Turn Down to be reduced to once a day 2023!

ulster-cruiser

21 hours ago, newbe dave said:

I have recently stayed at both Marriott (actually Bonvoy) and Holiday Inn company flagged hotels in the US and Scotland that only service rooms every 2 or 3 days. So if you stay for 2 nights, you do not get any housekeeping service. I cannot remember a hotel stay in 2022 where we got the normal, daily service. 

You can get towels if you ask at the front desk. I assume the same would be true on NCL. I may find out later this month when I cruise on the Joy (not sure if it is changed yet).

I agree that this is a decrease in service at the same time as an increase is the fee (the NCL PR/Communications people should be fired). But I still find cruising a good value, all things considered. 

We only experienced this on one occasion in the UK, and that was in 2020. 
Everywhere else, (Florida, Canary Islands, Greek Islands, Dubai, Mexico, Jamaica, St. Lucia, Cyprus) we have travelled in the last 2 years has offered daily room service. 
I personally would avoid any hotel that didn’t provide daily service, and I would certainly not book any cruise that wasn’t providing daily service. 

23 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Those beds may be open for your entire cruise.

I haven't tried doing 3/4 passengers in an NCL cabin.  Are the rooms arranged like on Carnival, where the extra berths don't block getting to the balcony? Or are they like Royal, where it is just about impossible to access the balcony with the sofabed pulled out?

On Carnival they always left the 3rd/4th berths in the "bed" configuration for the entire cruise, even pre pandemic back when they did have turndown service.

I don't really mind, but this is my first time in a cabin with 3 people so it may change my mind.  My last cabin steward skipped my cabin several times and I had to call for towels on the Getaway in September, not a big deal.  Is there details on which ships are in January.  I'm on the Escape in January.

We will be 5 people in one room. If the kids' beds aren't tucked away during the day, especially the pull-down one from the ceiling, then we will be prevented from actively using half the room during the day.  And NCL wants $900 in gratuities from us for a 9 day cruise - 1 stateroom.  If that is what our bed/room situation will be, we will be reducing our DSC.  

On 12/30/2022 at 12:25 PM, SeaShark said:

"over $600 in DSC" just sounds so bad, but ONLY because you are multiplying it to make it seem bigger.

Because that is what I am paying....

When I go on vacation I don't think about a per person per day its the total cost. You seemingly have bought in to the cruise line and others PR spin to make it seem like a smaller number.

Its $600 leaving my wallet in the end for that example.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

When we dine at a restaurant, the tip is based on the aggregate of what each person ordered, so it is in fact per person.

So you leave 2/3/4/5 different tips on the table then? Or do you figure out the total tip an leave it?

On 12/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, Joebucks said:

ignoring the billions of COVID debt

Well they did make billions in pre-covid profit....

On 1/1/2023 at 7:44 AM, newbe dave said:

Do these people have the same level of vocal disappointment for the hotel industry that does not service rooms daily in most cases?

You are staying at very different places than I am I guess. I put the DND sign on the door and still have people knocking to make up the room at times. I pretty much only ever stay Hilton family of hotels though.

Also hotel service charges and parking fees have been around for decades and have not really change too much from what I see. That being said I normally travel East Coast or Canada for work so it might be different in your areas.

Where people typically have an issue is when something is removed or there is a significant increase. If the cruise companies increases fairs over time some people might say things but when you increase essentially service fees by double digits you will get more negative feedback. Never heard of people complaining about Cable company increases?

On 1/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, laudergayle said:

There was no bail-out for these companies.  

To outline this is because in part:

• They skirt US tax laws
  • They don't follow US labor practices
  • They don't follow US naval codes regarding ships (outside of Pride of America)

So lets be sure to outline they made a ton of extra money as profit that would have went to the tax revenue in the US as well as other countries.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, geopuzzle said:

We will be 5 people in one room. If the kids' beds aren't tucked away during the day, especially the pull-down one from the ceiling, then we will be prevented from actively using half the room during the day.  And NCL wants $900 in gratuities from us for a 9 day cruise - 1 stateroom.  If that is what our bed/room situation will be, we will be reducing our DSC.  

My thought is they will do the beds but not touch anything else.

I can't imagine most of these cabins are big enough to allow the beds to stay out and not drastically impede your use of the room.

45 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Because that is what I am paying....

When I go on vacation I don't think about a per person per day its the total cost. You seemingly have bought in to the cruise line and others PR spin to make it seem like a smaller number.

Its $600 leaving my wallet in the end for that example.

So you leave 2/3/4/5 different tips on the table then? Or do you figure out the total tip an leave it?

It is also what I am paying...the same RATE. If I pay $10 and you pay $20 you are NOT paying twice what I am just because you are paying for two people and I am paying for one. It is still the same RATE.

What you are doing is throwing out a multiplied number in order to make it seem like you're paying sooooo much more, when you really are not.

You don't have to leave multiple tips. Again, if 4 people dine and leave a $40 tip, even though it is just one total tip, it is still $10 per person.

Perhaps if you are so fixated on the TOTAL TIP then this is a sign that you are reaching an uncomfortable spot in your budget and you need to reconsider your cost-benefit position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

It is also what I am paying...the same RATE. If I pay $10 and you pay $20 you are NOT paying twice what I am just because you are paying for two people and I am paying for one. It is still the same RATE.

It means I pay $20 and you pay $10 nothing more.

37 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

What you are doing is throwing out a multiplied number in order to make it seem like you're paying sooooo much more, when you really are not.

Except I am paying more...

$20 > $10 its 2x

37 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You don't have to leave multiple tips. Again, if 4 people dine and leave a $40 tip, even though it is just one total tip, it is still $10 per person.

If I get a steak for $100 ($125 with tip) and my wife gets chicken $35 ($43.75) that is a total bill of $135 and the tip is $33.75 its not $16.875 per person.

Dining is a bad analogy anyways because with dining you are getting 2x the product/service with 2 people. With cruises a portion of those actions are not actually duplicated as things like the bed being made would occur regardless.

41 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Perhaps if you are so fixated on the TOTAL TIP then this is a sign that you are reaching an uncomfortable spot in your budget and you need to reconsider your cost-benefit position.

Um no. The whole payment plan concept is exactly what marketing people do to cover up the true costs of things and make it seem like a better deal than it is.

Regardless of any of this and be it total or per day its still a 25% increase. A 25% increase is not a small increase.

In the end like I said elsewhere NCL should raise the wages, remove tipping (except for extraordinary service), and raise their cruise rates to cover the costs. They won't though because lots of people like to avoid seeing the true number.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

It means I pay $20 and you pay $10 nothing more.

Except I am paying more...

$20 > $10 its 2x

If I get a steak for $100 ($125 with tip) and my wife gets chicken $35 ($43.75) that is a total bill of $135 and the tip is $33.75 its not $16.875 per person.

Dining is a bad analogy anyways because with dining you are getting 2x the product/service with 2 people. With cruises a portion of those actions are not actually duplicated as things like the bed being made would occur regardless.

Um no. The whole payment plan concept is exactly what marketing people do to cover up the true costs of things and make it seem like a better deal than it is.

Regardless of any of this and be it total or per day its still a 25% increase. A 25% increase is not a small increase.

In the end like I said elsewhere NCL should raise the wages, remove tipping (except for extraordinary service), and raise their cruise rates to cover the costs. They won't though because lots of people like to avoid seeing the true number.

So sorry that your mathematic education wasn't up to snuff. You apparently feel apples to oranges is better than apples to apples.

The TWO of you actually pay more...in total...but NOT on a per person basis. Sorry, but you can't avoid that fact...math doesn't exaggerate, math doesn't lie.

Raising the wages and removing tipping will do nothing. 4 + 1 = 5 just like 5 + 0 =5. In the end, you still end up paying the same. Besides, how could you possibly avoid the "true number"? No matter what the breakdown is, in the end we all see the total cost...which is the "true number". 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:22 PM, laudergayle said:

I hope they will allow guests to select an am or pm housekeeping.  Personally I’d give up am service for a nightly turndown. I like coming back to a cabin with the lights on, bed turned down, fresh towels, a new Daily, and sometimes a surprise treat.

And, of course we would be on the first ship to adopt this policy.  Epic in February.  Since we booked this cruise, DSC went up $4 pp/pd, daily service reduced by 50%, complimentary daily breakfast went from free to $4.95+20%, and they eliminated the major off-broadway production of Priscilla.  I understand the need to regain a positive cash balance…but holy cow.  NCL is the new Fed.  Except NCL is contributing to consumer spending…or, perhaps, not for long.

I agree with your sentiments. Especially on sea days I often sleep in and lounge around, sometimes missing the morning service. I look forward to the evening service which is usually after I shower and my room is a little messy getting back from a port day. So if im scheduled for morning service and miss it... then what? 🙃 

I think we all understand what's happening and how they have to make up for lost revenue during covid but pick one or the other. As a business, it's a poor decision to increase dsc and decrease service. Keep dsc the same and say we are scaling back to 1 room service a day. They seem to be doing too much all at once. 

• Like 1

I am copying this paragraph from another NCL thread posted by "luv2kroooz". It perfectly sums up this discussed in my opinion. I will add that I do the same review and come to a different conclusion. I feel cruising still has great value for my travel dollars. I just did a land based trip to Scotland and confirmed that cruising is still a good value for my wife and I  For others the answer may, and probably is, different. Everyone should review the costs and benefits provided to make individual decisions. 

Again. copied a post from "luv2krooz": 

"We have zero cruises booked on any cruise line since the overall fares charged are no longer justified by the vacation delivered, in our opinion. We are not against paying more if more is delivered in the experience. Right now, the environment is pay more, get less. Pay more for internet, get crappy speeds; pay more for beverage packages, get less selection; pay more for service charges, get less service; pay more for specialty dining, get fewer meals. NCL makes so many changes to itineraries and onboard product offering that we don't even know what we are booking anymore."

• Like 6

On 1/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, newbe dave said:

Again. copied a post from "luv2krooz": 

"We have zero cruises booked on any cruise line since the overall fares charged are no longer justified by the vacation delivered, in our opinion. We are not against paying more if more is delivered in the experience. Right now, the environment is pay more, get less. Pay more for internet, get crappy speeds; pay more for beverage packages, get less selection; pay more for service charges, get less service; pay more for specialty dining, get fewer meals. NCL makes so many changes to itineraries and onboard product offering that we don't even know what we are booking anymore."

Perfectly said. It seams that all cruise companies, NCL including, want to go out of business and do not know how. Do not get us wrong. Cruise is our preferred type of travel. For us, it is better then land tour or all inclusive resort. Yes, the industry lost a lot of money during pandemic and because of that many people had to rethink their way of travel and vacation. In our opinion all these increases in fees (DSC, beverage gratuities,..)  and reductions in services are very discouraging and will make many people, including us, think twice before booking next cruise.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, R&G1996 said:

Perfectly said. It seams that all cruise companies, NCL including, want to go out of business and do not know how. Do not get us wrong. Cruise is our preferred type of travel. For us, it is better then land tour or all inclusive resort. Yes, the industry lost a lot of money during pandemic and because of that many people had to rethink their way of travel and vacation. In our opinion all these increases in fees (DSC, beverage gratuities,..)  and reductions in services are very discouraging and will make many people, including us, think twice before booking next cruise.   

Back in the day, the Cruise lines had to service their customers.  Now, they have to service their customers and also service huge debts.  It's the same across the industry.  If increased prices/reduced perks makes a cruise not worthwhile for you, then you should find a holiday venue that does.  Ultimately, they have to look out for only the best interests of their shareholders.

Actually the

55 minutes ago, KatHaven said:

Ultimately, they have to look out for only the best interests of their shareholders.

Actually, price of shares are gradually going down. So, maybe it is time to rethink the strategy and start serving customers again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R&G1996 said:

Actually the

Actually, price of shares are gradually going down. So, maybe it is time to rethink the strategy and start serving customers again.

NCLH has gone up 10% in the last three trading sessions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, mking8288 said:

Surprised 🙀 not at all.  This is consistent with hospitality trending elsewhere, realigning of service level. 

To be consistent with the trend as typically used as the excuse, NCL needs to also charge a high "resort fee" separate from gratuities and the regular fare. They can say it includes water and usage of the gym.

Perhaps, and again in alignment with the industry for long term stays, just have housekeeping once per cruise and a closet full of towels and linens.

Edited by HabitualLineStepper

On 12/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, njkate said:

Between higher fares, higher DSC and a reduction in services we shall see if people stop booking. Throw into that mix the sky high air fare if one has to fly. The days of cruising as a vacation that didn’t break the bank is coming to an end.

The industry is oversaturated. With all the positive stories I keep hearing about Virgin Cruises, one major line must exit the business for the industry to thrive. Will it be NCL?

7 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Is this thread for real or just roomours and typical cruise critics fear monggering. 

I haven’t seen a formal announcement made about it in any correspondence to passengers, just what I’m reading on here.

According to Cruise Industry News at Norwegian Cruise Line Trimming Stateroom Cleaning, Cutting Crew Roles - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News , it's a real thing.  The first ships were scheduled to be affected last week and this.  If it's happened, there should be feedback elsewhere decrying this change.  Maybe those who weren't in the know didn't know what to expect?  Or maybe it was already baked in?

I wouldn't expect a press release on this, but passengers might have received a memo.  Certainly, the cabin stewards (whatever they're titled these days) have to clue in the passengers on the affected ships.

26 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@marktwothousandOn the Getaway right now, the change date for this ship is 2/1/23, some of the cabin stewards have been extended to that date. We will be on the BA shortly after this cruise and it has already happen. I'll report back

Please keep us posted. We are in a 2 bedroom in April. The second room can stay in the nighttime configuration but I hope the sofa bed in the living room is not left out. If needed I can put away and make up at night but don't think I should have to. 

More importantly is my ice, I need ice at night available I get headaches and the ice bag helps.

Thanks for posting, enjoy your cruise.