Santorini - What time to the top with only my ship in port?

LGinPA

Facts:

• Our scheduled time at Santorini is 1pm - 10pm.
  • We'll be on the NCL Breakaway which has a guest capacity of 3900. 
  • The only other ship in port on July 7, 2023 is a small ship that arrived in the early morning.

Question:

If we don't take an NCL excursion and we tender to the old Fira dock and take the cable car, what approximate time do you think we'll be up on top in Fira to start touring? 

Linda

Edited by LGinPA

• LGinPA changed the title to Santorini - What time to the top with only my ship in port?
18 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

Facts:

• Our scheduled time at Santorini is 1pm - 10pm.
  • We'll be on the NCL Breakaway which has a guest capacity of 3900. 
  • The only other ship in port on July 7, 2023 is a small ship that arrived in the early morning.

Question:

If we don't take an NCL excursion and we tender to the old Fira dock and take the cable car, what approximate time do you think we'll be up on top in Fira to start touring? 

Linda

It would be difficult to be extremely precise. A number of people on your ship will take the ship tours, but how many?  That will reduce the load by a lot (or a little!).  The cable car can carry 600 people per hour in each direction. Even if half of the passengers take tours, that could mean up to a 3 hour wait....  

The best strategy is clearly to get on the earliest possible tender from ship to shore. I have no idea how NCL handles tendering -- do certain groups get priority?

Of course, there is always the option to walk to the top of the cliff, or ride the donkeys (more like mules...and just as obstinate).

• Thanks 1

This was my experience at Santorini at the end of Sept on NCL :

We were in port from 2p-10p.  The day prior, we were told the tender line would open at 8am for those pax NOT on an excursion. We were got into that line ONE HOUR EARLY and got tender #4. We then stood in line for 2 hrs at the cable car.  We got to the top shortly before 4pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

This was my experience at Santorini at the end of Sept on NCL :

We were in port from 2p-10p.  The day prior, we were told the tender line would open at 8am for those pax NOT on an excursion. We were got into that line ONE HOUR EARLY and got tender #4. We then stood in line for 2 hrs at the cable car.  We got to the top shortly before 4pm.

So even getting in the tender line at 1 pm didn't get you to the top until 4pm, wow. That's really helpful.

Was there any other ship tendering, or was the cable car line mostly for your NCL ship?

13 hours ago, LGinPA said:

So even getting in the tender line at 1 pm didn't get you to the top until 4pm, wow. That's really helpful.

Was there any other ship tendering, or was the cable car line mostly for your NCL ship?

There was a Costa ship from 7am - 4pm with 2800 pax, and a Windstar with about 200 pax, so I didn't think it would be too bad for us being there 2-10pm. Wrong!

My advice is to take an excursion, or walk. 

When I started reading trip reports about the long lines this summer, I figured an excursion would be best solution. "Charming Oia Village" was the cheapest excursion and it was kind of DIY.....it took you to OIA for an hr of free time, then a bus to Fira where you were on your own for the rest of the day, and incl a ticket for the cable car back down to the port.   BUT this was a month before the cruise so when I called it was sold out. Only the Spanish speaking version was available.  In hindsight I should have taken the Spanish version anyway, just to ensure that I would get to Oia. 

Good luck !

• Thanks 1

We were there in late October on the NCL Jade this year from 1 to 10 pm.  We were the only ship in port with another ship coming in later.  We were not on a ship excursion which made our tender time longer. However,  it took us less than an hour to get off the boat and then less than 20 minutes to get on the cable car.  I thought it would be longer as we reserved a rental car for 2:30 but we had time to stop and eat lunch before meeting the guy to pick up our rental.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yhave1ne said:

We were there in late October on the NCL Jade this year from 1 to 10 pm.  We were the only ship in port with another ship coming in later.  We were not on a ship excursion which made our tender time longer. However,  it took us less than an hour to get off the boat and then less than 20 minutes to get on the cable car.  I thought it would be longer as we reserved a rental car for 2:30 but we had time to stop and eat lunch before meeting the guy to pick up our rental.

Hmmm, your Oct experience was totally different than Mapleleave's Sep experience.  

I'd be happy if we got to the top by 2:30pm (our NCL Breakaway is 1-10p, and a small Seabourne ship with only 500 pax will be there already from 8am.)   I was looking to book a private excursion for our group of 14, but not if we won't get up until 4pm! And walking up in the heat of July is not an option. 

Now I'm not sure if we should chance it. I'm leaning on taking the NCL excursion. 

1 hour ago, LGinPA said:

Hmmm, your Oct experience was totally different than Mapleleave's Sep experience.  

I'd be happy if we got to the top by 2:30pm (our NCL Breakaway is 1-10p, and a small Seabourne ship with only 500 pax will be there already from 8am.)   I was looking to book a private excursion for our group of 14, but not if we won't get up until 4pm! And walking up in the heat of July is not an option. 

Now I'm not sure if we should chance it. I'm leaning on taking the NCL excursion. 

Don't chance it. Especially for 14 people. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LGinPA said:

I am wondering what you want to do and where you want to go on this excursion?  Keep in mind that many cruisers (especially first time visitors) spit their time between Fira and Oia (the islands two major towns).  If that is you goal it can be done on your own other than transportation between the two towns (bus, taxi, etc).  If you want to go elsewhere on the island there are other places such as Akrotiri (ruins) and some OK wineries.   Using a tour guide in Oia and Fira never made a lot of sense (to me) since these towns are explored on foot and one does not need a guide to say "this is a jewelry store" or "this is a restaurant."

Hank

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am wondering what you want to do and where you want to go on this excursion?  Keep in mind that many cruisers (especially first time visitors) spit their time between Fira and Oia (the islands two major towns).  If that is you goal it can be done on your own other than transportation between the two towns (bus, taxi, etc).  If you want to go elsewhere on the island there are other places such as Akrotiri (ruins) and some OK wineries.   Using a tour guide in Oia and Fira never made a lot of sense (to me) since these towns are explored on foot and one does not need a guide to say "this is a jewelry store" or "this is a restaurant."

Hank

I'm making arrangements for our group of 14.  I've researched and contacted some small touring businesses who would drive us to a few other locations on the island including Oia:  Firostefani, Prophet Elias high point, Megalochori, and perhaps a winery.  I didn't want to manage the logistics, so having a local who can drive us and tell us a few things about the island in between stops would provide a personal and local touch. I think my group would like that.  

Edited by LGinPA
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LGinPA said:

I'm making arrangements for our group of 14.  I've researched and contacted some small touring businesses who would drive us to a few other locations on the island including Oia:  Firostefani, Prophet Elias high point, Megalochori, and perhaps a winery.  I didn't want to manage the logistics, so having a local who can drive us and tell us a few things about the island in between stops would provide a personal and local touch. I think my group would like that.  

That tour would be a good idea to see the island.  Just a suggestion:  

There is a ferry/shuttle boat that transfers passengers from the old port to Oia.  The boats are near the place where you would take the cable car up.  (Read about it on this board.)  Plan on taking the boat and meeting your tour guide in Oia.  There seems to be a wait of maybe half an hour until the boat is full, but that would be a lot less than a couple of hours to go up the cable car.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, marazul said:

That tour would be a good idea to see the island.  Just a suggestion:  

There is a ferry/shuttle boat that transfers passengers from the old port to Oia.  The boats are near the place where you would take the cable car up.  (Read about it on this board.)  Plan on taking the boat and meeting your tour guide in Oia.  There seems to be a wait of maybe half an hour until the boat is full, but that would be a lot less than a couple of hours to go up the cable car.

I'll second that  suggestion.

Ship's tender to the quay under Fira, then ferry (for whatever reason some folk call it a speedboat) from the same quay to Oia, bus up from the quay in Oia to the village - the bus might still be included with the ferry fare.

Arrange to meet your guide somewhere like Central Plaza in front of the Church of Panagia Akathistos Hymn, or the cafe by the bus stop for buses to Fira.

I suggest you arrange to meet at 3.30pm or 4pm - you should arrive in good time and can explore Oia for such time as you have before meeting-up. And carry the guide's phone number in case you're late or super-early.

With a 9pm last-tender time a late start shouldn't be a big problem other than scheduling for the opening hours for places you want to include.

Bear in mind that the ferry doesn't run in reverse - you'll need to end your tour in Fira, then cablecar or walk down the zig-zag path (25 to 30 minutes) down to the tender pier

JB  🙂

• Like 1

Thanks marazul and John B!

I did read about the boat to the port below Oia. And with 14 of us it will sure fill up faster!  Then again, what if it's mostly full and all 14 of us can't fit. 🤔

It would be important that we take the bus up the steep hill to Oia tough.  I know my 2 private touring options are flexible with where and when, so it would not be an issue getting us in Oia. 

I particularly like this idea since it would likely get us to Oia sooner, and the small boat ride seems like fun. Thanks again!   

Edited by LGinPA

Again, I can only report on my experience at the end of Sept.   

I had read about the 'speed boat to Amoudi";  a 20 minute ride, it doesn't leave until it's full , then there's a steep, uphill walk (15-20 minutes) to reach their shuttle. 

I would NOT call it a speed boat; it looked more like a small ferry, actually it looked like a small tender! It looked to hold about 80 people so it could take a long time to fill.  You could sit below if you wanted shade or sit above on the open deck. 

The boat sat there belching fumes for almost an hour before it gathered enough pax to leave.  The employees worked the cable car line trying to persuade people to leave the line and board their boat, and pax on board were yelling for us to join them.   IIRC it was 25e pp.   

If I was to visit Santorini again, there's a slim chance I might consider this boat, but my preference would be the Charming Oia Village excursion, because it's easy, I know exactly what I'm getting and everything is in place when I arrive.  

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Again, I can only report on my experience at the end of Sept.   

I had read about the 'speed boat to Amoudi";  a 20 minute ride, it doesn't leave until it's full , then there's a steep, uphill walk (15-20 minutes) to reach their shuttle. 

I would NOT call it a speed boat; it looked more like a small ferry, actually it looked like a small tender! It looked to hold about 80 people so it could take a long time to fill.  You could sit below if you wanted shade or sit above on the open deck. 

The boat sat there belching fumes for almost an hour before it gathered enough pax to leave.  The employees worked the cable car line trying to persuade people to leave the line and board their boat, and pax on board were yelling for us to join them.   IIRC it was 25e pp.   

If I was to visit Santorini again, there's a slim chance I might consider this boat, but my preference would be the Charming Oia Village excursion, because it's easy, I know exactly what I'm getting and everything is in place when I arrive.  

I agree there are several unknowns regarding the boat ride to Amoudi and the bus ride up the hill to Oia. We would not walk up. 

If most of my group would prefer the NCL excursion because everything is in place and a sure thing, then we'll do that.  NCL has not published any excursions on Santorini as of yet, but I check every day.

I was hoping to see more of the island, and the cost pp of the private tour is less and it takes us several additional places. So it's quite tempting.

There's a lot of time, and I appreciate your input! 🙂 

On 12/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, LGinPA said:

I understand the hesitation.   I have only been to Santorini 2x both in the month of October. I didn't have to wait as long as others have experienced either time.  I'm guessing going in late October may be the reason; however, with only 1 ship in port, I don't believe you will have such a long wait.  I'd be interested to know how it goes for you.  Our first time we booked a private excursion for just the 4 of us and our drove did an amazing job. 

• Thanks 1

We have been to Santorini more than a dozen times, stayed on the island, rented cars, used the buses, taken the private water taxis/shuttle to Oia, etc.  While trying to help folks who post questions, it has occurred to me that there is simply no easy solutions for this port.  The bottom line is that for those who go off the ship on their own (which is us) you ideally need to assess the current situation and vary your plans accordingly.

For example, when you tender ashore to the Cable Car area you will have three options. 1. Take the Cable Car up to Fira  2. Take a boat over to Oia.  and 3. Walk or take the donkeys up to Fira.  Most will not have any interest in #3 so now you are down to two options.  Whether or not you should take a boat over to Oia should be somewhat based on the situation with the boats.  Before paying a boat operator for that trip, make sure you feel comfortable that they will not leave you sitting in a docked boat for an hour!  If they tell you they are going to wait until the boat is full of passengers, you might want to stand around for a few minutes and gauge how long that might take.  As to the cable car, if there is a relatively short line than that can often be your best option (you can always get to Oia via the island bus system or with a taxi.  

If the cable car line is very long (keep in mind that at best, they can only move 600 folks (each way) in an hour), there is a strong incentive to take the boat to Oia (and than use the bus system to get back to Fira or go elsewhere.   For those that want to see more of the island outside of Fira and Oia, you can use the island buses (not the most efficient system), hire a taxi, or rent a vehicle.  It is possible to rent cars or ATVs at Fira but it is important to make advance reservations.  Without reservations you will be gambling that you cannot find a rental, and you would likely spend a lot of time just walking to various rental agencies (somewhat of a hike from the top cable car station).

The good folks of Santorini have been trying to impose restrictions on the number (and timing) of cruise ships, but on many days there are still too many cruisers for the infrastructure.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Just today NCL posted the available excursions! I've been waiting to see what they offered. I'll review them carefully and consider cost and convenience against what we'd be getting. 

Thanks everyone for your help!  

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

25 euro pp to catch the ferry is expensive for a family of four plus, in my opinion. 

Inflation is causing all kinds of heartache among we travelers/cruisers.  Just today, here in Puerto Vallarta, I saw a large package decent butter at Costco priced at nearly $60 (US).  Even 1 pound of decent butter costs about $8.  Controy (Mexican countreau) which used to cost about $4.50 a liter is now over $9.

If you want to go to Oia, on a budget, you can walk from the top cable car station to the bus terminal and take the local bus.  I do not know what a taxi would charge (the taxi parking area is adjacent to the bus station) but I would guess it is about 25-30 Euros (one way).  We have sometimes just rented a car on Santorini (for no more than $50) which gives us the ability to go anywhere on the island.  But rental car prices have increased and getting a one day rental can prove a challenge (2 years ago we must have tried 5 or 6 local agencies before we found one that would accept a 1 day reservation).

DW and I are very independent travelers (in most parts of the world) and can find ways to keep our costs under control by using public transit, rental cars, walking, trains, etc.  But for those who rely on cruise ship excursions (or even most private tours), things are quite shocking (in terms of price).   And air fare has gotten nutz.  About 7 months ago we booked one-way Business Class air from the east coast of the USA to Tokyo for about $2100!  Those same flights booked today would cost over $5000!

Folks that depend on excursions will just have to suck it up and live with whatever is quoted.  Even independent travelers are going to have a tougher time, but we can be flexible.  With excursions you either pay the price or cry and stay home.

Hank

• Like 1