Time change on ship for Dream 8-day?

ABQrobin

We just booked the Dream for 8-day cruise and then realized the excursions would be affected by us leaving port in Central time zone, and all ports being Eastern time zone.  I know the ship excursions won't be affect but my hubby was planning to dive and needs to book locally.  Really frustrated right now as it seems it won't be possible.  Grr.

44 minutes ago, notscb said:

Why wouldn’t it be possible? Most independent operators understand the concept of ship time and will ensure you’re back onboard on time. Plus, it’s only an hour difference. 

its a scuba excursion and the boats leave for that at a certain time.  It has nothing to do with getting back on time, it has to do with arriving in time.

3 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

We just booked the Dream for 8-day cruise and then realized the excursions would be affected by us leaving port in Central time zone, and all ports being Eastern time zone.  I know the ship excursions won't be affect but my hubby was planning to dive and needs to book locally.  Really frustrated right now as it seems it won't be possible.  Grr.

The ship MAY change to local time since all ports are Eastern time. I know many will tell you the ship never changes time, but I was on the Splendor in May and the ship changed time to match the port times. I have been on 20+ cruises over the years and most have changed time to match the port time. 

I would check with the dive companies, if you haven’t already, to see if they adjust times to accommodate cruise passengers. If they have enough cruisers interested, many vendors will adjust the time. 

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

The ship MAY change to local time since all ports are Eastern time. I know many will tell you the ship never changes time, but I was on the Splendor in May and the ship changed time to match the port times. I have been on 20+ cruises over the years and most have changed time to match the port time. 

I would check with the dive companies, if you haven’t already, to see if they adjust times to accommodate cruise passengers. If they have enough cruisers interested, many vendors will adjust the time. 

The ships do typically change on Alaskan itineraries, but it's not as common (though not impossible) on Caribbean itineraries.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:17 PM, ABQrobin said:

it has to do with arriving in time.

I think what i said still stands, and as @Illbcruzn4life also said, these tour operators understand and want the traffic that comes with cruise passengers. Arrival times and departure times will very likely be considered by whichever operator you're trying to go out with.

I just got off a cruise and met professional divers who take mainly cruises and stop to dive at most of the ports- they didn't seem to have any challenges.

• 1 month later...

This became an issue for 1 excursion on our first cruise. We didn't know it until someone else on the same excursion mentioned it. Paid for one day of internet, communicated with the company, and they refunded the money. Low and behold, we arrive in port 1-hour early and have to wait for the announcement to debark. In constant contact with the excursion. We got off the ship at 8:30AM ship time, 9:30AM local. They said to hop in a cab and meet them. They would hold until we go there. We arrived 10 minutes late, but everyone else onboard were staying on St Maarten. They just extended their time 10-15 minutes.