Anyone on Regal, or boarding soon. New Menus?

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

That would be so nice!   If you could give any info about the food, that would be great.

Maybe post some photos of the menus.   I am especially interested in seeing the specific menu, and any experience, from Crown Grill.   Seems the ships might serve beef from different places.  Some good, some not so good.  I have wondered if they have a new head chef now that they are back in Florida.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, while it is FREEZING here!

Thank you so much.  Regal was getting pretty good comments on the food.  Darn.  Whatever has changed back here in Florida, either the supply or the head chef and staff, or both.   I have been really looking forward to being on the Regal.   Maybe better to adjust my expectations for the food now, beforehand.

4 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, while it is FREEZING here!

Thank you so much.  Regal was getting pretty good comments on the food.  Darn.  Whatever has changed back here in Florida, either the supply or the head chef and staff, or both.   I have been really looking forward to being on the Regal.   Maybe better to adjust my expectations for the food now, beforehand.

Guess what had changed? Food costs have risen. Maybe doubled? Yet Princess still has to spend the same. You're getting cheaper ingredients.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Boarding day for Canadian!!!  Happy Cruising!

I am also interested if the ships band is the same as it has been.

So, any info about the food, the head chef and the ships band onboard would be so much appreciated!

We just got back from the 26-Dec sailing and overall had a fabulous time! I’ll try to post some menus separately, I think I got a photo of them each night. Overall, we found the food in the dining rooms to be excellent. A few meals we didn’t care for, but more often than not we left very satisfied. And we can be a bit picky with our dining! One server did remark that they are in the process of changing the menus. It sounds like the new ones are the ones with dinner/dessert on a single menu, while some evenings we had two separate menus for dinner/dessert. The only difference we found was a larger dessert selection and that dessert menu also listed specialty coffees and other after dinner liqueurs, which was helpful. 

One thing we found very strange though was the service between Allegro and Concerto (we had my time dining). Concerto was fabulous every night. Little to no line up for those with reservations, very prompt and attentive service. Without trying to rush or feeling rushed we were often through in less than 60min! Once or twice closer to 45!

However, Allegro was a mess. Line up of more than 30min even for those with reservations. Very frantic and disorganized hosts. And unfortunately that translates to some of the servers. Our two dinners there took nearly two hours, and had some incorrect items brought out. As a result, we moved future reservations to Concerto. Note: crew did remark this was the first time the ship has been this full since it’s restart, and that was even with 300 no-shows! They said they simply aren’t staffed for this. The following sailing apparently had about 1000 fewer guests. So I’m cognizant that this may have played into it. Which might be somewhat to be expected on holiday sailings. 

For entertainment, we were even more impressed than dining! Project 5 was the band and they were top notch, the lead singer could easily be on broadway. She also did a Whitney Houston tribute in the theatre that was fabulous. The steel pan player and the ship’s band were both also top notch. The piano player was underwhelming, always the same cliche songs night after night - though most of the crowd seemed to be enjoying it, maybe I’m just a bit of a piano bar snob! They also had some guest entertainers who were all top notch in the theatre. Overall, live music was in abundance and exceeded expectations significantly!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much!  Glad you posted!  I wonder if I can print those so I can turn them right side up and read them!  Glad to hear you enjoyed!  Makes me more excited to board soon.

Did you order any of the beef.  Was it good at all?  It sounds like they are still in the process of moving over to the new menus.  Maybe some of the mixed comments were because of switching over, and not having the new menus down-pat! 

I have also been hearing good comments about Project 5.  Looking forward to them onboard.   Were they in addition to the Ship's Band?  Maybe that means we will have two bands onboard.

17 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Thanks so much!  Glad you posted!  I wonder if I can print those so I can turn them right side up and read them!  Glad to hear you enjoyed!  Makes me more excited to board soon.

Did you order any of the beef.  Was it good at all?  It sounds like they are still in the process of moving over to the new menus.  Maybe some of the mixed comments were because of switching over, and not having the new menus down-pat! 

I have also been hearing good comments about Project 5.  Looking forward to them onboard.   Were they in addition to the Ship's Band?  Maybe that means we will have two bands onboard.

For the most part we quite enjoyed the beef dishes we had. Quality was generally right where we expected it to be. The beef wellington was one of the best dinners I had all week!

Project 5 is in addition to the orchestra (band). I may be getting my terms wrong, but these are indeed two bands. Project 5 is more of a typical band, whereas the orchestra is more brass; if that makes sense. Both were excellent and complemented each other well, in our opinion.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:16 AM, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Okay!  That is great!

So, Project 5 will be the Princess (or Party) band, and of course there is the Princess Orchestra onboard as well.   NOW I think I understand.  Thanks so much.  Posters like you are one of the great things about this board!

My pleasure 🙂 hope you have a fabulous cruise!