Santa brought me a cruise for Christmas!

spleenstomper

The one he printed out is Zaandam in May 2023 (or thereabouts) New England and Canada, departs from Boston and ends in Montreal. Goes up the St. Lawrence River. I’ve wanted do this cruise for ages. 

Santa didn’t actually book it because it’s my present and he wanted me to take care of all the details since I have more cruises than he does. He did want a suite. 

The only other thing is since it’s my cruise, he left it open in case I wanted to do another Alaska cruise or if I wanted to change cruise lines. I do admit I’m a little concerned with CCL (we are shareholders) debt load and selling off 3 ships, 2 of which we know are costa and the other one is not named. I’m also worried about spending cuts and service cuts, although I enjoyed Westerdam immensely in September. 

We are 50s and I worry zaandam is too small for him and he will be miserable, thought he knows I love smaller ships. 

We are looking to book today including airfare and if we do Alaska again, we might to the one that starts in Anchorage and goes down to Seattle or Vancouver

ok. So who has a lot of cruises under their belt and can give me pros and cons (at your leisure as it’s Christmas Day) of these cruises? Which one should I do? So many choices! 

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all. I’m going to be looking after lunch when everyone gets sleepy.

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 3

Congratulations! Santa was good to you!

Zaandam is a smaller ship, but that is a very port intensive cruise, so I wouldn’t worry about him being bored. She is a lovely ship. We did the opposite direction as a reposition down to Florida and loved it. The advantage of the Zaandam is that she goes to Montreal too. The other ships I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong) are to large to go there. 
Although we love the Alaska cruises too, I would choose Atlantic Canada/ New England in a heartbeat. 

• Like 4

I have done the Canada/NE cruise on the Zaandam twice and loved it both times. All the ports were so interesting and the scenic cruise down the St Lawrence is very picturesque. Yes, the ship is “small”, but to me it’s laid out better than the bigger ships. There will be some children onboard if you cruise during the summer, but I didn’t notice any during the Sept one. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I have a giant scheduling problem and can’t do May. The mid May cruise would be good but it’s a Boston to Boston round trip. (Which we could still do but I would miss out on the river). 

So it’s either Alaska in April or New England on June 10. June 10 is tight because I would just be returning from my Niece and my nephew’s graduations in NorCal. The last time I had a tight turn around like that, I got very discombobulated and lost a bunch of stuff. 

We are going to sit on it for about 2 days and then book. 

Thanks again for the comments. 

Lucky you!  The Zaandam was my first HAL ship, so she remains special to me. I love the smaller ships. Feels more like a ship than a floating hotel. 

would the August 23 Zaandam cruise be an option for you?  It’s a few days longer, and therefore more expensive, but there shouldn’t be many kids on it since they should be getting ready to go back to school. 

otherwise, I would suggest doing the June 10 cruise and being as prepared as poissible before you head out to the graduations. 

whatever you choose, enjoy your Christmas present cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I found one!!! April 29 on Zaandam Montreal to Boston. This one could work. 

@waiting2retire I agree with you. I much prefer the smaller ships. My son and I are going on glory Jan 2 with a group (we live nearby Nola) and it’s so much larger with 2980 passengers. Yikes!!

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 2

Anchorage sailings appear in May so not sure you would have that option in April. I would book a smaller ship (we like them better)  in Alaska.

We've done both cruises years ago, either would be great on smaller ship. If you've been to Alaska and want to do the Canada, I would look for a different date than flying from SoCa and rush turn around. We always get sick (sinus,cold,etc) on cross country flights so if anything happens on return (even jet lag) would put a damper on that cruise. 

Not to be superstitious but we call Zaandam the Covid Ship now (especially reading "Cabin Fever" book) as my DW and about 200 other passengers got Covid in July and more during the Bos/Can cruises before or after. Also some on the Grand Africa that just returned this month. Many did not get infected  (i.e. testing positive) so it's really a small chance on any ship (depending on itinerary and current virus strain) but we now look at 10+:day cruises since quarantine for 5 days on shorter trips would be dreadful. But we still love Zaandam. 

When we did Montreal to Boston, we rented a car and drove up to Montreal and visited various sites along the way. Did the same coming back from Boston afterwards. You probably don't have time to drive but that could be an option later years. 

Being on East Coast we feel any port is easier up and the down the coast to get to so if we had the option to do Alaska again (which we rarely get to NW area) we would choose that. Book a balcony cabin (at least) for either. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Anchorage sailings appear in May so not sure you would have that option in April. I would book a smaller ship (we like them better)  in Alaska.

We've done both cruises years ago, either would be great on smaller ship. If you've been to Alaska and want to do the Canada, I would look for a different date than flying from SoCa and rush turn around. We always get sick (sinus,cold,etc) on cross country flights so if anything happens on return (even jet lag) would put a damper on that cruise. 

Not to be superstitious but we call Zaandam the Covid Ship now (especially reading "Cabin Fever" book) as my DW and about 200 other passengers got Covid in July and more during the Bos/Can cruises before or after. Also some on the Grand Africa that just returned this month. Many did not get infected  (i.e. testing positive) so it's really a small chance on any ship (depending on itinerary and current virus strain) but we now look at 10+:day cruises since quarantine for 5 days on shorter trips would be dreadful. But we still love Zaandam. 

When we did Montreal to Boston, we rented a car and drove up to Montreal and visited various sites along the way. Did the same coming back from Boston afterwards. You probably don't have time to drive but that could be an option later years. 

Being on East Coast we feel any port is easier up and the down the coast to get to so if we had the option to do Alaska again (which we rarely get to NW area) we would choose that. Book a balcony cabin (at least) for either. 

Yes, Cabin Fever was a real eye opener! Interesting tale of how it really was  and decisions made that now with 20/20 hindsight were so misguided!

Zaandam had a soft spot for us as we sailed our last cruise with my late mother on her, and she was our last cruise before Covid in 2019. 

• Like 1

@REOVA thanks, you made a lot of great points. Yes, I was following the lady on grand Africa and she did indeed get Covid. That is why I got a balcony even though I was by myself on Westerdam in September. I figured it would be good to air out the cabin. 

Also it’s a good point about catching Covid on the plane. Especially if I do a turn around. I live near NOLA but my daughter graduates university mid May and then my niece and my nephew graduate from 8th and HS in early June in NorCal. I do wear a N95 during the flight. 

You also bring up a good point about driving but we will need to save that for after DH retires. 

you are correct about Alaska too. That would also be May but a better time frame for me, though I think Zaandam is going to win on April 29. Does Zaandam have the lounge for suites? 

Edited by spleenstomper

14 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

@REOVA  Does Zaandam have the lounge for suites? 

Yes for Neptune suites it's on deck 7 so for the best experience book a Neptune around SA7029,7031,7033. These are under Canelletto which is carpeted and quieter. Otherwise you have a chance of being under Lido pool or Lido Market which are busy either cleaning or sliding chairs morning or evening. Currently 7033 is available. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, Cabin Fever was a real eye opener! Interesting tale of how it really was  and decisions made that now with 20/20 hindsight were so misguided!

Zaandam had a soft spot for us as we sailed our last cruise with my late mother on her, and she was our last cruise before Covid in 2019. 

Yes. We were on sister ship for GWC and it brought back many memories of what went on during that time. We fared far better than anyone with no known infections (even after eating with people in Sydney who may have been on Ruby Princess). We knew many people on Zaandam then and also met crew last month on Rotterdam who were on then (and returned to work with HAL 😮). Enlightening period and book. 

• Like 2

My 2 cents worth is if you have always wanted to do New England and have done Alaska once, do the New England. I have done it on sister ship to Zaandam in a Neptune Suite and it's great. The Neptune Lounge is the lounge for Neptune Suite guests.

IMO Covid is with us; some will get it and some won't. I wouldn't let that be a determining factor for which ship to sail. I personally thought Cabin Fever was a very interesting book. Looking back, none of really knew what was happening or how to cope. 

• Like 2

I have done the Boston Montreal run three times plus a few other times sailed the Canadian Maritimes.  Once many years ago on NCL and the remainder on HAL.   I obviously like this cruise.  I have sailed the inside passage three times , twice on Princess and once on HAL.   I did both sailings once again this year 

If you like colonial history and old world charm go east.  

If you like raw wilderness and the rugged outdoors go west.  Sure these are broad generalizations but they help define the cruise. 

I just noticed you said you live near New  Orleans. Are you a native?  If so you certainly will enjoy the culture and history of the eastern sailing.  Many of us native Louisianians trace our roots to eastern Canada 

I truly don’t believe CCL is any worse off financially than any other cruise line.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

spleenstomper - Congratulations! You will love it. My stepfather and I 

went Boston to Montreal round trip in 2018 on the (old) Rotterdam.

We had a great time. Happy New Year! 🥂😊

Thanks! We are both really excited. I’ve been to Vancouver before, but not anywhere else in Canada, so I’m really looking forward to it. DH has never been to Canada.