Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

15 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I am happy to see that nobody on Cruise Critic is posting photos and describing any additional protection measures. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the site that can't be named. I guess some pax really don't care about their safety, as they find it necessary to provide photographic evidence of protection measures, to those interested in doing them harm.

Those posts also provide advance warning that a cruise ship is coming through the area.

I think cruisemapper provides that info anyway. It could also be said that it means that the ship is forewarned and not an easy target.  Be interesting to see if other cruise lines follow suit. I think there's a few repositioning ones coming up. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think cruisemapper provides that info anyway. It could also be said that it means that the ship is forewarned and not an easy target.  Be interesting to see if other cruise lines follow suit. I think there's a few repositioning ones coming up. 

Every ship should take basic precautions by installing some type of wire and hoses. It just isn't necessary to publish the defenses and any others.

To put it into perspective the Ship's Security Manual is a controlled document and the entire contents are known to a very limited audience.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, DJVKN said:

Did you do this on your own or did you use a tour operator? Can you share who you used?

TIA!

Diana

Yes, we used a tour company who arranged the flights, the drivers and the tour guide. We booked through Trip Advisor/Viator and the tour company was Nikita Holidays.

• Like 1

Our trip to Agra, seeing both the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort. Both spectacular. So glad we did it. 26 hours and over 9 miles of walking.

https://storysworldcruise22-23.blogspot.com/2023/04/sunday-april-2-2023-taj-mahal-and-agra.html

https://storysworldcruise22-23.blogspot.com/2023/04/sunday-april-2-2023-taj-mahal-and-agra_6.html

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:13 PM, Heidi13 said:

Jim - another benefit is going on a World Cruise for 4-months as a pax, is not having to get up at Midnight or 04:00 every day to go to work.😁

Mind you, I do miss the hopped beverages with breakfast, after working the 4-8. When I met Judi on SS Oriana, she just couldn't understand enjoying a few beers at 08:00.

In my Navy days worked 0000-0800 for many many moons.  One of the first days off in Gaeta, Italy (homeported there, USS Puget Sound), I hit shore after work to the closest bar at around 0930.  Thought I'd be there alone and just hang for awhile.  Found out the place was packed with us night owls.  Got to know many other sailors on the same sort of shift.  Next thing you know, we saw the day workers wandering in (looked at watch, reading around 1630-ish).  Time to head on back to get some shut eye as the "day drinkers" came out.  In other words... "SHIFT CHANGE".  See you guys tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From my perspective, we missed a lot of the culture in Saudi Arabia. Since it is Ramadan, most shops were closed until mid-afternoon after prayers. The Saudis also need a little more training in the tourist trade. Jeddah is very spreadout and there were other areas missed which would have been interesting. The old town has made some progress refurbishing and there is still more to occur. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Jim Avery  and @Heidi13 and any others who have knowledge on this topic.  I've never been seasick in my life, and have experienced the ocean when it was not calm.  However I've also never been on the Pacific Ocean, which I think can be much rougher than anything I've experienced.  I've heard that even people who have never been seasick might still get seasick at some point.  As we will be on the 23/24 world cruise, do you recommend that I come prepared with some of those seasickness patches or something?  Thanks for any recommendations!

7 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

@Jim Avery  and @Heidi13 and any others who have knowledge on this topic.  I've never been seasick in my life, and have experienced the ocean when it was not calm.  However I've also never been on the Pacific Ocean, which I think can be much rougher than anything I've experienced.  I've heard that even people who have never been seasick might still get seasick at some point.  As we will be on the 23/24 world cruise, do you recommend that I come prepared with some of those seasickness patches or something?  Thanks for any recommendations!

I have never gotten seasick either but I will go on WC prepared. Bringing sea bands, ginger drops and bonine. But remember if things get very bad for you, you can go to Medical Office and get treatment - even a shot. What I noticed is that the people who book lower deck midship seem to be okay overall. We originally had a DV midship on Deck 5 but switched to a PV on Deck 5 towards the front/bow. Those who are currently on WC, did you find that being on lower deck midship helped? How did you fare if you were in a PV on Deck 5 toward bow?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

When it comes to motion of the ocean you have so many variables that affect the motion, it is difficult to predict how you will react. I wouldn't overthink crossing the Pacific Ocean, as any body of water can provide the conditions for uncomfortable movement.

If you have cruised extensively and not experienced seasickness, the probability of experiencing it on the World Cruise is fairly low. However, it does pay to be prepared, especially on a 4-month World Cruise.

The Scopolamine patch is prescription only in the U.S. so you may wish to discuss the pros/cons with your GP. However, I suggest considering some lower risk strategies:

- Seabands, it is critical to research and learn how to properly position them for maximum effect

- OTC meds, such as Gravol

- Ginger sweeties

- Onboard and feeling queasy, use some of the strategies I posted a couple of days ago by staying lower and more midships, avoiding Explorers, World Cafe, etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

I have never gotten seasick either but I will go on WC prepared. Bringing sea bands, ginger drops and bonine. But remember if things get very bad for you, you can go to Medical Office and get treatment - even a shot. What I noticed is that the people who book lower deck midship seem to be okay overall. We originally had a DV midship on Deck 5 but switched to a PV on Deck 5 towards the front/bow. Those who are currently on WC, did you find that being on lower deck midship helped? How did you fare if you were in a PV on Deck 5 toward bow?

The science behind ship movement doesn't change. By booking a more fwd PV on Dk 5, rather than midships DV, you will experience more movement in the PV than the DV.

From experience, this was proven when on Viking Sun - our initial midships cabin on Dk 4 had significantly less movement than the fwd suite on Dk 4 that we had for the final 3-weeks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

When it comes to motion of the ocean you have so many variables that affect the motion, it is difficult to predict how you will react. I wouldn't overthink crossing the Pacific Ocean, as any body of water can provide the conditions for uncomfortable movement.

If you have cruised extensively and not experienced seasickness, the probability of experiencing it on the World Cruise is fairly low. However, it does pay to be prepared, especially on a 4-month World Cruise.

The Scopolamine patch is prescription only in the U.S. so you may wish to discuss the pros/cons with your GP. However, I suggest considering some lower risk strategies:

- Seabands, it is critical to research and learn how to properly position them for maximum effect

- OTC meds, such as Gravol

- Ginger sweeties

- Onboard and feeling queasy, use some of the strategies I posted a couple of days ago by staying lower and more midships, avoiding Explorers, World Cafe, etc.

Thanks very much.  Sorry, I thought I had read everything till now but I must have missed your recent post on this topic.  But what???  Avoid Explorers?  🤣  We are in a forward PV on deck 6 so probably more prone to feeling the movement.  In fact, when we decided to book the WC it was while we were on the Sky for the Adriatic cruise.  As we rounded into the Aegean, it was a bit rocky, and in fact we had to forgo Crete - the port authority there was not allowing any ships in due to the conditions.  Many passengers were not feeling well, and we all looked like a bunch of drunken sailors staggering down the corridors.  When we made the booking for the WC, we booked the cabin that was right above ours and asked the people staying in it if they would mind if we could take a look, as we hadn't seen a PV yet.  They were fine with us coming in, but the poor woman was feeling very seasick and was just laying in bed.  Didn't bother either of us, but I think it is best to come prepared...just in case.  Thanks again.

18 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Thanks very much.  Sorry, I thought I had read everything till now but I must have missed your recent post on this topic.  But what???  Avoid Explorers?  🤣  We are in a forward PV on deck 6 so probably more prone to feeling the movement.  In fact, when we decided to book the WC it was while we were on the Sky for the Adriatic cruise.  As we rounded into the Aegean, it was a bit rocky, and in fact we had to forgo Crete - the port authority there was not allowing any ships in due to the conditions.  Many passengers were not feeling well, and we all looked like a bunch of drunken sailors staggering down the corridors.  When we made the booking for the WC, we booked the cabin that was right above ours and asked the people staying in it if they would mind if we could take a look, as we hadn't seen a PV yet.  They were fine with us coming in, but the poor woman was feeling very seasick and was just laying in bed.  Didn't bother either of us, but I think it is best to come prepared...just in case.  Thanks again.

I believe my post on this subject was on the tread discussing the Norwegian Sea movement.

The ship's centre of gravity doesn't roll or pitch, but everywhere else rotates around the CoG, with parts of the ship further from the CoG moving more than those closer. Best simple comparison is a kid's see-saw  Therefore, being midships you experience less movement than being further fwd or aft. The movement is further multiplied as you head to higher decks.

When the ship is pitching (bow going up/down) the Explorers Lounge fwd on Dk 7/8 experiences significantly more movement than the Lounge Bar on Dk 1. Even in the Lounge Bar, seat closer to the ship's centreline have less movement than seats at the windows, if the ship is rolling.

Similar considerations between World cafe and Main Dining Room. A further strategy, when the ship is pitching, is to request a seat in MDR closest to the entrance, as further aft gets more movement.

Affirmative, a PV on Dk 6 will have more movement than a midships DV on Dk 3 &4, but less movement than Deck 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive told this tale before but I think it was on another board.  Back in the '70s when I loved the fast transatlantic crossings on QE2 the North Atlantic could be a bit "boisterous".  That fine ship drove through huge seas at considerable speed with never a pounding.  There was a bit of motion though.  The long passageways were fun to navigate.  I did observe a strange phenomenon.  While walking down these long passageways the sober souls bounced from side to side.  The tipsy passengers however walked straight down the passageway.  A true sea story.  

And as to the Pacific the name is derived from calm and I have only ever had significantly rough seas in the North Pacific heading toward the Aleutians.  You should be fine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Ive told this tale before but I think it was on another board.  Back in the '70s when I loved the fast transatlantic crossings on QE2 the North Atlantic could be a bit "boisterous".  That fine ship drove through huge seas at considerable speed with never a pounding.  There was a bit of motion though.  The long passageways were fun to navigate.  I did observe a strange phenomenon.  While walking down these long passageways the sober souls bounced from side to side.  The tipsy passengers however walked straight down the passageway.  A true sea story.  

And as to the Pacific the name is derived from calm and I have only ever had significantly rough seas in the North Pacific heading toward the Aleutians.  You should be fine.  

I have been on quite a few cruises and confronted seasickness twice. I have found that Dramamine works well for me.  Makes you a bit sleepy   I did wear an ear patch once and never got sick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been in rocky seas. And I don't get seasick. Interestingly on an excursion on QM2, which of course is the Queen for TA crossings, going to the Barrier reef in QLD the waves weren't high but the small vessel was pitched around like in a washing machine. I loved it, but most were very ill including most of the crew, especially the young entertainment folk, who were extremely unwell. Even the chief engineer (whom we'd had dinner with the night before and had obviously completed many TA's) was unwell.  So it isn't about heavy swell so much as how the waves and swells are throwing the vessel around. On the way back it was perfectly fine. 

For world cruisers, don't go out to a Barrier Reef cruise if it's windy or choppy. And if you do, expect to be unwell for an hour or so and then be perfectly fine. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruising denise said:

BONINE CHEWABLE TABLET works best for me. No drowsiness like Dramamine. I get seasick very easily and I couldn’t cruise without it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2