Trying to help my Parents with a Viking nightmare

Viking-nightmare

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Many airlines wont deal or even talk with you if you used a Travel Agent to make the booking, eg Viking Air. It is a good reason and why I don't use travel agents. 

So, should one just give up on a parallel course of action, just because they "might" not deal with you?

Let's be real....when things go wrong, you need to take EVERY course of action you can.  Not just sit back and wait for someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Harsh?  Yes.

Realistic?  Yes, too.

Read the OP's posts.  Nowhere will you see that they tried to contact the airline directly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, should one just give up on a parallel course of action, just because they "might" not deal with you?

Let's be real....when things go wrong, you need to take EVERY course of action you can.  Not just sit back and wait for someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Harsh?  Yes.

Realistic?  Yes, too.

Read the OP's posts.  Nowhere will you see that they tried to contact the airline directly.

Of course you should try. I've tried the same when my flights were cancelled. And got nowhere. "We didn't book your flight you need to speak to your agent". Which is why I mentioned not to expect any help if you do. I've been there done that. 

I also tried to liaise with Viking when I booked a cruise with a Travel Agent, who turned out to be lazy. And not passing things on. Viking would not talk to me as I'd booked with this TA. So eventually I transferred this cruise back to Viking directly but they had to do that through the Agent. 

Edited by Pushka

20 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Most trip cancellation/interruption policies cover a loss due to common carrier failure to meet schedules due to weather issues. For example, from a current policy of mine - "Missed Connections, Travel Delay - An involuntary change in the schedule of an airline flight, tour or cruise ship that is providing transportation for a portion of your trip, which causes you to miss a connection or to interrupt your trip".

I agree with this. The airline situation should be covered. Can't speak to the costs incurred with the cruise fare. At the least, the airline should make good on the cost of the missed flight, although might well be returned in the form of a penalty-free voucher. This is a very unfortunate instance, and one reason I try my best to avoid travel during winter months. Unless it's some sort of itinerary that I desperately want to do and not available other times of the year, I avoid December through February, though here in PA snow and ice can come right on into April. Climate change = stronger storm systems so we'll likely see more of what are often designated as "once in a lifetime" events. Hope things work out as best as possible for the OP. 

58 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Absolutely, and then throw in a bomb cyclone yet to make things even worse. 

But before the impacts of weather in the Midwest and Northeast, Seattle and Portland had almost two full days of Airport closures from ice.  The New York centered news cabal doesn’t think much happens west of Chicago 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay,  the "shoulda, woulda, couldas" are dominating the conversation, and the most important thing is to extend some sympathy and some valuable timely assistance.  The family is in emotional turmoil at the moment, and is looking for next steps.

Of course travelers turn first to their cruise line (and/or travel agent) and expect assistance and support.  Many older travelers can often get overwhelmed with the crushing stress of cancellation, and those travelers who are not extremely experienced do not necessarily know which next steps to take. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting to travel during the Winter and holiday season, even if it is busy and/or cold.  We all expect everything to flow smoothly, and it can be almost impossible to predict all the potential mishaps or solutions.

At this point it is very unlikely they will make the cruise, no matter what. I would not want to travel that far distance just for half a cruise anyway. The airline problems and weather challenges have taken their toll.   Yes, the travel insurance should be the first point of contact for potential reimbursement, but that does NOT necessarily mean Viking cannot extend some generosity in this extreme situation.

Rudely saying the passengers are "no shows" and will lose everything is a bit heartless, as the passengers were completely innocent in this situation.  Contracts and legal language are important, but even more important is ensuring the satisfaction of valued customers.

VikingNightmare,  try to enjoy your own cruise, and advise your parents that although the situation is terrible right now, you will work with them as soon as you return to contact Viking until you receive a satisfactory response, submit the travel insurance, and various other next steps (publicity? credit card stop payments?).  Hopefully the shock is lessening and now it is just a disappointment. Perhaps the trip can be rescheduled for next year, if everything works out.  Sometimes no matter how well we plan and organize, Mother Nature will have the last word.  Best wishes to you and your parents and please look forward hopefully, to a happier New Year.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Okay,  the "shoulda, woulda, couldas" are dominating the conversation, and the most important thing is to extend some sympathy and some valuable timely assistance.  The family is in emotional turmoil at the moment, and is looking for next steps.

Disagree.  This is an excellent opportunity for others to learn and prepare for their own future travels.  From the way the OP posted, this trip is dead and gone.  The only question now for the OP is reimbursement.  And venting about the mean old company.

But for the rest of the readers:

Do you know what your "travel insurance" does, and more importantly, does NOT cover?  Do you know the details and the fine print, or did you just buy "insurance"?  Does it provide the specific coverages that YOU need and desire, or is it just something offered by an agent or cruiseline?  Those are questions that need to be answered LONG before your trip.

Do you build in margins to absorb potential delays and diversions, or do you just wish for the fastest options with little margin for errors?

Do you have travel contingency plans drawn up?  And a backup to that plan?

Finally, how much are you relying on others to execute your contingency operation?  And do you recognize that that is likely to be your greatest single point of failure?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Do you know the details and the fine print, or did you just buy "insurance"?  Does it provide the specific coverages that YOU need and desire, or is it just something offered by an agent or cruiseline?  Those are questions that need to be answered LONG before your trip.

Good points. There are still lots of people traveling who never buy insurance. 

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Disagree.  This is an excellent opportunity for others to learn and prepare for their own future travels.  From the way the OP posted, this trip is dead and gone.  The only question now for the OP is reimbursement.  And venting about the mean old company.

But for the rest of the readers:

Do you know what your "travel insurance" does, and more importantly, does NOT cover?  Do you know the details and the fine print, or did you just buy "insurance"?  Does it provide the specific coverages that YOU need and desire, or is it just something offered by an agent or cruiseline?  Those are questions that need to be answered LONG before your trip.

Do you build in margins to absorb potential delays and diversions, or do you just wish for the fastest options with little margin for errors?

Do you have travel contingency plans drawn up?  And a backup to that plan?

Finally, how much are you relying on others to execute your contingency operation?  And do you recognize that that is likely to be your greatest single point of failure?

I’m curious about why the insurance company said it doesn’t cover “this situation.” I’ve read a couple of other threads in the last few days where others have encountered the same response from their insurance companies.

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Good points. There are still lots of people traveling who never buy insurance. 

There is nothing wrong with traveling without insurance.  IF you know what you are doing.  And if you are willing, and able, to assume the risks associated with your travel.

Remember that insurance is basically a wager being made between you and the insurance company.  The insurance company is betting that the premium being paid is greater than the likely payout in the case of covered losses times probability of loss.  And you are wagering that the premium is a fair price to pay to cover the losses from an unlikely, but possible, trip "accident".

OTOH, if you just don't buy insurance, for whatever reason, don't later complain about your losses.  You assumed those risks, even if only implicitly.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

I’m curious about why the insurance company said it doesn’t cover “this situation.” I’ve read a couple of other threads in the last few days where others have encountered the same response from their insurance companies.

It would completely depend upon the coverages purchased, and not purchased - along with the specific terms of the individual policy.  Which is beyond my knowledge or scope.

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

It would completely depend upon the coverages purchased, and not purchased - along with the specific terms of the individual policy.  Which is beyond my knowledge or scope.

A standard comprehensive policy covers cancellation, trip delay, and trip interruption. The list of covered reasons vary, but it is common to include inclement weather. 

The people who posted about their experiences did not give enough details to explain what happened.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:10 PM, CurlerRob said:

I would expect that the airline (whether through Viking or directly) would provide a refund or at worst a credit for the trip, although this could be subject to the fare class used by Viking Air.

I was under the impression that a US carrier was required to provide a refund for a flight cancellation regardless of the reason.  I've been able to get that refund on a couple of occasions but they don't make it easy.  You need to find your way through their refund procedures or be willing to spend a bunch of time waiting for customer service.  

7 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

I was under the impression that a US carrier was required to provide a refund for a flight cancellation regardless of the reason.  I've been able to get that refund on a couple of occasions but they don't make it easy.  You need to find your way through their refund procedures or be willing to spend a bunch of time waiting for customer service.  

Required or not, airlines routinely issue vouchers for cancelled flights. That is why it makes no sense to include the cost in the amount insured. Insurance will not pay once you’ve received a voucher as compensation.

The problem is the missed cruise. It seems that other provisions of the policy should be triggered by a Common Carrier delay/cancellation resulting from inclement weather.

24 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Good to know, although in this case I didn't see specifically where the OP's parents were flying from, or whether they were using a US carrier - perhaps I missed it ... 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Typo

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Of course, but admittedly it's dicier in terms of potentially inclement weather that could affect being able to get to the airport, let alone flight cancellations. 

Yes, but some people only have that vacation time available, some people planned a dream trip years in advance, and some people like my husband, are Winter sports enthusiasts (skiing, ice hockey) and INSIST on Winter travel. (Nothing like driving in the pitch-black night, in the swirling snow and ice on the scary hills of Colorado, with a herd of elk trying to cross the road in front of you!).

By the way, my dear brother and family left yesterday to fly to the Caribbean for a mini-cruise--found out their flight from PA to FL was cancelled, jumped in their car and drove nonstop to Miami to make the FL-Carib flight.  They had the energy to do it, but others may not be up to that type of solution.  I just saw a man on the news who has been sleeping in the airport for eight days--YARGH!  That would NEVER be me!

P.S.  Even better than travel insurance--a back-up credit card with a very high credit line to be used only for emergencies--has come in handy many times in the moment, as insurance only works AFTER the fact.

Edited by LibertyBella
Add P.S.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Rudely saying the passengers are "no shows" and will lose everything is a bit heartless, as the passengers were completely innocent in this situation. 

Innocent, yes, but responsible for a bit of contingency planning.

Every news outlet started talking at least 2 weeks ago about the impending weather situation that was headed across the US; this would have been the time to call airlines and see about possible alternative flight plans--not a day or two before Christmas when tens of thousands of travelers were doing the same thing. 

We've bought TripMate travel insurance in the past, but were fortunate not to have to use it; there are some good providers for those who always buy travel insurance, but the key is to ask questions and read the fine print before plunking down the cash.

This unfortunate situation should be a cautionary tale for all of us to consider when we're making expensive travel plans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I just saw a man on the news who has been sleeping in the airport for eight days--YARGH!  That would NEVER be me!

Nor me...that's just insane but I suppose falls under the general classification of sometimes "doing what you have to do"!  

8 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

but some people only have that vacation time available, some people planned a dream trip years in advance, and some people like my husband, are Winter sports enthusiasts (skiing, ice hockey) and INSIST on Winter travel.

True enough. I just worry about having bad weather when it's time to get to the airport moreso than what's taking place at home since I always contract someone to take care of any snow removal. 

19 minutes ago, longterm said:

Innocent, yes, but responsible for a bit of contingency planning.

Every news outlet started talking at least 2 weeks ago about the impending weather situation that was headed across the US; this would have been the time to call airlines and see about possible alternative flight plans--not a day or two before Christmas when tens of thousands of travelers were doing the same thing. 

We've bought TripMate travel insurance in the past, but were fortunate not to have to use it; there are some good providers for those who always buy travel insurance, but the key is to ask questions and read the fine print before plunking down the cash.

This unfortunate situation should be a cautionary tale for all of us to consider when we're making expensive travel plans.

The problem is that people are being told  insurance does not cover “this situation” - whatever that means, and it is not just Viking passengers.

One can’t protect oneself from the same fate without knowing why “this situation” falls outside the parameters of travel insurance.

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Nor me...that's just insane but I suppose falls under the general classification of sometimes "doing what you have to do"!  

True enough. I just worry about having bad weather when it's time to get to the airport moreso than what's taking place at home since I always contract someone to take care of any snow removal. 

We used to live 1/3 of a mile down a private road surrounded by farm fields. Even if it didn’t snow we had to worry about blowing and drifting. Now we live in a beautiful apartment and can leave at the drop of a hat!!! When we were gone for about 7 weeks last winter on 2 cruises we just texted our landlord about 2 days before returning home and he turned the heat back up!

1 hour ago, Iloveketo said:

We used to live 1/3 of a mile down a private road surrounded by farm fields. Even if it didn’t snow we had to worry about blowing and drifting.

This is the EXACT situation we have! Only one neigbor across from our 1+ acre property and nothing to break the wind, so, yeah, we get blasted. There can be 3 inches on the road but 3 feet of solidly packed, drifted snow in our driveway!  So...I know of what you speak. The apartment sounds much more convenient for traveling in general. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

It's been over 24 hours, closer to 48 hours, since we heard from the OP, who chose to make some pretty vicious statements IMHO.   Isn't this a little strange?

I'm not sure exactly who is telling OP they can't get financial compensation - but isn't it a little premature for this?  Did they expect a refund to be issued immediately?  Many people do.  Or the insurance to be processed immediately?  Many people do.   I'm not sure a front line customer service employee working on a holiday weekend is a person I'd necessarily rely on for advice or a ruling about a claim that hasn't even been filed.  To me it's like calling the doctor's office over a holiday weekend and expecting the answering service to diagnose my condition and then book me into a crowded hospital with no available beds and then assure me my medical insurance is going to cover my hospitalization, all in one fell swoop.  Insurance claims just don't happen this way.

I still view this, and any trip during holidays in winter, as a choice.  If you have a job that locks you into that time frame, how is that anyone else's fault?  If you have family responsibilities that lock you into that time frame, how is that anyone else's fault?   You still have the choice to go or not go.  The choice is not "I absolutely HAVE to cruise during Christmas holidays."  The choice is, "Do I feel lucky?"  And the chips fall from there.

In six months (I'm using the fact that we had a tree fall on our detached garage during Isaias and level said garage flat to the ground, and six months is about what it took for the insurance to be processed and a new garage built, fortunately completed before major supply chain issues arose) if the OP's parents have completed all their paperwork precisely and correctly and they have a denial in hand and the denial is based strictly on weather (and not some other reason which we don't know about), I think that's the time for the discussion about crappy insurance and so forth.  I would definitely want to hear about this!   

All we have now is an OP who approximately 48 hours ago chose to join Cruise Critic and use some pretty serious language to lambast Viking, the airlines, and an unnamed insurer for what was a choice by their parents to travel at a specific time (dead of winter during the holidays), to a specific destination across the world, using a specific insurance carrier.   At this point, I still just keep seeing the word CHOICE.

Some posters have offered a lot of great suggestions and advice and all I can add, having filed the aforementioned homeowners' claim and a long ago travel claim, is to be sure all documents and documentation are provided, you cannot skimp or "wing it."  And certainly eliminate all the accusatory language and the "they said" and "I was told..."  Calm and professional is the way to go.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3