let it go with fond memories.

No question that our memories of the Amsterdam must just be let go.  However, memories of what constitute a "Grand Voyage" are another matter.  These voyages cost a lot of money and if they are no longer "Grand", I, for one, do not intend to waste that kind of money on "it's just another cruise". 

That having been said, I realize that ports accessible to these larger cruse ships are necessarily more limited, and I am content with that.  The diverse menus on the Grands, the special attention by the staff, the particular perks, the pillow gifts, etc. are all part of a Grand and, IMHO, justify the additional cost.  The other essential, at least for us, is the existence of a library, which I understand is being installed on the Zuiderdam.  Has that actually been done?