When should the royal genie be contacting you?

djh

15 minutes ago, jalves said:

On a typical 7-night cruise you can expect to hear from them on the Monday or Tuesday before departure.  

For the Genie (Star Class)

Typically 6 weeks before sail date 

That has been our experience

For Suite concierge 6-7 Days

Happy Days!

4 hours ago, jalves said:

On a typical 7-night cruise you can expect to hear from them on the Monday or Tuesday before departure.  

We have only done one Star Class back in August and we got our survey at the 60 day mark and the first email from our genie at the 30 day mark.

For me, no contact until 2 weeks out.  Also, no problem since I didn't have any special requests.  Mentioned I like Corona as a beer, and my fridge and the counter above it were absolutely stuffed with Coronas for the entire cruise.

Edited by mk-ultra

19 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

For me, no contact until 2 weeks out.  Also, no problem since I didn't have any special requests.  Mentioned I like Corona as a beer, and my fridge and the counter above it were absolutely stuffed with Coronas for the entire cruise.

While I’m not a lover of Corona beer, I would have still helped you un-stuff your fridge during the cruise.  

9 hours ago, djh said:

We are sailing mid January and have still had no contact from our royal genie. Last year, we were contacted long before now. Does anybody have any recent experience with this?

30 days out is common.   Sometimes it might only be 10-14 days.  I wouldn’t worry at all.  Kind of defeats the purpose of Star class.  They will contact you.   Seriously.  Don’t worry.  Our last SC was at exactly 30 days.  But some of the ships are short staffed or if they have a high need group they have less time at night to handle emails to future cruises.   It varies.  

We were definitely closer to  6 weeks for initial questionnaire but closer to 2 for actual genie interaction. It seems weird as my X concierges have been in touch since September for my January X sailing. Wonder if it is about time Royal put together a shoreside concierge office like X has. 

11 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

We were definitely closer to  6 weeks for initial questionnaire but closer to 2 for actual genie interaction. It seems weird as my X concierges have been in touch since September for my January X sailing. Wonder if it is about time Royal put together a shoreside concierge office like X has. 

I think the concierges are just fine on Royal.  Not sure most need to be in touch 5 months ahead for concierge needs.  Certainly never had or needed that for almost any type of trip.  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

I think the concierges are just fine on Royal.  Not sure most need to be in touch 5 months ahead for concierge needs.  Certainly never had or needed that for almost any type of trip.  

Needed to for X as all the specialty restaurants were getting fully booked for the times we wanted. Depends on what you are looking for.

IMHO concierges have varied significantly on RC we have had some very very poor ones and some excellent ones. 

If concierges are busy onboard what does it hurt for RC to have a shoreside concierge department like X to get all info, bar set up, dining arrangements, etc in place - takes a lot of time off of onboard concierges to focus more on those onboard and not be dealing with 2 weeks of guests at the same time.

13 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Needed to for X as all the specialty restaurants were getting fully booked for the times we wanted. Depends on what you are looking for.

IMHO concierges have varied significantly on RC we have had some very very poor ones and some excellent ones. 

If concierges are busy onboard what does it hurt for RC to have a shoreside concierge department like X to get all info, bar set up, dining arrangements, etc in place - takes a lot of time off of onboard concierges to focus more on those onboard and not be dealing with 2 weeks of guests at the same time.

And a lot more expense I’d imagine.   I’d rather the concierge onboard handle things so there is some accountability onboard.   Anyhow, most things can be done on your own.  Using the concierge is often just for convenience.   I booked all my shows on Harmony for example.   No need for help on that.   

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

And a lot more expense I’d imagine.   I’d rather the concierge onboard handle things so there is some accountability onboard.   Anyhow, most things can be done on your own.  Using the concierge is often just for convenience.   I booked all my shows on Harmony for example.   No need for help on that.   

Actually X do this for all guest from entry level suites and above so no not necessarily a lot more expensive as they are covering a far larger number of cabins. And the accountability onboard comes from them fulfilling the request sent to them by shoreside.

I couldn’t do my dining as it actually comes included with my cabin. Like RC if you get it included with your cabin the app doesn’t recognize that and wants to charge full price, so with Royal you are actually planning stuff last minute. Yes we book our entertainment when possible but use concierge for Comedy Club. Also use concierge for requesting specific cabanas, as that can’t be done online either. (Only general booking online)

Personally, as I tend to be very busy, especially in the few days immediately before a cruise, I like to be organized not stressing everything when I am about to travel.

Edited by Spurschick

Thank you for the responses. I do like to plan ahead and get everything lined out. We too are used to dealing with the shoreside concierge on Celebrity and having everything arranged before I deal with the last minute details of leaving home. We leave on the 15th and still have had no questionnaire or contact. I guess if I don’t hear anything after new years I’ll get my TA on it.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, djh said:

Thank you for the responses. I do like to plan ahead and get everything lined out. We too are used to dealing with the shoreside concierge on Celebrity and having everything arranged before I deal with the last minute details of leaving home. We leave on the 15th and still have had no questionnaire or contact. I guess if I don’t hear anything after new years I’ll get my TA on it.

I was wondering the same thing. We are sailing March 19 and no contact yet. When did you end up hearing from them? I am a planner by nature and so I don't rest until things are done. I know I should give it my full faith but it is a hard thing to do!