Does the crew know when we've prepaid gratuities?

joewmck

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

To the extent management wants to manage, it is reasonable for there to be some reporting to the staff of passenger satisfaction.    

On another point:   raising the irrelevant question concerning whether others on the ship are aware of  your tipping practices is simply another plunge into fatuosity --  unless you refer strictly to other passengers.  When it comes it comes to the staff being aware you are dead wrong.   Certainly whoever you told to remove service charges has a damn good idea of your tipping practices -- and thinking that those people would treat that information with the confidentiality of the confessional does not even rise to the level of being fatuous,

I did say "with the exception of very few" and "I will certainly give way to the many tipping experts." I stand by those statements, realizing of course that sometimes even the experts are full of baloney. I do understand your narrow-minded persistence and obvious disfavor for me and my comments. Since I am no expert, I am good with it. Do continue to be vociferous in your fulmination, that's what experts do.    

12 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I did say "with the exception of very few" and "I will certainly give way to the many tipping experts." I stand by those statements, realizing of course that sometimes even the experts are full of baloney. I do understand your narrow-minded persistence and obvious disfavor for me and my comments. Since I am no expert, I am good with it. Do continue to be vociferous in your fulmination, that's what experts do.    

It is possible that experts also tend to share their expertise -- in a somewhat similar manner as fatuous fulminators insist on sharing their blather.

As a side question:  do you really believe that cruise ship management, once advised by their customers of perceptions of unsatisfactory service, would fail to react in any practical fashion?

• Like 1

navybankerteach said "As a side question:  do you really believe that cruise ship management, once advised by their customers of perceptions of unsatisfactory service, would fail to react in any practical fashion?"

I would hope that management would react in a practical, logical and productive way. That being said, my cabin steward has no more knowledge about my tipping intent than you do. Fortunately, that makes for a much more enjoyable and productive cruise for both of you.

Now, nbt, I realize that you are a fan favorite on this thread, and I wore out my welcome long ago. Our back-and-forth banter serves only as self-indulgence. So, as not to be considered a "thread hog" I am going to take a repose and give others the chance to provide more meaningful repartee.   

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I would hope that management would react in a practical, logical and productive way. That being said, my cabin steward has no more knowledge about my tipping intent than you do. Fortunately, that makes for a much more enjoyable and productive cruise for both of you.

The cabin steward does not have knowledge of your intent. (they might have some intuition based on experience) They will have knowledge that you are not auto paying or pre paid. And of course at the end they will know if they did not recieve auto pay, pre-paid or cash from a passenger. 

The OP was asking if the crew knew if gratuities were pre-paid. The answer is yes. Otherwise the crew would have no accounting of their gratuities. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 12/29/2022 at 4:37 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

At the risk of sounding fatuous, again, does anyone else realize how absurd the above post sounds? I will certainly give way to the many tipping experts on this thread - of which there are many - but why would any employer even consider such a ridiculous and non-productive action? That question will segway perfectly into my next comment and the meat of this thread. With the exception of very few, no one on the ship knows your tipping practices, not at the beginning, not at the end. Not unless you tell them, of course. That from the reigning tipping topic amateur.

Hypothetically, what if they did know. Would it make a difference in their service to you? Would you feel played and placated in order to compensate for the "non-tippers" or would the crew efforts be genuine and self-fulfilling? Would it matter to you, or are you satisfied with being just another source of income?

Note: Font size and number of words have been approved for human consumption.

I cannot decide if I should Segway or Segue intro my next comment.

• Haha 1