Queen Elizabeth Refit 2023

AussieVoyager

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Crew in the know that were aboard (22 Dec 22-5 Jan 23) mentioned it was a minor refresh. a drydock for 2 weeks in Singapore (18/3-2/4) for a thorough hull clean, inspection and repaint. An overdue maintenance issue that has seen QE cancel several ports recently (Dunedin/Bay of Islands/Fjordlands and some Australian ports) due to biofoul (mussels, foliose, oysters, algae, hydroids, sponges, tunicates, crabs, and starfish) damaging delicate ecosystems.They have had several attempts to clean it during her Australian homebase season, but to no avail. There will also be a little maintenance of a few engineering systems. Certainly not a major refit planned. There is a possibility that they will use the time to do some TLC around the ship; hopefully the changeroom showers mosaic floors can finally be retiled (been loose for about 5 years now...), some deep (steam) cleaning of stateroom carpets, replacement of any worn out mattresses/pillows etc.I'm boarding the day after the refit and will check in this page again then (3 April) and advise if anything else noticed.

I would love to know when the real refit/remastering is planned, as QE is beginning to look a bit dowdy after her sister Queen Victoria major refit ~2017 that saw the magnificent new aft cabins decked out in rich timber colours and beautiful new furnishings, as well as QVs winter garden and Lido pool deck that are now far superior to QE (in my opinion). I'm guessing the remaster probably won't happen until after Queen Anne launches though, so maybe in 2025 sometime...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WorldTraveller5000 said:

Hi, Crew in the know that were aboard (22 Dec 22-5 Jan 23) mentioned it was a minor refresh. a drydock for 2 weeks in Singapore (18/3-2/4) for a thorough hull clean, inspection and repaint. An overdue maintenance issue that has seen QE cancel several ports recently (Dunedin/Bay of Islands/Fjordlands and some Australian ports) due to biofoul (mussels, foliose, oysters, algae, hydroids, sponges, tunicates, crabs, and starfish) damaging delicate ecosystems.They have had several attempts to clean it during her Australian homebase season, but to no avail. There will also be a little maintenance of a few engineering systems. Certainly not a major refit planned. There is a possibility that they will use the time to do some TLC around the ship; hopefully the changeroom showers mosaic floors can finally be retiled (been loose for about 5 years now...), some deep (steam) cleaning of stateroom carpets, replacement of any worn out mattresses/pillows etc.I'm boarding the day after the refit and will check in this page again then (3 April) and advise if anything else noticed.

I would love to know when the real refit/remastering is planned, as QE is beginning to look a bit dowdy after her sister Queen Victoria major refit ~2017 that saw the magnificent new aft cabins decked out in rich timber colours and beautiful new furnishings, as well as QVs winter garden and Lido pool deck that are now far superior to QE (in my opinion). I'm guessing the remaster probably won't happen until after Queen Anne launches though, so maybe in 2025 sometime...

Yet many of the reviews claim QV is tired and dowdy looking.

15 hours ago, WorldTraveller5000 said:

QE did, in fact, have a refit in 2018. I was on board in early 2019 and she looked wonderful.

I'll be on board again next month, apparently just before the next refit. We'll be testing out the cleanness of the hull again, through New Zealand's finest waters. Hopefully they've cleaned sufficiently for us to follow the scheduled route.

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

QE did, in fact, have a refit in 2018. I was on board in early 2019 and she looked wonderful.

I'll be on board again next month, apparently just before the next refit. We'll be testing out the cleanness of the hull again, through New Zealand's finest waters. Hopefully they've cleaned sufficiently for us to follow the scheduled route.

I hope the hull is cleaned too as looking forward to going on her next month, and we have a friend, first timer to New Zealand.

I cannot see them cleaning the hull in time for the next NZ cruise.  They only finished 40% of the hull clean a few days ago and it takes almost 24 hours for a complete lean.  They cannot clean at any ports - Australia and NZ insist on the clean happening outside their waters at anchor or adrift.  They wouldn't for example want biofoul scraped off in Sydney harbour.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped Fjordland and Bay of Islands from the next NZ cruise and added a couple other less sensitive ports with an onboard credit as compensation, especially since it the last last NZ cruise of the season.  They don't come back until December.

Edited by need_a_holiday

On 1/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, WorldTraveller5000 said:

I only hope you are wrong and the hull is cleaned before 14/2 cruise to New Zealand. If it is not then why are they still selling this itinerary?

we will be so disappointed as this is a once in a lifetime trip for us from U.K.

11 hours ago, ScotsLady said:

I only hope you are wrong and the hull is cleaned before 14/2 cruise to New Zealand. If it is not then why are they still selling this itinerary?

we will be so disappointed as this is a once in a lifetime trip for us from U.K.

The day of sailing through the Sounds and viewing the fjords is always dependent on the weather so is never a given to occur - just to temper your expectations, a little.

The only time I've been through there was the day after they had had a full metre of rainfall the night before which was extraordinarily lucky for us that we were able to sail in after such extreme weather.

A poster on another thread regarding this issue has said he as heard the hull is to be finished being cleaned before we leave on the 14th February. We'll just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, WorldTraveller5000 said:

We will be embarking in Singapore April 3rd after this dry dock - I just read on another thread that the laundrettes will be refreshed with new machines as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 9:50 AM, WorldTraveller5000 said:

Notice anything else from the refit??

• Like 1

New washing machines and dryers on each deck. smaller and quieter. 

new carpets in many areas such as Lido (same pattern) and Commodore club and corridor leading to Commodore club (new pattern and look); reupholstered furniture in Commodore Club. 

Grill's Terrace between Grills' restaurants has been redesigned with the italianate fountain removed entirely and replaced by a wall of (plastic?) greenery, and the Victoriana lamps on the terrace replaced by modern led uprights. 

Pavilion Pool lighting enhanced with LED floodlights adding to the incandescent fittings that are still there, changing the deck from a dark area to one that's quite usable at night. 

hull cleaned and repainted. fresh look looks stunning. 

MUCH quieter engines/tuning. whatever they fixed the ship has gone from creeky and loud to very quiet running; a huge improvement for sleep and often forget we're at sea.

A pianola/disklavier in the grand lobby replaces one musician (sadly; but performance it gives is excellence)FEC32125-393C-4FEE-8E28-6572A82AC7AD.jpeg.692944d242986f91f5c0efe712cd9c39.jpeg3962CE56-0602-4CB2-8B08-7CA7116F8049.jpeg.7b7070b68116b1b0245b6a37f0d75212.jpeg65799B7B-B8D9-4406-BF54-63C4967E48AB.jpeg.c7dc281867dd933bcaba82fb10ad5d4e.jpegFD22477A-0E21-4E81-A334-2A5B04A6E885.jpeg.bb440bf083b1c6eaa9594f5e332ad08a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, WorldTraveller5000 said:

A pianola/disklavier in the grand lobby replaces one musician (sadly; but performance it gives is excellence)

This device was previously there, before the refit. I'm sure I've also seen it played by a human being so that gives its existence some justification.

Personally, I think it's a bit tacky.

• Like 1