My wife and I just returned from a Mediterranean / Trans-Atlantic cruise. While on the Trans-Atlantic portion my wife experienced severe chest pains. Her blood pressure was such a concern that the on-board medical staff kept her in the medical ward for observation. We purchased Princess insurance, and we know that Medicare does not provide coverage outside the USA but are wondering if it would be better to submit the claim to Tricare for Life? When we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale she was transported to the local medical center where she spent 5 days and had a heart procedure. We realize that Medicare is prime and Tricare for Life is secondary for this portion of her care. Who would pay for out-of-pocket expenses? (I spent 5 nights in a hotel, meals and transportation) is anyone libel for these expenses?

Thanks for your time

19 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

My wife and I just returned from a Mediterranean / Trans-Atlantic cruise. While on the Trans-Atlantic portion my wife experienced severe chest pains. Her blood pressure was such a concern that the on-board medical staff kept her in the medical ward for observation. We purchased Princess insurance, and we know that Medicare does not provide coverage outside the USA but are wondering if it would be better to submit the claim to Tricare for Life? When we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale she was transported to the local medical center where she spent 5 days and had a heart procedure. We realize that Medicare is prime and Tricare for Life is secondary for this portion of her care. Who would pay for out-of-pocket expenses? (I spent 5 nights in a hotel, meals and transportation) is anyone libel for these expenses?

Thanks for your time

Hi WmFCoyote,

Your Princess plan likely won't cover any treatment that was done after your trip ended.

Besides Medicare, are you covered by a Medicare Supplement plan? Or do you have Advantage plans?

Steve Dasseos

We have Medicare as our Primary insurance in the USA. Tricare for life is a secondary insurance and will cover us worldwide. Our Princess plan was the Platinum plan and was the primary insurance when we are outside the USA.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi WmFCoyote,

Your Princess plan likely won't cover any treatment that was done after your trip ended.

Besides Medicare, are you covered by a Medicare Supplement plan? Or do you have Advantage plans?

Steve Dasseos

Afaik, Tricare for life is a supplementary insurance, at least in the USA.  I have wondered since it is always supposed to be secondary how that works with traveling overseas with travel insurance.  

You have to submit to TFL for overseas expenses.  Forms are on their website.  Probably will cover medical expenses onboard (as much as military coverage ever helps) but I don't recall it covering living expenses for a spouse.  Rules are buried deep in the TFL online manual.  You also might need to submit to Medicare for a denial.  Normally they forward claims they don't cover to TFL in US, but don't think they will for overseas (since TFL is primary there).  Princess is going to want TFL to pay onboard expenses and TFL will want Princess to pay.  Hope you got all the paperwork from the ship.

Once back in US the hospital/transport to hospital would be under Medicare, with TFL secondary.  I don't recall anything in Medicare that covers spouse expenses.  We have a Medicare Advantage plan that does cover some of that.  Straight Medicare has about 8 plans, some cover overseas, some do not.  Our Advantage plan doesn't cover anything outside US.