Paul Gauguin or Windstar -prefer Balcony

TBruc

We were going to book Tahiti on Windstar but in Aug 23 it’s wind spirit which doesn’t have balconies. We really love having a balcony. Of course Wind Spirit is smaller. Curious to hear others opinions? 

In 2022 the Paul Gauguin once again was voted “World’s Best Small-Ship Cruise Line” by the readers of Travel + Leisure. I could go on and on but IMO Windstar is a PG wanna be. That isn't to say Windstar isn't a good cruise but the fact is the PG has been on top of the mountain of French Polynesia cruises for a long long time. 

No in regards to your precise questions you are correct, the Wind Spirit has no balconies and even if you take in consideration port holes on both ships the cabins are much larger on the PG. 

Food is solid on both ships though there is more choices on the PG simply because she is larger. 

The PG is inclusive ... many things that are included on the PG are extra on Windstar.

PG has local on-board Polynesian host, a trademark of PG. 

Wind Spirt does have a committed following as does the PG. 

I tried to get some interest to take a group on the Wind Spirt .... not many takers and we had to scrub the cruise. Next year I have 3 PG groups and in 2024 I have 4 groups on the PG. I have no problem filling cabins, heck, I had to stop taking request for the April 2023 group as it was getting to large ... I pride myself not to allow a group to get to large and loose it's intimacy and giving everyone my person attention. I only mention this as I want others to know I really tried to give Wind Star a chance ... I wanted to personally experience Wind Star so I had first hand knowledge of the differences ... but it just didn't happen.

Either ship and you will have a wonder time  ... the destination is the most important and both frequent similar islands. The crew is the #2 reason IMO  ... PG has one of the highest crew returnee percentages of any ship in the world  ... that is telling you something ... the crew loves working on the PG.

Enough said  ... I'm sure you will get some of the Wind Star faithful to add their 2 cents 😉

• 3 months later...

@Tahitianbigkahuna   Any thoughts on Paul Gauguin as a solo cruiser?   I REALLY want a balcony and I would prefer a longer cruise (12-14 days).   I looked for the "zero single supplement" cruises and could be ok with the category D cabin for approx $10k, but when I try to book it, it is $15k.   Is there a reason why it's $10k per person, double occupancy but $15k as a single with "zero single supplement"?   Is there any other trick that I'm missing?   I'm ok with the $10k fare + air and excursions, but $15k is a bit much for me, after adding all the add ons.   Ideas are greatly appreciated.   Windstar has no balcony and I have been convinced that Paul Gauguin is the "right" ship...

21 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

@Tahitianbigkahuna   Any thoughts on Paul Gauguin as a solo cruiser?   I REALLY want a balcony and I would prefer a longer cruise (12-14 days).   I looked for the "zero single supplement" cruises and could be ok with the category D cabin for approx $10k, but when I try to book it, it is $15k.   Is there a reason why it's $10k per person, double occupancy but $15k as a single with "zero single supplement"?   Is there any other trick that I'm missing?   I'm ok with the $10k fare + air and excursions, but $15k is a bit much for me, after adding all the add ons.   Ideas are greatly appreciated.   Windstar has no balcony and I have been convinced that Paul Gauguin is the "right" ship...

I would call PG directly if your trying to book directly. Their web page is still a work in process 😉

• 2 months later...