Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

AN EVENING OF INDIAN MUSIC IN MUMBAI!

We finally put together the details for the evening Indian classical music event in Mumbai.

April 2 (our overnight in Mumbai)

An evening of Indian Music:

Pickup from the docks at 4 pm, transfer to venue

4:30 to 5:00 - Introduction to the artists, tea

5:00 to 6:30 pm - interactive performance with explanations. Visitors can also try their hand at playing some of the instruments

6:30 to 7:15 pm - drop back to the docks

Cost: US$ 65 PER PERSON for a group of 10-15 persons including transfers from the docks, a high-quality interactive lec-dem performance, venue costs, and all taxes..Tea will be served with some crackers / light snacks. 

Gandhar Bhalerao started his journey as a flautist at the age of 8, under the guidance of Shri Vivek Sonar. Learning the discipline of Maihar Gharana, he started performing in the style of Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia at various festivals as a child artist.

He was awarded the Spic Macay Gurukul Anubhav scholarship in 2016. Under this scholarship program, he lived and learned in Harijis Gurukul at Bhubaneshwar.

Gandhar started learning the Gayaki of Gwalior gharana under Shri Nishad Bakre in 2020. This began his journey to understand and explore the structured approach of vocal music.

In 2021, fascinated by Shri Ashwin Srinivasan ji music and vision, he shifted to Bangalore to further explore the depths of classical music. He is actively learning under the “Khayal Ang” established by Ashwin ji.

This journey is nothing but a summary of Gandhar’s dive in the ocean of Raag Sangeet. Looking up to Pt Kumar Gandharva is fearless and abstract approach to Raags, Gandhar continues exploring the various possibilities of his instrument and music.

I don't think the tour arranger needs a payment right now, but it would be good to give her a head count.  So please let me know if you are still interested.  Best to email me or put a note in my cabin 6007.  m @ michael-baker.net

THANKS!

Evening of Music.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mbviking2023 said:

Similar experience we think.  We are docked in Honolulu at the moment and I ran a speedtest, 7:00AM local time.  Takes a good minute for the F and CC boards to load, and uploading pictures for the blog is interminable.  But hey, that's just a minor thing, considering everything else we're doing.  World Cruise!!

Screenshot 2023-01-16 065831.png

Starlink does have coverage in Hawaii, but unlike home it isn't fibre-optic speed and bandwidth. You are sharing the available bandwidth with all pax, crew and ship's business. As long a pax are streaming and auto-downloading daily updates to virus software, operating systems, etc. it is going to be slow.

I did most of my blog work early morning before most pax were awake and had few issues.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mbviking2023 said:

Similar experience we think.  We are docked in Honolulu at the moment and I ran a speedtest, 7:00AM local time.  Takes a good minute for the F and CC boards to load, and uploading pictures for the blog is interminable.  But hey, that's just a minor thing, considering everything else we're doing.  World Cruise!!

What app or website did you use for this speedtest?

13 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

We agree wholeheartedly. I guess Starlink has to learn to walk before it can run faster. I will leave you all with this thought. What did we do before the internet? 😎🌺👩🏻

• Like 3

In the South Pacific. Internet access (Bandwidth) is pitiful. Managers say it is satellite related. Baloney ! Other lines now have very good bandwidth. Spend the money, Viking !

Cannot believe this new ship does not have better bandwidth. Disappointing, to say the least.

12 minutes ago, Floater69 said:

In the South Pacific. Internet access (Bandwidth) is pitiful. Managers say it is satellite related. Baloney ! Other lines now have very good bandwidth. Spend the money, Viking !

Cannot believe this new ship does not have better bandwidth. Disappointing, to say the least.

That is so disappointing to hear. I know Gary @GKTV32162 had said it was awful on the 2021/2022 WC on the Star. I was really hoping it would improve on the newer ship with later/better technology. Guess not.

1 hour ago, DJVKN said:

That is so disappointing to hear. I know Gary @GKTV32162 had said it was awful on the 2021/2022 WC on the Star. I was really hoping it would improve on the newer ship with later/better technology. Guess not.

Yeah, Viking's internet tech is dated, and it is true that the farther south you go, the visibility line to the satellites degrades and therefore the service does too.  As has been said, other lines have figured it out.  Viking really needs to step up here.  People expect it.

• Like 1

I believe a new feature of the Neptune, is port and starboard pool windows open to allow for better airflow and come down half way. As a further note the stateroom curtains are  manual non powered like the Sun was. I stand to be corrected if the open windows were added on previous ships.

20230114_151844.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

this is so unlike any past WC posts.  All this trouble with "connectivity" and bandwidth.  Enjoy the cruise.  Shut down all the devices.   you will be better for it.🍹

I was thinking the same thing.  Coulda saved big bucks to stare at your phone at home. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

this is so unlike any past WC posts.  All this trouble with "connectivity" and bandwidth.  Enjoy the cruise.  Shut down all the devices.   you will be better for it.🍹

Sorry, but it is 2023. Access to data, home security, bill paying, family contact, etc depend on modern conveniences. Fast internet is not a luxury, but a basic expectation, like HVAC. Especially at these prices.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Floater69 said:

Sorry, but it is 2023. Access to data, home security, bill paying, family contact, etc depend on modern conveniences. Fast internet is not a luxury, but a basic expectation, like HVAC. Especially at these prices.

But, we do appreciate the fatherly advice.

• Like 2

My husband and I have been following the Neptune roll calls and blogs and have thoroughly enjoyed them. We’re going to be on the Sky for the next WC and have a question. What is the entertainment like in the theater in the evening on these long stretches of sea days? Did they bring entertainers onboard in Oahu?

16 hours ago, Floater69 said:

Sorry, but bandwidth limitations at sea have been discussed extensively, especially on the roll call for this cruise. Last time I checked the ship doesn't have a fibre optic cable attached to a satellite. When we cruise or hit the road in the RV, we don't expect to receive great service.

If you want similar service to that at home, don't cruise, or purchase your own personal satellite time. Since starlink has limited world wide coverage, I'll suggest INMARSAT and their geostationary sats.

With respect to prices - comparing both our previous World Cruises on Princess & Viking. The Viking base fare was double the Princess base fare, but by the end of the cruise, the daily cost was virtually identical. So while the Viking fare appears expensive, in reality it is no more expensive than a budget cruise line.

Even if Viking did cut back on internet, in favour of quality food, service, lectures, entertainment, more time in port, etc. then I'm all in favour. Personally, quality of the internet is way down on my list of priorities, when I'm off to see the world. I'll also note that when requiring bandwidth, I had no issues on Viking Sun, I simply timed my usage when less pax and crew were online. Had no issues uploading by numerous blogs, which contained many photos.

If it is an issue, perhaps Viking need to introduce bandwidth management controls, throttling back those users that are constantly utilising extensive bandwidth, such as streaming, large auto-updates, video calls, etc.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1